Corsair GR.1

Started by Devilfish, February 26, 2023, 10:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

With the dissolution of Panavia almost as soon as it was created, due to differences in the various requirements of the different nations, the RAF still needed a modern low level strike aircraft.  The Buccaneer was filling the role superbly, so it was decided to upgrade them as a longer term stop-gap.  Unfortunately cracks were found in the wing spars of several aircraft, so the fleet was grounded while inspections took place. Along with the upgrade program, this left the British defences, especially in Germany, understaffed.  To fill the void, the RAF took possession of a stockpile of ex-USN A-7s, mostly 2 seaters, which were converted by Shorts to suit their new role.
Stationed at RAF Laarbruch, 112 Sqn was reformed with Corsair GR.1 aircraft, in the "wild weasel" role, generally armed with MARTEL missiles.

1/48 Hobbyboss TA-7C with MARTELs off new tool Airfix Buccaneer

20230223_190358 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20230223_190422 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20230223_190418 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20230223_190430 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20230223_190404 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20230223_190440 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Wardukw

Love the A-7 ...ive got one in the stash and it looks nothing like this  ;D
Epic stuff man ..love it  :wub:  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

Well done,  did I mention that I was in the Royal Auxiliary Air Force 1986-1997 working for 18 Group ?
Martle missiles were associated with the anti-ship operations of the Buccaneer.
Several aircraft were tested for the low flying role at 50 feet in the anti-shipping operations so your designation should be the GR.1B.
Although the RAF doesn't have a dedicated EW Squadron.

Pellson

Classic repaint! Very, very well executed! :wub:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitbasher

My 2015 1 Week GB Corsair GR.1 (https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=40410.msg679151#msg679151) still isn't finished!  But yours give a good impression of how mine could eventually look.

Top build  :thumbsup: , you can't go wrong with an A-7.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Grey and Green is quite definitely your 'thing', isn't it!?  ;D

The Corsair looks superb.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I love the A-7, so this is a winner with me anyway, but what a way to win! ;D That's brilliant, mate! :wub:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 27, 2023, 02:23:22 AMGrey and Green is quite definitely your 'thing', isn't it!?  ;D

The Corsair looks superb.  :thumbsup:

I don't know what you mean... ;)

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Devilfish

Quote from: McColm on February 27, 2023, 12:27:03 AMWell done,  did I mention that I was in the Royal Auxiliary Air Force 1986-1997 working for 18 Group ?
Several aircraft were tested for the low flying role at 50 feet in the anti-shipping operations so your designation should be the GR.1B.

I was an RAF Avionics techie from 1985 to 2007. 
The TV guided MARTEL was specifically anti-shipping, but the anti-radiation one was, well, Anti-radar.  Repurposing the TV Martel to take out missile launchers after the AR version has taken out the tracker and or search radar just makes sure the job is done properly.
GR.1b was the designation to differentiate the Sea Eagle equipped Tornado from it's non-SE capable brothers, so in this case it's not applicable, as all the Corsairs would be MARTEL capable.
I'm aware we don't have a dedicated WW Sqn (not EW, as 51 Sqn fill that role), but this is Whif-world, lol

McColm

Quote from: Devilfish on February 27, 2023, 06:53:01 AM
Quote from: McColm on February 27, 2023, 12:27:03 AMWell done,  did I mention that I was in the Royal Auxiliary Air Force 1986-1997 working for 18 Group ?

I was an RAF Avionics techie from 1985 to 2007. 
The TV guided MARTEL was specifically anti-shipping, but the anti-radiation one was, well, Anti-radar.  Repurposing the TV Martel to take out missile launchers after the AR version has taken out the tracker and or search radar just makes sure the job is done properly.
GR.1b was the designation to differentiate the Sea Eagle equipped Tornado from it's non-SE capable brothers, so in this case it's not applicable, as all the Corsairs would be MARTEL capable.
I'm aware we don't have a dedicated WW Sqn (not EW, as 51 Sqn fill that role), but this is Whif-world, lol
51 Squadron deals with signals intelligence monitoring not jamming or broadcasting  or eliminateing enemy radar sites so they told me when I visited RAF Wyton. Their Camberas and Nimrods never carried anti-radar missiles only missiles acting as a defence of the aircraft. Although the PR.9 was very cramped inside I have to admit viewing the curvature of the Earth was well worth it.
The Royal Navy's Camberas T.17s was the closest EW unit but used for training until the private sector took over.

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....