Saro SR153

Started by kitbasher, February 28, 2023, 11:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Lovely, and indeed very SARO-ized.  
;D  ;)

You cannot view this attachment.

kitbasher

Kind words jcf - apologies, I wasn't alerted to your post otherwise I'd have responded sooner.  Not familiar with the P.179 (at least I don't think I've seen it before), the '153' would have been very much like it had I not attached the rocket motor.

Wings, tailplane and wingtip missile rails are on, still some fairing in and sanding down to be done - thank goodness for the extension, I feel I should get this done by the revised deadline.

Underwing stores have been decided on, a mix of kit droptanks plus leftover Blue Jay missiles from Gannet Scale Models DH.117 kits.

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

jcf

Wardukw

Getting there basher  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kitbasher

Not much opportunity for modelling in recent weeks, hence my relief at noting the GB extension.  The 153 progresses: main u/c legs, pylons and missile rails fitted and the wheels are painted.  More niggly little bits of PSR required as the build progresses. 

I like the look of the 153 - pretty much as I envisaged - and have enjoyed the build (not least because I'm using up a few spares in the process), but competing (non-modelling) stuff means doubt I'll be done by the revised deadline.  Shame, but don't want to rush the build and be dissatisfied with the result.  So if needs be I'll plod on during the poll and share pics of the finished item after voting has ended.

Colour scheme decided, btw - Dark Green, Dark Sea Grey and High Speed Silver - ditto unit markings.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Pellson

Following this with great interest. I've always thought that Saro was on to something with that basic design, and that FAA, if they just would have let go of their obsession with two seater air defence aircraft, could have made good use of a fast, light, small and agile jet. Getting rid of the rocket and gaining better jet shape by going Skyhawk is a great idea!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Old Wombat

It's very much in the A-4 Skyhawk range for role & performance, I would have thought.

(Hence the initial structure of the build.)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitbasher

Phew, done in time for Telford!

SARO.153 Firestreak F.1 XH958, 43 Squadron, RAF Leuchars 1959

In 1952, Saunders-Roe (SARO) was awarded a contract to develop a combined rocket-and-jet-propelled interceptor aircraft, which was designated as the Saunders-Roe SR.53.  However, as development work on the project progressed, the shortcomings of the design became increasingly evident.

SARO become convinced of the necessity for an airborne radar unit to be carried by the aircraft, as the SR.53 was reliant upon on ground-based radar guidance and the pilot's own vision to intercept aircraft.  Out of a combined desire to equip the aircraft with a radar unit and to make greater use of turbojet power, a more ambitious design began to be drawn up.  While it had begun as an advanced design concept for the SR.53, upon the issuing of a development contract by the Ministry of Defence in May 1955, the project was given its own designation as the SR.153.

Initially, the SR.153 was a straightforward development of the SR.53, sharing much of the same configuration and equipment, and it was envisioned that the first test flight would take place during the first half of 1957. However, in February 1955, an extensive redesign of the SR.153 was commenced.  Of the changes made to the aircraft, major differences included the repositioning of the jet engine to the lower fuselage lobe, which was now fed with air via fuselage-mounted intakes.  The wing was also enlarged. The turbojet engine selected was the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire, capable of generating over 8,000 lbs of thrust.

The SR.153 would be able to add considerable endurance by conserving use of its rocket for the dash towards a target only. It was expected that the added endurance would allow the type to perform roles other than pure interception; these roles were expected to include strike and reconnaissance missions.

Following the maiden flight of the SR.53 in May 1957, the development of the SR.153 became the main focus of activity at Saunders-Roe. At this point, the project was viewed as having considerable large-scale potential, as both the RAF and Royal Navy appeared to be set to be customers for the SR.153, the RAF seeking to operate it alongside the incoming English Electric Lightning interceptors.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Negotiations on the exact number of aircraft sought by either service were protracted; but it had been established that there was demand for an initial batch of 27 SR.153s, and that sufficient tooling should be produced to enable the programme to transition rapidly to full-rate production. By April 1956, a consensus had emerged that, in order for the first five SR.153s to be completed by January 1958, these aircraft would be produced without any A.I. radar or the ability to support armaments. In July 1956, funding was secured for 27 aircraft to be produced, the first of which being expected to fly by April 1958.

During 1957, the fate of the SR.153 was to be subject to a massive re-thinking of air defence philosophy in Britain, being principally outlined in the infamous 1957 Defence White Paper, which called for manned combat aircraft to be replaced by missiles.

The only survivors of the sweeping changes brought about by the White Paper were the SR.153 (by this time named 'Firestreak') and the Lightning.  Both types entered service in 1959, the Firestreak F.1 with Leuchars-based 43 Squadron.  The model is as XH953 appeared at the RAF Leuchars press day in December 1959, set up to announce the Firestreak's entry into RAF service.  It carries two 'smoky' Blue Jays – they look like Blue Jays but in fact were only used to generate smoke during flying displays.  They were always painted blue and were a kind of precursor to the Sanders Smokewinder, as often seen on types such as F-16 display aircraft.

Firestreaks had been designed to carry four Blue Jay missiles but were rarely seen with more than two.  Indeed, in late 1960 it was decided that all Firestreaks would only carry two Blue Jays, the outer pylons only ever being fitted to carry additional drop tanks for ferry flights.  Meanwhile the Lightning would evolve to carry four missiles (the Red Top development of the Blue Jay) and become the RAF's principal home defence interceptor.

Firestreaks served in RAF Germany, Cyprus and Singapore until the early 1970s.

Camouflage scheme (Dark Green, Dark Sea Grey and High Speed Silver) is inspred by the Gloster Javelin's (delta with T-tail).  National markings courtesy of the faithful Modeldecal sheet 47; serial, roundel bars (cut to size a tad) and Fighting Cock emblem from a 1982 SAM decal sheet!

PR19_Kit

It was great to see the Firestreak in al its styrene glory on the stand Dave.

It raised a LOT of interest from the viewing public, almost none of them (or of us, if the truth were known....) could figure out what it was built from, despite the fact that you've posted it all on here.  :banghead:  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Splendid job - well done. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Still think it should be called Thunderbolt...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 13, 2023, 08:29:11 AMStill think it should be called Thunderbolt...

Tbh I did struggle for a name and if you've previously suggested 'Thunderbolt' then apols for forgetting, Lee.  Yes it's a good choice. 'Thunderbolts' and 'Lightnings' (very, very frightening indeed).

'Firestreak' came about because a) I wanted something with a rocket connotation, and b) JUSTIFICATION ALERT Blue Jay was developed into Red Top and Firestreak never happened as a missile.  So no confusion there, then!

DogfighterZen

That looks pretty good!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: A very well SAROfized Skyhawk... ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 13, 2023, 05:54:06 AMIt was great to see the Firestreak in al its styrene glory on the stand Dave.

It raised a LOT of interest from the viewing public, almost none of them (or of us, if the truth were known....) could figure out what it was built from, despite the fact that you've posted it all on here.  :banghead:  :banghead:

Yup we had an interesting conversation on that subject Kit  :banghead:

Great model  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.