DONE @p.3 +++ 1:72 BAC Jet Provost T(R).5B, RAF 79 Sq., Operation Granby, 1991

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 01, 2023, 12:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

An early place holder, because one of my next builds accidently fits into the GBs framework - and it is a response to one of SPINNERS' recent CG renditions: a Strikemaster/Jet Provost T.5 in Desert Pink from the 1st Gulf War, which was kindly drawn up after I suggested this livery as a reaction to a very nice all-grey Jet Provost:

More views of the animated skin here: https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=18821.msg987818#msg987818

I have a suitable Airfix kit in The Stashâ„¢ that allows to build a T.5. It will not be a 100% copy of the profile/CG skin, but come close with some personal mods and ideas.  :wacko:

Dizzyfugu

Work on this is on the way, yet slowly. Lots of flash and mediovre fit, a typical vintage Airfix kit. Which, in itself, is not bad. And it features the most complicated landing light arrangement I have ever come across: five(!) single parts if you include the front cover. Why the mold designer did not just provide a single clear piece with three lens-shaped dents at the back - and instead went for a bulkhead, three(!) separate and tiny clear lenses PLUS a clear cover that is supposed to fit into a shaggy nose opening - is beyond me?
However, I still had a Pave Spike pod in the Hasegawa sets that will find its way under one wing, and a "Dash 10" (AN/ALQ-101) ECM pod for the other side (left over from a vintage Revell F-16, the prototype kit with the extra engine). I won't add more offensive ordnance (Paveway LGB as suggested by SPINNERS) since I doubt that the Jet Provost had enough carrying capacity or speed for them, and I rather will stick to the OOB drop tanks to extend range and loiter time as a frontline target designator. SNEB pods were considered as alternative, but rejected.
I will also not paint if completely in Desert Pink, just the upper surfaces, and leave the undersides grey, as if a low-viz trainer machine had been hastily re-painted.

AeroplaneDriver

Not to be the one peeing in the punchbowl, but is this allowed per the rules?  Post on the "Rules" thread indicates 50s designs in later service are NOT within the scope....
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Dizzyfugu

Isn't it? Well, then my planned DSB V 200 project would not quelify, either?  :-\

AeroplaneDriver

This is the post I am referencing...

"Physical models of any scale, profiles, and stories are eligible but your subject must be a whif that was either built, designed, proposed, considered or used and in service during the 1950's.  Subjects from this era, but in later use are not permitted (eg: a EE Lightning in 1972 service with Switzerland is not eligible)"

I've asked for clarification as I had an idea that I assumed was not allowed based on this post. 

Dizzyfugu

Yep, I saw the discussion, but there were was IMO no clear/final statement, just open discussion, so I assume(d) the original liberal definition was still relevant?Well, I'll keep posting here - the thread can be moved, if need be.

AeroplaneDriver

I dunno man...seems pretty clear in the post I referenced.  I will say the rules here seem to be harder than need be.  "In service in the 1950s" seems to cover it.  Hate to see you spend time on an entry that will not be eligible. 

NARSES2

I have asked the Mods to remind me what was actually decided and then I'll go in and amend the rules accordingly, lock that thread and post them separately.

Apologies for not doing it previously, other things on my mind etc.

Without wishing to pre-empt the Mods final decision my understanding is that 1950's subjects in use post 1959 are not  eligible for the GB.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Could you please move this thread into the general aircraft sub-section?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot, that's great service!  :thumbsup:

BTW, the model made some progress. Fuselage closed and wings in place, but fit is horrible, there are even classic sinkholes. More PSR than expected.

AeroplaneDriver

Always loved the JP/Strikemaster. Looking forward to this one.  Really wish Airfix would give a Mk.5 their modern 1/48 treatment. 

Dizzyfugu

I wish they'd to a treatment tothe 1:72 kit, too! It''s "unpleasant" to build, to say the least...  :-\

PR19_Kit

There's a resin update for the Strikemaster cockpit, but not sure if it's still available.

I used it on my JP6 delta trainer, and it seems it was Obscureco who made them.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit