DONE @p.3 +++ 1:72 BAC Jet Provost T(R).5B, RAF 79 Sq., Operation Granby, 1991

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 01, 2023, 12:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Hmm, I suspect that such an effort would hardly be worthwhile for the Airfix kit. Nothing really fits on this kit, including the cockpit tub. However, the OOB dashboard and the seats are quite nice, as well as the pilot figures.

Dizzyfugu

More good progress over the weekend, painting and decals have been almost finished - and the thing looks weird and good at the same time! I was lucky to find a tin of Humbrol 250 in my enamels hoard (FS 30279, the authentic Desert Sand a.k.a. Desert Pink tone). I was skeptical first, but on the aircraft it works well, esp. with some low-viz markings. And I never thought that I'd use "Skin" as part of a model camouflage or weathering effects - but the tone (in this case Revell 35) is very close to the Desert Sand, just a tad lighter.

Dizzyfugu

Almost done with the Gulf War Jet Provost. Just the ordnance is still missing, and I was able to get the model onto its three feet. The Airfix Strikemaster is VERY tail-heavy, and even though I filled the area behind the landing lights cluster and the dashboard with lead it still tipped over. Luckily I had not yet mounted the seats into the cockpit, and its missing rear bulkhead allowed me to add more weight to shift the CoG forward. It worked, and as a bonus there's now "something" behind the seats that hides the OOB gaping hole there... With its odd brownish livery and the low-viz markings the thing looks really purposeful and disturbingly plausible! Curious for eventual scenic pictures.  ;D

Pics coming soon, just posted a thread for the last finished project before the Jet Provost. The V 200 is still in the brake fluid bath, so that I might start a submission for the "Fifties" GB next.

Wardukw

Not on of my fav aircraft by a long shot Dizzy but I am very interested to see what you can do with it matey  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

As a late addition, some impressions from the WiP phase.

The cockpit, which is not bad at all. The lead beads in front of the dashboard later turned out to be by far not enough to keep the tail up.

1:72 BAC Jet Provost T(R).5B; aircraft '04 ('Rookie'); s/n XR679' of No. 92 (R) Squadron, during Operation Granby/Desert Storm; Muharraq Airport (Bahrain), early 1991 (What-if/modified Airfix kit) - WiP by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

I checked it, but noone was left behind in the cleft between fuselage and wing section!  :-\

1:72 BAC Jet Provost T(R).5B; aircraft '04 ('Rookie'); s/n XR679' of No. 92 (R) Squadron, during Operation Granby/Desert Storm; Muharraq Airport (Bahrain), early 1991 (What-if/modified Airfix kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

PSR galore to hide this (and other gaps/sinkholes), plus some scratched chaff dispensers

1:72 BAC Jet Provost T(R).5B; aircraft '04 ('Rookie'); s/n XR679' of No. 92 (R) Squadron, during Operation Granby/Desert Storm; Muharraq Airport (Bahrain), early 1991 (What-if/modified Airfix kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

More bits and pieces, plus PSR...

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Humbrol 250 as base color, and it is a good representation of FS 30279.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Even though did not want to I added a black anti-glare panel, just like in SPINNERS' CG rendition. Without it the Jet Provost looked like a dead tadpole...  :unsure:

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Undersides in Barley Grey (Humbrol 167, already post-shaded with Humbrol 64), with Desert Sand taken around the leading edges, nose an air intakes:

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Final painting stage with post-panel-shading (with Revell 35 Skin!) before the application of decals:

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Model has been finished now, waiting for scenic photography in desert settings.  :lol:

Wardukw

Lovely stuff for such a crap kit....im looking towards to end result mate  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Not much new here - no photo session, due to sickness (allergy shock, plus a quick but tough cold on top :-\ ), but there was still a WiP photo left on the camera with the Jet Provost in full markings:

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Wardukw

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Wardukw