Fairey-Kaman K-9 Helicrane ++FINISHED ++

Started by McColm, March 02, 2023, 08:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I'm using the 1/72 Airfix Fairey Rotodyne for the base model and parts from my various spares boxes. My previous ideas have run into problems which I don't know how to solve, so I'm using experience from my past work based on the Westland Ravernclaw and making improvements.
The rotor blades are contra-rotating, I'm using the set from the Revell Rotodyne with the contra-rotating propellers from the Revell Avro Shackleton MR.3 with the Eland turboprops included in the Airfix kit.

PR19_Kit

Hmmm, a well Whiffed FAA Rescue Rotodyne we were given at a show a while back has contra rotating main rotors too. The model's in my care at the moment and I'll post some pics of it when I get home.

But I pointed out to the builder that the 'dyne didn't need contra-rotating rotors as it was tip driven and therefore there was no torque reaction.....................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Joe C-P

When mounting the upper rotor blades ensure you add brass or steel wire supports; glue will not be sufficient, I know from experience.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 02, 2023, 09:09:07 AMHmmm, a well Whiffed FAA Rescue Rotodyne we were given at a show a while back has contra rotating main rotors too. The model's in my care at the moment and I'll post some pics of it when I get home.

But I pointed out to the builder that the 'dyne didn't need contra-rotating rotors as it was tip driven and therefore there was no torque reaction.....................
It's a bit late for that, I've already glued them together.

McColm

Quote from: JoeP on March 02, 2023, 09:34:38 AMWhen mounting the upper rotor blades ensure you add brass or steel wire supports; glue will not be sufficient, I know from experience.

Yes it usually snaps off but I used a thicker piece of plastic as I don't have any superglue. I should have thought this through.

McColm

This is what the general layout will be, with the sink holes filled in and a suitable paint scheme.
The main rotors are not glued on nor are the wings at this stage.

Which through time and development would end up as the Westland Ravernclaw Series 100.
Shown here with mockup long-range fuel tanks.

McColm

Another design change sees the roll-on-roll-off version evolving and I knew that the Italeri Boeing MH-47E SOA Chinnook would come in handy as a parts donor.

I found a second pair of Airfix Fairey Rotodyne rear doors which almost fits where the cockpit should go. I have also managed to temporary mislay one of the forward landing gear from the Italeri kit when it dropped on the floor of my hobby room. Three landing gear legs might be sufficient.

Taking a lunch break, the build will continue....

McColm

It appears that I have another idea, so I will be buying another Airfix Fairey Rotodyne and using most of the Chinnook fuselage. It will resemble a Heliplane rather than the Rotodyne. I did try this design before but I now know how to rectify my mistakes. Measure twice, cut once.

McColm

As there's a design change to the Fairey Rotodyne and usage, I've renamed the build. I Googled Kaman Corporation and the K-13 concept could have fitted between the Huskie & the Seasprite.
Pioneering the coaxial rotors and new technology.
The rear camshell doors have been glued on and pieces from the Boeing Chinnook landing gear added on. The cockpit is from the 1/144 Airfix Hovercraft, painted but not glued in place.

Wings glued on and evidence of PSR on the front loading doors.

kerick

Rotors and props flying everywhere! Awesome!
With the rotors and props on I can't help thinking heavy lift chopper like the Skycrane!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

ericr

impressive kitbash !

and the roll-on-roll-off feature is quite striking indeed !

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Quote from: ericr on March 06, 2023, 02:20:27 PMimpressive kitbash !

and the roll-on-roll-off feature is quite striking indeed !

Thanks.
I  think that I will build something similar with the doors in the open position,  later on in the year.

McColm

Three Ford Anglias can be accommodated in the cargo hold, so there's a possibility for use as an air ferry, the Heliplane would probably end up being called the Helicrane so salvage work is another string to it's bow.
The contra-rotating propellers would be dropped in favour for the Allison T56 turboprops but would keep the coaxial rotors, soundproofing and a hush-kit for commercial users.
I'm not too sure of the military designation V-13 or H-13?