Fairey-Kaman K-9 Helicrane ++FINISHED ++

Started by McColm, March 02, 2023, 08:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

H-13 is also known as the Bell47 helicopter Mac..the MASH chopper ..if your thinking of the skycrane that'd the Sikorsky S-64 .
Tell ya one thing mate..I'd love to see a real version of your..would be great to hear and see it fly  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 07, 2023, 09:27:30 AMH-13 is also known as the Bell47 helicopter Mac..the MASH chopper ..if your thinking of the skycrane that'd the Sikorsky S-64 .
Tell ya one thing mate..I'd love to see a real version of your..would be great to hear and see it fly  ;D
Changed to K-9. It would be very loud when warming up . I think that there's a few videos of the Fairey Rotodyne on YouTube and there's a recording of the engines on this forum.
PR_19 Kit would be the person to contact about the Rotodyne.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on March 07, 2023, 10:23:09 AMPR_19 Kit would be the person to contact about the Rotodyne.

Only about the NOISE!  :-\

I think I'm the only person on here who actually saw and heard the darn thing, and at close range too! No wonder I need TWO hearing aids!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Flight testing has begun on HMS Eagle, the contra-rotating propellers having been changed to the four bladed Hamiltons. The Royal Navy and the USNAVY are interested in a C.O.D. variant with the possibility of in-flight refuelling of their helicopters. North American has installed a fly-by-wire control system and  Fairey a rotor blade stowage system.
The F.A.A. is satisfied with the hush-kit noise reduction which has been recommended to the C.A.A. for approval and six more demonstration K-9s will be built with the designation Kaman V-9 Skycrane. Although Fairey hold the rights to the Rotodyne, Kaman was the nominated builder underliecence due to the design changes. It is hoped that the Skycrane and Rotodyne will be a military & commercial success.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

McColm

Just waiting for the paint to dry.
The colour is a mixture of orange and crimson red acrylic paint,  applied with a really soft paint brush.

kerick

Is it too late to add the CH-47 side sponsons? That would really change the look!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Quote from: kerick on March 08, 2023, 07:38:53 AMIs it too late to add the CH-47 side sponsons? That would really change the look!
As you can see on the Revell Fairey Rotodyne which is now the Westland Ravernclaw Series 100, the sponsons covers most of the windows. I have tried this before with another Airfix Rotodyne.
They also fit the 1/72 EH-101 Merlin helicopter.

No it's not, as per request.

The rear ends could house chaff or sonorbouys

McColm

Flight trials aboard HMS Eagle continues with the new addition of a pair of long-range fuel tanks fitted to the fuselage. A rear launched towed sonor or sonor bouys can be stored similar to the Grumman Tracker for anti-submarine warfare in the aft space of the new fuel sponsons.
Various radar sets were fitted in the front door loading space, including two sets. One in the front and one at the rear creating the first Helicrane AEW which was successful with an endurance of 6 hours whilst on station.
The USMarines saw the Helicrane as a special missions aircraft, three Jeeps or Zodiacs could be carried. The side fuel sponsons kept the Helicrane afloat for the deployment of the Zodiacs, something that the Boeing Chinnook would adopt as well as taking styling cues from.
 The front and rear doors would be water tight when closed and the new sponsons self-sealing.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

I've been awake since 3:30am this morning,  the twin fuel sponsons have been trimmed for a better fit. (Best to fit these before gluing the fuselage halves together and paint before adding the engines. )
It's a temporary acrylic paint scheme, with  different coloured paint patches , a bit fiddly with a paint brush. The masking tape didn't work and some of the red paint has seeped underneath it.
Looks a bit twisted due to a heavy landing, the engineers wanted to make repairs but due to the demanding flight trials schedule it was left alone and didn't affect the Helicrane's performance.

McColm

I found some decals to play with.
Tyres, rotors,  propellers ,landing gear and the cockpit need painting. Doors and steps need to be fitted and a few stencils. Rear fuselage fuel tanks need finishing.  Plus some weathering and exhaust pipes need painting.

kerick

Tophe the Wise

McColm

Flight trials continues with Canada joining in and their ground crew adding some nose art.. During a NATO Exercise at RAF Gibraltar.

The build is starting to come together, a few more parts need to be added. Should be completed in the next two weeks.

McColm

It's finished,  I can't do anymore otherwise I will spoil it. Apologies for the paint work it was applied by hand using acrylic paint with a paint brush. I did try using masking tape but the paint seeped underneath it in places. It has a worn look to it, patches and weathering (probably where I have missed bits or my hand started shaking. My nerves are shot to pieces. )
Enjoy!