B-29 "Washington", R.A.E. test bed *finished + new pics*

Started by sandiego89, March 02, 2023, 03:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Mate that's got me bloody interested now..I had the 48th Monogram B-29 as a much younger person and still want another..this one has me thinking  ;D
This build I be watching very closely   :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

If you have or are removeing the lower forward turret then you should remove the lump at the rear of the cockpit floor which is the top of the turret interior.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sandiego89

Quote from: Gondor on March 11, 2023, 02:04:22 PMIf you have or are removeing the lower forward turret then you should remove the lump at the rear of the cockpit floor which is the top of the turret interior.

Gondor

Think the hump will even be visible? 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Gondor

It is if you look straight on through the nose

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Pellson

..or you paint the ex-turret cover dielectric and keep the hump to cover your equipment.. ;)

Cool project!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on March 12, 2023, 03:46:52 AM..or you paint the ex-turret cover dielectric and keep the hump to cover your equipment.. ;)

That would be silly as we are talking about a lump at the rear of the cockpit floor. On the inside of the aircraft. If I manage to dig out my kit of the aircraft I will take pictures.

Gondor

zenrat

Heh, those sprues look familiar from the Academy C-97 I keep grokking and then putting back in the stash.

Your pictures are not helping me resist buying one of these...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

OK, Second attempt at getting this posted....

I managed to dig out and take pictures of the part build Academy/Minicraft kit I have. I also have

B-29A  to be built as a SB-29 using a Paragon Designes conversion set
KB-29P to be built as a Tu4/B-29 Washington using Olimp detail sets
RB-50G to be built as per the kit  :unsure:
B-50D  to be built as a KB-50J
KC-97L to be built as per the kit  :unsure:
KB-29P to be built as per the kit with eduard etch brass and scratch built detail and the subject of the following pictures. Everything is dry fitted and held together by luck and friction.

First up is an overview of the fuselage with the interior fitted. Note the filler on the top of the cockpit area which fills in the detail for the B-50 in-flight refuelling receptical.

Next up is the mid fuselage gunners station on the bomber aircraft. The white plastic is where I removed the High Chair for the upper gunner in this compartment as it was not needed. The white plastic where the turret was is not to fill the hole, it's to stop the blanking plate from falling through into the interior when it's fitted.

Next is an overview of the interior of the aircraft. The rear most presure dome is fitted to help provide structural strength and to help keep everything in it's place.

You can see in this picture the opening in the top of the tunnel where the Astro dome is. The kit parts for the tunnel provide flat surfaces for this area so the part will fit under the opening yet no hole for anyone to look out of  :unsure:  There white plastic in the floor of the rear of the cockpit floor is where the top of the lower front gun turret was.

Lastly the cockpit area as it is as the moment, a decade or three after buying the kit.

Hope the pictures help

Gondor

sandiego89

Quote from: zenrat on March 12, 2023, 05:20:38 AMHeh, those sprues look familiar from the Academy C-97 I keep grokking and then putting back in the stash.

Your pictures are not helping me resist buying one of these...

So far it seems to be a great kit, and with the options to build a regular B-29, a Silver Plate B-29 or a KB-29.  Imagine they used some common sprues for the  C-97/KC-97 and the B-50/KB-50 kits.  Clever kit.  I note the clear sprue has the B-29 nose glazing but also the distinctive B-50 nose glazing. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

Gondor

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 12, 2023, 06:11:50 AMSo far it seems to be a great kit, and with the options to build a regular B-29, a Silver Plate B-29 or a KB-29.  Imagine they used some common sprues for the  C-97/KC-97 and the B-50/KB-50 kits.  Clever kit.  I note the clear sprue has the B-29 nose glazing but also the distinctive B-50 nose glazing. 

Lots of bits for the spares box  :wacko:

Gondor

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

Quote from: Gondor on March 12, 2023, 06:04:26 AMOK, Second attempt at getting this posted....

I managed to dig out and take pictures of the part build Academy/Minicraft kit I have. I also have

B-29A  to be built as a SB-29 using a Paragon Designes conversion set
KB-29P to be built as a Tu4/B-29 Washington using Olimp detail sets
RB-50G to be built as per the kit  :unsure:
B-50D  to be built as a KB-50J
KC-97L to be built as per the kit  :unsure:
KB-29P to be built as per the kit with eduard etch brass and scratch built detail and the subject of the following pictures. Everything is dry fitted and held together by luck and friction.

Lastly the cockpit area as it is as the moment, a decade or three after buying the kit.

Hope the pictures help

Gondor

Thank you so much!  You may have a thing about B-29 variants!  As I mentioned in the last post, they seem to have gotten quite a bit out of this mould with multiple B-29/B-50/C-97 variants. 

Thank you for dragging those out and taking pictures, much appreciated. 

Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on March 12, 2023, 04:42:04 AM
Quote from: Pellson on March 12, 2023, 03:46:52 AM..or you paint the ex-turret cover dielectric and keep the hump to cover your equipment.. ;)

That would be silly as we are talking about a lump at the rear of the cockpit floor. On the inside of the aircraft. If I manage to dig out my kit of the aircraft I will take pictures.

Gondor

Happily admitting to being silly, what I meant was that a downwards looking radar, such as a Doppler navigation radar for the V-bombers, would have fitted behind a flat(ish) panel seen from the exterior, but obviously still had taken up some volume on the inside. As the hump most likely would have been existing when the B-29 in question was taken in hand for modification to research vehicle, I was just suggesting that the hump was kept unaltered if something else, like a Doppler radar, was fitted underneath.

No offence taken in any case. As I regularly am silly anyway and is getting away with it, I reckon you're just evening out the score somewhat..  ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

If it all goes wrong you can try using the B-17F cockpit and a solid nose cone, here's one I built earlier and I hope to have another chance of building it.

Then there's this if you run into problems with the engines ,it's an ongoing build.

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on March 12, 2023, 07:00:38 AM
Quote from: Gondor on March 12, 2023, 04:42:04 AM

Gondor

Happily admitting to being silly, what I meant was that a downwards looking radar, such as a Doppler navigation radar for the V-bombers, would have fitted behind a flat(ish) panel seen from the exterior, but obviously still had taken up some volume on the inside. As the hump most likely would have been existing when the B-29 in question was taken in hand for modification to research vehicle, I was just suggesting that the hump was kept unaltered if something else, like a Doppler radar, was fitted underneath.

No offence taken in any case. As I regularly am silly anyway and is getting away with it, I reckon you're just evening out the score somewhat..  ;D

I was refering to it being Dialetric rather than metal. Dialetric panels are often a fiberglass type of material and not necessarily very strong. Metal would also act an a barrier to an extent to RF radiation if some ended up being directed back into the aircraft..

Gondor