USMC/USN Sea Harrier

Started by Spino, March 05, 2023, 12:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spino

Still haven't done the new radome yet, can't decide whether I like it or the existing one better.  I'm going to swap the AIM-9Ms for AIM-9Xs to match the rest of the loadout, and I'll probably end up making a new canopy for improved pilot visibility, like the Harrier II.  Getting the det cord on it to look right will probably be a nightmare though.

sandiego89

The funny thing about Harrier/Sea Harrier radomes is that they really change the whole look of the aircraft.  The Sea Harrier FRS1 was a great-looking aircraft, but the moderately changed larger radar in the FA2 resulted in a worse-looking (but more capable) aircraft. 

The original Gr1/AV-8A was smart looking.  We shall not mention the laser nose Gr3.

The AV8B looked better before it got a radar and other lumps on the nose.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 14, 2023, 03:40:12 PMThe funny thing about Harrier/Sea Harrier radomes is that they really change the whole look of the aircraft.  The Sea Harrier FRS1 was a great-looking aircraft, but the moderately changed larger radar in the FA2 resulted in a worse-looking (but more capable) aircraft. 

The original Gr1/AV-8A was smart looking.  We shall not mention the laser nose Gr3.

The SHAR is truly the best looking of the Harrier Family. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

My fave is the all-over green GR5, or the 2-seat T10 even more.

I should get on and build one of them though!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I have an Australian Navy Harrier (an AV-8B+) on my agenda, as a strike/air defense component for the new Canberra Class ships, a secret favorite of mine is the GR.3 in NATO/Lichen Green - not certain if that was a one-off, though, AFAIK the GR.5 livery was used on the earlier model in 1984 during an exercise. A GR.3 in Dark Camouflage Grey (late Tonky style) could also look good?

Scotaidh

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 14, 2023, 03:40:12 PMThe funny thing about Harrier/Sea Harrier radomes is that they really change the whole look of the aircraft.  The Sea Harrier FRS1 was a great-looking aircraft, but the moderately changed larger radar in the FA2 resulted in a worse-looking (but more capable) aircraft. 

I really like the GR3 - I have the 1/24 model of it yet to build.  :)

'Course, I was in love with the Harrier from the first day I heard about it.  I was really bummed when it was handed over to McDD, and really hate what was done to it - raised cockpit and all.  Made it all fat and round, the Americans did.  Somehow the Sea Harrier, even with the raised cockpit, didn't do that - it stayed sleek and deadly-looking. 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit link=msg=995738 date=168154296
My fave is the all-over green GR5, or the 2-seat T10 even more.

/quote]

And I have a soft spot for the two-seat T2, T4, T8/TAV8A

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 15, 2023, 12:40:27 AM......secret favorite of mine is the GR.3 in NATO/Lichen Green - not certain if that was a one-off, though, AFAIK the GR.5 livery was used on the earlier model in 1984 during an exercise. A GR.3 in Dark Camouflage Grey (late Tonky style) could also look good?

Agree the Lichen is great, and the one-off Nordic schemes with the white for exercises is really great. 

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 14, 2023, 07:54:08 PMThe SHAR is truly the best looking of the Harrier Family. 

Agree! 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Spino

Actually I think I may just leave the nose as-is, I started to think the same way.

Spino

So the new plan is to leave the Sea Harrier FRS.1 nose, and use the canopy that came with the model as well.  Pictures soon (I hope).

Spino

Dry-fitted the canopy, glued on the HUD and windscreen, and added a crude JHMCS-type object to the pilot's helmet using hot glue.  I still need to paint the top part of it so it will hopefully look right.  Nose and tail painted Tamiya semi-gloss black to match the high-viz fuel tanks.  I also had a bit of Tamiya gull grey SF-64 or something like that, so in addition to the base grey color I added some of that for a very subdued grey camouflage scheme.

Spino

Have to look in the paintbox to see what I have available, I'm considering adding a bit of green for a camo scheme kind of like this:You cannot view this attachment.

Only maybe not so much green...

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spino

Turns out, there was no green in the box, only flat olive and flat brown.  I didn't figure either one would go well with the current scheme, so I'll probably just leave it as-is unless I get round to a hobby store for some green paint.

I'm mulling over painting the pilot's new visor black, it might be difficult to get right.  The upper part of his JHMCS/Scorpion HMD is painted Tamiya XF-54 grey to match the rest of the helmet.  Here's a couple photos of it.
You cannot view this attachment.

And here's a dry-fit of the pilot in the cockpit.

The drop tanks have been painted semi-gloss black now to match the nose and tail.

Spino

I now have some minor paintwork to finish and I need to find some appropriate decals for the Sea Harrier II.  I'm holding off on putting the pilot in the cockpit and gluing the canopy on because I want to add a custom instrument panel like the one in the Harrier II.

Spino

Also I discovered that the Harrier II's countermeasure dispensers are faired on instead of just boxes jutting out from the fuselage, which makes sense if you think about it.  It just means the ones I added need some putty and sanding to look right.