Boeing B-54B, the Half-Way Bomber

Started by PR19_Kit, March 06, 2023, 07:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

And spare runner, too. At least using that, the trenches you have to fill are obvious without a coat of paint...  :banghead:

Coming along well, Kit - hoping to see it finished as and when.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Various posts on the X-13 and XF-85 have been moved to the new threads.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 28, 2023, 08:10:18 AMAh, now I understand! :thumbsup:

Yup, apologies but the site has a rather "messy" way of moving posts from one thread to another I'm afraid and it was a bit beyond me given the number that needed shifting. This was the easiest way for me to deal with it, and it still took a couple of hours  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spino

@PR19_Kit there's probably a good reason why you don't see turboprops on pylons.  We are probably all familiar with how dangerous the Avia S.199s with the HE-111 engines were.  What made them so dangerous was the large, wide prop blades combined with a very bad gear ratio for a single engine aircraft - this created an enormous amount of torque and made the plane prone to flipping over on takeoff if the throttle was advanced too quickly.  I imagine that turboprops would impose a potentially dangerous amount of torque on the pylon if they were so mounted, though that would be negated by having stacked contra-rotating props like this build does.  Something about it just doesn't seem quite right though, but that may just be me.

PR19_Kit

Heavens yes, that's why I've kept the contraprops from the Bear as part of the build.

Or I will do when I get back to it.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Kit it's the contraprops which are really going to set this off..normal propellers I think wouldn't cut it for looks..when ya get back to it that is  :wacko:  :angel:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

Just make the landing gear taller ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on May 02, 2023, 03:58:03 AMJust make the landing gear taller ;D

The main legs can stay as they are as I can position their upper anchorage point to almost any height in the fuselage.

At least I THINK I can anyway, I've not actually cut plastic on that front as yet............  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

Hi PR19_Kit ,
The Boeing Model 464-25 is worth studying as it looks uncannily like your build. I would recommend the 'Boeing B-47 Stratrojet and B-52 Stratofortress: Origins and Evolution, book written by Scott Lowther.
I paid £27 for my copy.

PR19_Kit

I think that's the one that ended up as the B-55 proposal., but there were so many of them!

Regards
Kit

McColm

There's more than seven different concepts for the B-55, the delta wing looks very similar to the Grumman A-12 Avenger design.