DONE @p.5 +++ Republic F-96B 'Thunderguard', USAF 325th FIS, 1959

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 07, 2023, 11:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Still an early placeholder, but I have eventually found a suitable kit in The Stashâ„¢ for an eligible project for this GB. MB-1 Genie carriers seem to be quite popular this eason, so I will throw in another one: the Republic F-96B, an all-weather interceptor based on the (Italeri) RF-84G kit, as a replacement for the F-94 Starfire and an eventual stopgap for the delayed F-101B Voodoo in the late Fifties.

Stay tuned.  :mellow:

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Nothing new here, yet. Was quite busy (again) recently, and just lacked mojo to start.  :-\

Tophe

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 07, 2023, 11:57:37 PMthe Republic F-96B, an all-weather interceptor based on the (Italeri) RF-84G kit,
What are the expected modifications from RG-84G into F-96B? :unsure:

It seems our friend here TomZ already tried to build a F-96, see https://www.airwar1946.nl/whif/L46-F96.htm <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Dizzyfugu

Nothing new here, try to stir my mojo with a mecha build, so it's still uncertain ETA.  :-\

Plan for the F-96B is to modify the nose with a radome, plus potentially a tandem cockpit for pilot and WSO, with a new canopy and a suitable cockpit tub.
Armament will only consist of missiles, probably two Genies and two or four Falcons under the outer wings. Rear fuslage/tailpipe might also be modified widened behind the air brakes for an afterburner engine. Plan is to make this thing supersonic., filling a gap between tze F-94 and the F-101B.
Paint scheme yet uncertain; classic USAF NMF or ADC Grey, maybe an ANG unit, with some bright color details.

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 31, 2023, 01:28:06 AMNothing new here, try to stir my mojo with a mecha build, so it's still uncertain ETA.  :-\

Plan for the F-96B is to modify the nose with a radome, plus potentially a tandem cockpit for pilot and WSO, with a new canopy and a suitable cockpit tub.
Armament will only consist of missiles, probably two Genies and two or four Falcons under the outer wings. Rear fuslage/tailpipe might also be modified widened behind the air brakes for an afterburner engine. Plan is to make this thing supersonic., filling a gap between tze F-94 and the F-101B.
Paint scheme yet uncertain; classic USAF NMF or ADC Grey, maybe an ANG unit, with some bright color details.

This is slipping right into my main interest period and technology focus. Looking forward to it!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Tophe

Dizzyfugu

It*'s quite hard to squeeze this aircraft into the Fifties time frame, but it should have entered service around '58 or '59 - to be quickly superseded by Mach 2 designs.  :wacko:

Dizzyfugu

This thread has been quiet for a while, but I'll try to tackle this project soon so that I have at least one submission for this GB.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Good news! Things started moving yesterday, and since I had some weeks to think about the project and its many modifications, progress was very good.
First thing I tackled was the different tail section, to simulate an afterburner version of the engine with a bigger diameter and nozzle. I eventually found a good implant in the rear section of an Italeri B-66 engine nacelle, which had to be narrowed through wegde-shaped cutouts in their spinal area to match the F-84 fuselage right behind the air brakes, as planned. It's also a bit longer now, and I eventually implanted a different, wider nozzle (IIRC a leftover piece from a horrible Nakotne MiG-29 - stay away from this *shudder*). It still has to be fused with the F-84 fuselage, though.

1:72 Republic F-96B 'Thunderguard'; USAF, late Fifties (What-if/modified Italeri kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

This was also modified, to accept a tandem cockpit for an additional WSO in the rear seat under a new/extended canopy. The latter as well as the cockpit tub with most of the interior come from a Heller T-33, and have already mounted into the cockpit opening. For the new strutless canopy, which is almost perfect in length and width, I can use the original F-84 opeing, I just had to cut the rear windows away and bring the fuselage on an even level with styrene strips. Looks very promising so far, and the rest of the T-33 might be converted into an F-80E later (with Saab 29 wings and a single-seat cockpit), as another GB submission.  :wacko:

1:72 Republic  F-96B 'Thunderguard'; USAF, late Fifties (What-if/modified Italeri kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Republic  F-96B 'Thunderguard'; USAF, late Fifties (What-if/modified Italeri kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The nose section is also already under modification. The camera windows were closed and a pointed radome (IIRC it's the tail cone from a Matchbox Buccaneer!) stuck to the original front- I also try to make the flat camera window areas disappear under putty, so that the nose become round all around and reminds more of the F-105 than the RF-84G.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

From the Thunderchief I also adopted the idea of swept air intakes - quite easy to realize with the Italeri Thunderflash, and I will add scrathed splitter plates later for a more convincing, supersonic look.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

One area that is still open is the fin - I am not certain if I will stick with the original one, as it appears quiet small for this enlarged aircraft. I have an alternative at hand, though, but I will wait until the fuselage is complete and mated with the wings to make a decision.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Yes, thank you! In the meantime, pics have been added above, and the fuselage has been completed. Man, is this thing ugly...  :unsure:

1:72 Republic F-96B 'Thunderguard'; USAF, late Fifties (What-if/modified Italeri kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Lots of PSR ahead, but you can already recognize the idea of the "missing link" between the F-84F and the F-105?