DONE @p.5 +++ Republic F-96B 'Thunderguard', USAF 325th FIS, 1959

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 07, 2023, 11:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Reminds me of a baby F-105, maybe that's what it grew into ?

Looks good in that scheme Dizzy
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 19, 2023, 12:12:33 AMReminds me of a baby F-105, maybe that's what it grew into ?

Yup, it's intended to look a bit like the missing linkbetween the F-84F and the F-105 - and with the pointed radome and the raked air intakes this works surprisingly well!  :wacko:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

jcf

:thumbsup: 
The second YF-84F prototype and the YRF-84F prototype had plank wing F-84 type canopies. The wing root intakes were abandoned for the production F-84F because they caused flow problems to the already problematic J65 installation, the configuration was only retained for the RF-84F because of the  need to carry cameras.

The canopy and pointy nose combined with the root intakes are a cool look and suggest a direct ancestor of your creation.
;) ;D

Dizzyfugu

Not much new to show. Detail work has been continued. Seats added to cockpit and wheels mounted. And the pitot disappeared (carpet monster, again?) and had to be replaced. Varnish approaching.

Dizzyfugu

Varnish applied, but there have some blemishes to be painted out/hidden. But the Thunderguard is almost done.  :lol:

Wardukw

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Still have some details to paint (inside of the canopy, for example), and the ordnance has to be mounted.

Dizzyfugu

Wardukw

Dizzyfugu

The thing has been finished, finally! With ordnance the F-96B looks quite different! The long drop tanks make it look more elongated, if not "fast", and the wings are quite crowded with the six missiles. But it works and looks good:lol:

kerick

Before the decals the wing fences gave it a little Soviet look to me. Really looking good now! Can't wait to see the finished pics.  :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kerick on April 26, 2023, 12:39:56 PMBefore the decals the wing fences gave it a little Soviet look to me.

Not only to you! The silhouette from above also reminded a lot of the Yak-28 interceptor!