Aeronavale Westland Vouivre, Operation Musketeer, October 1956

Started by AeroplaneDriver, March 10, 2023, 11:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

It seems my USAF CF-100 is on hold for a week or so waiting on some parts.  So time to jump into my second (hopefully) entry...

Following the inflight breakup of the XFU-7 Corsair prototype  in late 1952 and the ensuing program delays the French Aeronavale reevaluated the F4U-7 program and began looking for a replacement.  A number of aircraft were evaluated, but the Westland Wyvern which was entering service with the Royal Navy in 1953 was seen as the best option for a platform that was expected to be replaced by more advanced jet aircraft but the end of the decade. 

The Aeronavale ordered 58 Wyverns in July 1953, with first deliveries taking place in early 1955.  In French service the Wyvern was known as the Vouivre, ironically the French word for a serpentine winged dragon with a stinging tail from which the word Wyvern was derived. 

Aeronavale Vouivres  deployed alongside Royal Navy Wyverns in October 1956 as part of Operation Musketeer, the joint UK/French/Israeli operation to seize control of the Suez Canal. 

Hopefully pics to come tomorrow.  Kit is the lovely (in my opinion) Trumpeter 1/48 Wyvern, but will be in a unique Aeronavale Flottille 14F scheme.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Counter rotating propellers  ;D  ;D
Yes please very much  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

AeroplaneDriver

Wardukw

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

AeroplaneDriver

After a week or so of no model time I made decent progress today.  Off work all next week so hoping to get her done, but a few projects around the house may interfere.  Fingers crossed.

Wardukw

So it's begun again?  :wacko:
It's annoying when the RW gets in the way .

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AeroplaneDriver

Havent touched this one in a while because I was focusing on finishing my CF-100, but here is a quick update on my second entry.

Nothing major, but the canopy is all masked up and it's ready for priming.  Horizontal stabilizers are temporarily tacked on for priming as painting the vertical stab and rudder they way I'm planning will be easier with them removed. 

Wardukw

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AeroplaneDriver

Busy week ahead at work so likely last progress on this until next weekend.  Getting the first color on. I wanted a totally fictional scheme but close to some RW schemes. I did some digging in the paints and found a combo I like and I think will look good in French markings, so the Aeronavale Vouivre will wear Grey-Blue RAL5008 over USAF Light Gray.

Slow process masking and painting the Suez stripes, but I think it'll be worth it over using decals. Thinking about making the three sections of the spinner in French flag colors to match the rudder, which will be painted to match the Corsair this Whif replaced.

This is my third Trumpy Wyvern and I think this one will be the first with folded wings.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.