Aeronavale Westland Vouivre, Operation Musketeer, October 1956

Started by AeroplaneDriver, March 10, 2023, 11:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

NARSES2

Quote from: sandiego89 on May 20, 2023, 07:16:36 AMcan my UK friends help me on the pronunciation of Wyvern?   Is it why-Vern, like asking the question why + plus the man's name Vern?  or more like wiv-vern?   

Yup Y-vern (Why - Vern) although I've heard it pronounced "Wiv-ren.

Quote from: sandiego89 on May 20, 2023, 10:14:50 AMdon't get me started on Ypres 

Both Grandad's taught me to pronounce it "Wipers", and they'd fought there. It was only when I went for the first time I learnt it was "Ipres"  ;D

Place name's pronunciation quite often depends on where you are at the time. It can confuse us lot who live here, let alone anyone else  :angel: 
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Around here in Gloucestershire (there's a mouthfull for you....) they tend to pronounce 'Gloucester' as 'Glaaarsterrrrr'.

I pronounce it like the aeroplane firm 'Gloster'.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

comrade harps

Whatever.

Nick

She looks stunning Nick. How did you do that lovely shade of dark blue?

AeroplaneDriver

Thanks!!
I cant remember the exact paint I used.  It's a Vallejo color.  Out of town for work for the night but I'll look tomorrow afternoon. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....