What category do you place your models in?

Started by seadude, March 12, 2023, 12:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

It's fear.  They are scared we might be having more fun than they are.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 14, 2023, 01:54:52 AMIt's like if you build wiffs your now not good enough to be with the other off the shelf builders which I call sheep..they always go with the flock and won't for the life of them leave that flock and it's the same feeling I have at model shows.

And we are the wolves stalking around the edges of the flock! :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 14, 2023, 06:26:35 AMAnd we are the wolves stalking around the edges of the flock! :wacko:

No, we're the hyenas laughing ourselves silly over all those rivets the JMN's are counting.  ;D  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Yeah! My opinion is I don't have the time to worry to much about it. My club is pretty cool about it and I get compliments about my ability to imagine the whiffs I build. Attitudes here are changing concerning whiffery and the more whiffs we can get at shows the more openings we will get.
Seadude, I saw your battleships in person and they are awesome! If others can't appreciate your work it's their loss!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 14, 2023, 06:26:35 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 14, 2023, 01:54:52 AMIt's like if you build wiffs your now not good enough to be with the other off the shelf builders which I call sheep..they always go with the flock and won't for the life of them leave that flock and it's the same feeling I have at model shows.

And we are the wolves stalking around the edges of the flock! :wacko:
Hahaha Guy I love that  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Wooksta!

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 14, 2023, 02:01:23 AMThe more I read here the more I realise how relatively open minded we are in the UK. Sure we still get some odd looks from people who think we are a not relevant, but more and more people stop by to simply appreciate the modelling and a fair few move away muttering "I wonder" to themselves  :thumbsup:

It's taken a lot of hard work to get us where we are now.  I'm sure some of the older hands who've been around since the beginning can attest to that.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 14, 2023, 07:13:00 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on March 14, 2023, 06:26:35 AMAnd we are the wolves stalking around the edges of the flock! :wacko:

No, we're the hyenas laughing ourselves silly over all those rivets the JMN's are counting.  ;D  ;)
I like that point of view Kit  :thumbsup:  ;D  ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

jcf

I've never experienced anybody making a big deal about it with the IPMS-Seattle folks. It's a build what you like atmosphere and many enjoy seeing off the wall creations. Everything is welcome.

As to the term "rivet counter" it's overused as a pejorative. I've known a number of outstanding modellers over the years who, because they strive for accuracy in details and history, can be classed as rivet counters and they proudly wear the title. The defining thing about them is that they have all been active modellers who don't criticize the work of others who aren't concerned with that same level of investigation and accuracy. It's not at all the same as the guy in the hobbyshop or on the web who bangs on about the poor detail/shape/quality etc. of a kit or model without ever showing anybody his own wonderful work. It's the difference between talkers and doers. 

As to the folks who are overly sensitive to What-Ifs, they also tend to turn their noses up at sci-fi subjects, even those that are models of machines from movies and TV, which of you think about it are models of models.
Another aspect of these people is that they're often the ones who go on about how model building is "replicating history in miniature" not playing with toys. Which suggests that decades on they're still insecure in their hobby.
;D

Overall I think whiffers disparaging straight modellers is as ill willed as the opposite and goes against the ethos of building what you want to build how you want to build it.

kerick

It's all about the fun of the build and if you are in a club or on a website like this or farcebook it's the camaraderie of like minded folks. If you like super detail or just winging it it's all good to me.
Jcf, I think you hit the mail on the head.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on March 14, 2023, 04:57:21 PMJcf, I think you hit the mail on the head.

"But I don't want my mail hit on the head, it often has models in it!" :-\

Yes, I know it's a typo, but that's the first thing that went through my head when I read it. ;D  ;D

As to the rest: I'm not so concerned about rivet counters, as Jon said, there are a lot of them out there who are into modelling for the fun of it & appreciate the attitudes & skills of others, including whiffers. It's the JMN's I don't like (& I'm using the word "Numpties" at the end of that).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 14, 2023, 05:27:41 PM
Quote from: kerick on March 14, 2023, 04:57:21 PMJcf, I think you hit the mail on the head.

"But I don't want my mail hit on the head, it often has models in it!" :-\

Yes, I know it's a typo, but that's the first thing that went through my head when I read it. ;D  ;D

As to the rest: I'm not so concerned about rivet counters, as Jon said, there are a lot of them out there who are into modelling for the fun of it & appreciate the attitudes & skills of others, including whiffers. It's the JMN's I don't like (& I'm using the word "Numpties" at the end of that).

I'm blaming auto-correct. That's my story and I'm stickn' to it!

I've never actually had anyone say anything negative about my whiffs. I've had people ask why do I build them. I just tell them that building out of the box just doesn't hold my interest like chopping and glueing.
I have thought about entering one in an art show as a sort of sculpture. That might raise some eyebrows.
It would be helpful to have a reliable source of cockpit parts and ejection seats. That's one drawback of using old kits for kitbashing. I just don't think I will spend the money on things like 3-D decals, etc.
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

3D resin printing can be pretty cheap, as long as you can find a source of free downloads... and a cheap printing place; I use the local library.
It's also worth a trawl around t'web to see what you can find (I have, and wow, what a large amount of 'I Wants' there are!!)
Note, I am not talking about Shapeways, here; while I've used them and the stuff is nice, it's not at all cheap...

kerick

I've looked at some of the resin parts makers and they can get expensive fast. I've used a few white metal seats which are nice but out of style so hard to find. Some stuff is great but then when you need it it's OOP and unavailable. It's like if you see it, buy it, and hope you use it eventually. Thread drift! I'll continue this on my blog.
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 14, 2023, 12:23:16 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 14, 2023, 02:01:23 AMThe more I read here the more I realise how relatively open minded we are in the UK. Sure we still get some odd looks from people who think we are a not relevant, but more and more people stop by to simply appreciate the modelling and a fair few move away muttering "I wonder" to themselves  :thumbsup:

It's taken a lot of hard work to get us where we are now.  I'm sure some of the older hands who've been around since the beginning can attest to that.

I know that Lee and it goes back long before my day
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

I wasn't around "in the beginning" - I joined the SIG in late 94 and became active in late 95 - but I fought a lot of battles, mainly through sheer spite and a determination to annoy the Not We.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic