What category do you place your models in?

Started by seadude, March 12, 2023, 12:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Jon and Chris are both bang on with their comments and I agreed with the difference between lovers of building kits and the JMNs.
Like a few of you guys I've been lucky and unlucky to meet both ..one I wanted to ram his head thru a nearby table and the other guy I would have brought him a coffee.
It's like one builder I met ..a ol mate brought a model of this dude who sold it on the trademe auction site..I went with to say hello and damn ..rivet counter to the extreme..he was building at the time a 35th Chruchill bridge layer with the resicast conversion and he was going nuts on this..that was a wow moment..amazing work on this .
He asked what I built...I told him ..wiffs and his first response was..got bored did ya ..big surprise..seriously nice guy ..yep a rivet counting nutter for sure but one of the really good ones...he loves the detail side for his own pleasure.
He told me he just doesn't have the imagination to build wiffs and he was kinda jealous of us  ;D
Ya gotta love that ..a brilliant modeller who's jealous of us ..still say hello to him now and then.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 15, 2023, 11:15:27 AMHe told me he just doesn't have the imagination to build wiffs and he was kinda jealous of us  ;D

I think that's the way a lot of people feel and then quite suddenly they think of something  ;D  The Hobby's big enough for all of us and more and more people are enjoying the options  :thumbsup:

Mind you if you really want to meet a Fanatic then go to a Model or Toy Soldier show (there is a difference) and start discussing the number of buttons on an Austro-Hungarian Guard Grenadier's tunic  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

I've always placed them in the relevant classes and bugger what they say.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

One thing that shocks these dudes is the "Stash" ..alot of normal builders don't have the pile of crap we do just for the wiffy side of building..some guys I've read of throw out any remaining parts once their build is done..my very first thought was ..what a waste and it is ..no ideas for modification to another version of the same what ever it is ...no spare decals for that bugger moment.
Thats sort of thing I really can't get my head around and I never will.
And as for counting buttons on some dudes tunic ..Kit me ol mate I couldn't think of anything more boring  :lol:
"Tell ya what mate you keep talking buttons and I'll hammer this nail into my foot and we'll see who's mind wanders first huh ?"  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Nick

The only tunic button patterns I have any useful knowledge of are the Guards Regiments of the British Army. Helps identify them at a glance.

1s Grenadiers
2s Coldstream
3s Scots
4s Irish
5s Welsh

Rheged

I've met a couple of  genuine rivet counters who tried to make their steam engines absolutely perfect but to be fair to them they understood Whiffery although they didn't want to do it themselves.  This came about when I brought to the club a Dapol Deltic in full Furness Railway  (1910) livery.  Their only comment was "If the Furness had run Deltics, that's what they would have looked like!"  On the other hand, I also came across those of no brain and less courtesy who told me I'd "WASTED" a kit.

I've even been a rivet counter myself on one occasion: I made  a model of  LNER  J36 engine  65293 for a friend to give his dad   as a retirement present. Dad had driven this engine around the railway yards of Carlisle for many years.   I was told it was nearly perfect, but  that the driver's bike was usually lying on the tender................so I had to make a bike to add.  Said engine driver's grandson still has the model.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

When I was involved with Rapido Models in making their 00 gauge model of the APT-E, their engineer Bill Schneider actually MEASURED the size of the rivets on the Power Cars!

He complained to me that we seemed to have used 2-3 different sizes when we built it, and I confirmed that we had done just that. As the thing was continually being rebuilt we took the side panels off and re-riveted them every few months, and we used whatever size rivets we had at the time.  ;D

I didn't measure the rivets on the model to see if he'd got every one dead right, but they look pretty good.  :thumbsup:

You cannot view this attachment.

Here he is doing it.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

What category do you place your models in?

After thinking long and hard about the above question I have come up with an answer.

Fictional, but with as much realism as I can plausibly fit into them.

Still not sure that covers them.  :-\

As for entering anything into a competition at a show, I don't normally do so as I don't consider my models to be of a high enough standard.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 17, 2023, 09:31:11 AMWhen I was involved with Rapido Models in making their 00 gauge model of the APT-E, their engineer Bill Schneider actually MEASURED the size of the rivets on the Power Cars!

He complained to me that we seemed to have used 2-3 different sizes when we built it, and I confirmed that we had done just that. As the thing was continually being rebuilt we took the side panels off and re-riveted them every few months, and we used whatever size rivets we had at the time.  ;D

I didn't measure the rivets on the model to see if he'd got every one dead right, but they look pretty good.  :thumbsup:

You cannot view this attachment.

Here he is doing it.............

Come on Kit, you tell us.  You deliberately used different rivets each time didn't you...

:wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 18, 2023, 04:00:03 AMCome on Kit, you tell us.  You deliberately used different rivets each time didn't you...

:wacko:

Darn it, rumbled.....................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe