Aircraft engines. Swapping and upgrading.

Started by Leigh, March 05, 2005, 02:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

This engine was in the very old MiG-21 MF from Revel, 1/32 scale. It is not certainly a Tumansky R-13 or R-11. In your opinion, which engine does it look like?

Will die without understanding this world.

Jeffry Fontaine

Hi Carlos,

I was faced with a similar problem that was soon overcome by removing the portions of the engine that were smaller in diameter and assembling the remainder to create a shorter in overall length engine which makes it look more like a jet engine instead of the artistic representation as provided by Revell.  As far as the type of engine, got no clue what it best represents other than a jet engine shape that can be adapted to a 1/48 or 1/32 scale modeling project.   

You can then take the engine and use if for what ever you want, changing the intake facing to something that looks like a turbo-fan engine and the exhaust can be swapped out with something else or left as it.  The idea I had was to try and make a turbo-fan shape engine from the Revell parts and some F100 engine exhausts that were sourced from a 1/48th scale F-15.  It is a nice space filler after you cut it down to size.  The left over parts can be used for other purposes if you are careful about how you make your cuts. 

*update*

I forgot to mention that I also reversed the engine casing so the exhaust end became the compressor section with the intake attached to it and the former intake section became the combustion and exhaust section.  The switch was prompted by the additional details engraved into the exhaust section of the engine casing which looked to be more appropriate at the Suck, Twist and Squeeze sections instead of being located at the Burn and Belch sections as Revell had them molded.  Overall, the engine certainly looks better now than it did when I first took it from the box.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

ysi_maniac

Thanks Jeffy
My unconfessable idea is to attach this to a racing car and participate in an eventual Landspeed record GB.
This said, I like your idea, and I would be very greateful if you could post some pic or so. Try to make a tape assembly with your parts. Just to play and see.
After the asembly, I will add lots of tubing to make it up. Any suggestive pic, please?

Carlos.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: ysi_maniac on September 25, 2008, 12:00:02 PM
Thanks Jeffy
Try to make a tape assembly with your parts. Just to play and see.

Sorry, that sounds odd ;D . But you know what I mean. :thumbsup:

jcf

It sorta resembles a J34 with an afterburner attached.

... and as it so happens there are several jet cars operating that are powered by the old J34.  ;D

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

Based on the image provided by Jon, you could just cut the thing into two parts and have a pair of jet engine shapes for two projects.  The front half could become the smaller J34 looking engine and the rear portion that I kept as one piece could become your second engine.  Sad that I had not considered this prior to butchering up the two engines I had in the spares box.  :(
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

B777LR

It looks like a prime candidate for a star wars pod-racer :thumbsup: Find a twin, and strap them to a Huey fuselage... :bow:

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on September 25, 2008, 06:00:01 PM
Based on the image provided by Jon, you could just cut the thing into two parts and have a pair of jet engine shapes for two projects.  The front half could become the smaller J34 looking engine and the rear portion that I kept as one piece could become your second engine.  Sad that I had not considered this prior to butchering up the two engines I had in the spares box.  :(

YES, SIR! :o
I mean, your idea is great :bow:

BTW: Can you help me to choose the best cofigurations for the left (the big one) engine and the smaller one?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: ysi_maniac on September 29, 2008, 06:26:58 AMBTW: Can you help me to choose the best cofigurations for the left (the big one) engine and the smaller one?
Hi Carlos,

I think your second image has the right look to the larger engine shape.  The concentric rings around the engine casing suggest the compressor section of a turbo-fan engine which is how I assembled the sections of the two engines that I cut up.  The smaller engine shape constructed from the remaining parts is a challenge in that they are not quite matching up but to use them in filling up an empty space, they could be used for a WHIF engine on a helicopter since it looks more like a gas turbine powerplant for a helicopter or boat which would not be needing the exhaust part that you have attached on the end of the engine.   so you may have to get a bit more creative with the parts.

I put some more thought into this and want to suggest that you swap the inlet face from the larger engine shape with that of the smaller one on the left.  This would give you a turbo-fan-looking engine with the larger engine casing and put some additional length on the smaller engine shape. 

At least check it out by swapping the parts and see how it looks for you. 

ysi_maniac

Hi Jeffry

Think that relative dimension are as you see in pic ...

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

sagallacci

Anyone thought of using Allison V3420 (twin V1710s) in anything? Especially as they were available in production during the war. A B-29 was fitted with them and there were any number of real world installations considered, though not pursued, with only the fiasco that flew P-75 getting a few more in the air.
I'm ever so slowly noodling up a B-26 with a pair of V-3420s and Curtiss contraprops as a fast bomber/recon without defensive guns (maybe a tail position) in roles not unlike the Mosquito.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: sagallacci on December 12, 2008, 06:51:42 PMAnyone thought of using Allison V3420 (twin V1710s) in anything? Especially as they were available in production during the war. A B-29 was fitted with them and there were any number of real world installations considered, though not pursued, with only the fiasco that flew P-75 getting a few more in the air.
I'm ever so slowly noodling up a B-26 with a pair of V-3420s and Curtiss contraprops as a fast bomber/recon without defensive guns (maybe a tail position) in roles not unlike the Mosquito.
Was there any images of that B-29 with the V-3420 engines? 

The B-26 would have been a fast mover with a pair of those engines but I imagine the fuel consumption would have been quite spectacular as well.  Maybe additional fuel in the rear of the fuselage, bomb bay, and wing tip tanks to give it some range?

jcf

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on December 12, 2008, 07:21:09 PM
Was there any images of that B-29 with the V-3420 engines? 

Hi Jeff,
the aircraft was designated XB-39 and named 'Spirit of Lincoln'.

Jon