Aircraft engines. Swapping and upgrading.

Started by Leigh, March 05, 2005, 02:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogsbody

What about these:
                           A Heinkel He 112 with a Jumo 213.

An IAR.80/81 with a BMW 801

A Reggiane Re.2002 with a BMW 801
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Ollie

simmie

O.k lets get today suggestion list underway:-

Curtiss Model-75A ordered by the French, but Britain got the bulk of the order after they collapsed, we also added to the order ourselves.

We found them underpowered with their Wright Cyclone R-1820 or P and W R-1830 Twin Wasps, so how about Bristol Pegasus or Hercules instead.

Hercules could also be fitted to the Boeing B-17, the Consolidated B-24 and the Republic XP-41/P-43 Lancer.

Later Mustangs could have their Packard Merlins replaced by Griffon, Sabre or even Centaurus.

Consolidated Privateer with the Griffon Mk-57 (the Shackleton engine)might also be considered as an interesting option.

Finally, today I have had a quick look at the R-2800.  If my memory is correct someone here is doing a late Merlin/Griffon Corsair model.  So how about a Vulture/Centaurus or Sabre Corsair.

these options could also be applied to the Northrop P-61 Black Widow.

thats it for today, options please.
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!

simmie

And so the madness contiues:-

How about a Merlin powered Handley Page Hampden? or a Dagger Wellington/ or a Merlin/Hercules/Dagger  Bleheim?

North American B25 Mitchell - Hercules/Merlin

Also on this engine option list are:-

Consolidated Catalina

Brewster Buffalo

Vought SB2u Vindicator

Arsrenal VG34, VG35, VG36,VG39 and VB10

Arsenal Delannnes 10

Bloch 153, 154, 157

North American P64

Douglas A20 Havoc/Boston

The Martin B26 Marauder was a medium bomber like the Mitchell, so what if it's career had followed the Mitchells more closely  I.E solid nose with 0.5's and the 75mm cannon.

Also it could be re-engined with Griffon, Sabre or Centaurus,

as could the following:-

Boeing B29

Consolidated B32 Dominator

Vultee Vengeance

Curtiss Helldiver

Republic P47 Thunderbolt (was actually suggest that the Fairey P24,licience built by Ford) be installed).

Lockheed Venture

Douglas A26 Invader

Grumman F7F tigercat

Grumman F8F Bearcat

Commonwealth CA15 - with just the Sabre or the Centaurus

same goes for the Supermarine Spiteful/Seafang

Later aircraft get a later engine, the Rolls Royce Eagle Mk.22

Martin P4M Mercator

Republic XP72

Boeing B50

Consolidated B36

Goodyear F2G

On the Italian side, as well as the the Reggiano Re2002, may be the Caproni Vizola F6M, Macchi C205N Orione and the Fiat G56 could use the BMW 801, or how
about the Junkers Jumo 213 for all three??

How does a radial engined Junkers Ju87 grab you, with BMW's 323 Bramo or the 801

that you lot
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!

ysi_maniac

I have Bill Gunston's Encyclopedia of Aeroengines. While it is a good book, it is not exactly what I want.

I want a book with an entry per engine with main data: dimensions, thrust, ... , planes it powered, a photo and if possible a brief history. Just as many encyclopedias about aircraft and other kind of weapons. Does such book exist? how could I get it?

Thanks a lot.
Will die without understanding this world.

John Howling Mouse

Not a "book" but possibly a starting reference point for further research?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_engines
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ysi_maniac

It is wonderful. I have just bookmarked.

Thanks a lot Barry

B777LR

Ive got "Jane`s fighting aircraft of world war II, foreword by bill gunston". Published 1946. Features over 1000 planes and aero engines. Is this the one?

ysi_maniac

No, that is a different book. I have it too. Marvelous indeed.

kitnut617

May I suggest this society Carlos, the Aircraft Engine Historical Society:

http://www.enginehistory.org/

I was a member up until my house move and once we get into our new home I will re-join.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Robert's suggestion of the AEHS is a good one, I am also a member, and you will probably find this page of great use:
http://www.enginehistory.org/reference.htm

The P&W and Wright Aero PDFs are an excellent reference.

The best book for British piston engines is 'British Piston Aero Engines and Their Aircraft' by Alec Lumsden.

The top choice for Russian piston engines is 'Russian Piston Aero Engines:The Complete Story' by Victor Kotelnikov, a good book but unfortunately lacking on dimensional info.

Cheers, Jon

kitnut617

Yes Jon, that definitely is a good reference.  One book I bought last year was about the Wright Tornado, the 42 cylinder, six row, liquid cooled radial.  An amazing piece of kit and surprisingly, there's one still in existence.

Robert

ysi_maniac

QuoteWright Tornado, the 42 cylinder, six row, liquid cooled radial.  An amazing piece of kit and surprisingly, there's one still in existence.

Robert
This must be COOL from a WHIFFER's point of view B)  :wub:
We need more info :)  

kitnut617

QuoteWright Tornado, the 42 cylinder, six row, liquid cooled radial.  An amazing piece of kit and surprisingly, there's one still in existence.

Robert
This must be COOL from a WHIFFER's point of view B)  :wub:
We need more info :)
here you go Carlos:  http://www.weakforcepress.com/tornado_2.htm

It was designed using the modular system being made in two row sections with the crankshaft, cam shafts etc, having couplers to join them together, and in this way, two additional rows could be added or removed depending on the application. There was plans for a 56 cylinder version (8 rows) and the diameter of the engine was kept small so that the whole engine could be buried inside a wing airfoil (mainly for bombers).  That was the theory anyway.

Proposed to go in this aircraft:  http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p69.html

And this one: http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p73.html

Cheers.

elmayerle

It's on the large size, but Lycoming was in development of the R7755 which was a 5000 hp., four-row, liquid-cooled, radial.  Wikipedia has the full details on the engine, but a fighter or bomber powered by the R7755-5 (fuel injection, contra-props) would be an awesome beast.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin