Aircraft engines. Swapping and upgrading.

Started by Leigh, March 05, 2005, 02:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

QuoteSo what could we put it on?  Mossies maybe or are they too heavy?  Having a mind block right now, can't think of anything else other than the Hawker family!  Would definately look a little different on a fighter with those four exhausts.
I would say Fulmar, Firefly, Tempest, any of the bigger fighters,  maybe the Mossie and Beaufighter, a Brigand maybe! Barracuda, Spearfish, how about a re-engined Avenger
The Firefly is another interesting aircraft to kitbash - Centarus, Sabre, Vulture...-

got another idea with the Peregrine... whatif "modern" british fighters (in the sense of Spitfire or Hurricane types) had appeared earlier, and needed Kestrel or Peregrine? Transitional fighters with Peregrine and spats , for example a monoplane Gladiator, or a kind of British D-500/ 510  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

elmayerle

Hmm, like Sir Sidney Camm's original "Monoplane Fury" design that evolved into the Hurricane?  I could easily see that.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Jeffry Fontaine

Why limit this to swaps between internal combustion engines.  In some cases the swap could be done to a gas turbine.  Case in point is the Piper PA-48 which was a nice evolution of the P-51 Mustang to a gas turbine powerplant.  Prior to the PA-48 there was a Cavalier conversion of the Mustang to use the Rolls Royce Dart engein.  There is a conversion in 1/72n and 1/48th scale for this option now available but be aware that it is not cheap.  The 48th scale conversion was about $30.00 from my connection at the LHS.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

noxioux

Jeff makes an excellent point.  One project I have been tossing around the brain is a turboprop F-7F Tigercat. . .

I would think you could also consider jet to prop conversions.  For instance, a twin-prop ME-262.  It would be historically rediculous, but how about a propfan Amerika bomber just for laughs?

Or a Propfan B-36 with a prettier nose?

elmayerle

Perhaps a propfan B-36 with the production B-60 nose and cockpit?  Or a propfan conversion of the proposed B-36C?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

QuoteFor instance, a twin-prop ME-262.

Interesting - maybe with twin Jumo 213s from a Fw 190D or Ta 152?  Maybe if the Luftwaffe simply go tired of trying to get the turbojets to work and instead converted the 262 airframes into piston powered Zerstörers.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

I have this conversion to do, when I get time to get at it:

http://www.geocities.com/unicraftmodels/ge...2tp/me262tp.htm

This seems to be the origin of the XB-47D turbo-prop.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

upnorth

I may still be running off a fair amount of the holiday cheer, but how about a radial engine in a P-39?

I'm thinking one of the more tightly cowelled radials to keep the inevitable mid fuselage bulge to a minimum.

Imagine if the Soviets played around with the idea of sticking a Svetsov radial in some of their Airacobra's.

If you look at pictures of the Airacobra prototype prior to removal of the supercharger, it was a notably bulged afair in that area of the fuselage, so perhaps a suitably compact radial could go into the area with not much more modifications than were required to house the abandoned supercharger.

Maybe you could work that into a Centaurus powered P-63 on a slightly later timescale.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

GTX

QuoteThere's also the Bf 109X with a BMW 801, although I think it never left the drawing board.

Or did it???

See here.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

SinUnNombre

QuoteI may still be running off a fair amount of the holiday cheer, but how about a radial engine in a P-39?

I'm thinking one of the more tightly cowelled radials to keep the inevitable mid fuselage bulge to a minimum.

Imagine if the Soviets played around with the idea of sticking a Svetsov radial in some of their Airacobra's.

If you look at pictures of the Airacobra prototype prior to removal of the supercharger, it was a notably bulged afair in that area of the fuselage, so perhaps a suitably compact radial could go into the area with not much more modifications than were required to house the abandoned supercharger.

Maybe you could work that into a Centaurus powered P-63 on a slightly later timescale.
Cool idea. One problem though. Cooling. Most, if not all radial engines are air-cooled. Hence the open-fronted cowlings. The inline Allison in the P-39 in water-cooled, like your car. How would you channel the air around the engine for proper cooling? But if you could make a water-cooled radial, then it would work. But then you run into the issues of weight and sheer room to package everything. Just a thought...

Jon

Spey_Phantom

how is this, the DH-88 Comet looks a lot like a gypsi powered 262, could be a good platform to start with  :lol:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

upnorth

QuoteI may still be running off a fair amount of the holiday cheer, but how about a radial engine in a P-39?

Cool idea. One problem though. Cooling. Most, if not all radial engines are air-cooled. Hence the open-fronted cowlings. The inline Allison in the P-39 in water-cooled, like your car. How would you channel the air around the engine for proper cooling? But if you could make a water-cooled radial, then it would work. But then you run into the issues of weight and sheer room to package everything. Just a thought...

Jon
I think if you put the supercharger air scoops that the prototype had back into the design, then you would have the means to both aerodynamically fair it in and provide air to cool it.

Could be wrong about that though :unsure:  
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

B777LR

Jon
I think if you put the supercharger air scoops that the prototype had back into the design, then you would have the means to both aerodynamically fair it in and provide air to cool it.

Could be wrong about that though :unsure:
One could just place the whole engine up front...

Jeffry Fontaine

Was the Napier Deltic ever used as an aircraft powerplant?  Reason for asking is that in what I have read about this remarkable diesel engine there was mention of it being originally designed for aircraft use.  It later found use as a locomotive engine and was installed in several fast patrol boat types built in the UK and the Norwegian Nasty (Tjeld) Class boats.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg