FINISHED IT 1/35th Sd.Kfz. 173/4 (1. Serie) ‘Sturmpanther’, early 1945 😁

Started by Wardukw, March 17, 2023, 03:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

"Workable tracks" are usually "they'll hold together just long enough for you to glue them" especially if they're click together.

Wardukw

Yeah that's my experience to Frank..some are a nightmare..others are pretty damn good ..Resicast makes some beautiful tracks but not cheap and hard to find now.
These tracks are 3d printed and since the first time I saw them I was thinking I'd like to try em out..didn't think it would be this soon tho 😄
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Don't discount the Tamiya Panther track set for either Ausf D or G. While not "workable", even gluing gives enough work time to get them around the roadwheels and sprockets.

Wardukw

Buzzy I've had that set probably more than ten times over the yrs and yep it's a bloody nice set but it's the same as Mengs set..a right bugger to paint and weather and get on the tank.
Trust me matey that set is still on my list of Panther tracks  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

The frustrating thing with the likes of BNA and HLJ is that when you do a search they show you all the stuff they have had in the past and let you put in for notification of restock without any idea if they realistically expect to get more of them.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Oh I know what you  mean  ...I wanted several sets of AFV Clubs .50 cal machine sets..did the notification things...still haven't heard anything..from like 3yrs ago.

Wardukw

Well lads the Heavy Hobby 3D Printed tracks are here and holy poop pickles these things are amazing..stunning.
They fit together perfectly..the detail is superb and they are fully workable .
Should take about 4.5 hrs to make these up ..once I've come up with a technique as these links are held together with this tiny pin but there's holes thru the entire link so I'll play around and see what works best..looks to me like the holes are .5mm dia  ..but we shall see 👀 😏 😊

Jakko

Use copper wire slightly smaller than that? If the holes go all the way through that's probably the strongest option.
... I know all this and more ...

Wardukw

Copper work for sure but I tend to use steel..brass or stainless steel.
With the amount of Friulmodel tracks I've had to put together over the yrs I've learned which works best .
Brass or steel pins are great for big freaking tracks..King Tiger.. tiger..E100
Copper is great for smaller stuff..panzer 3 / 4  and oh one and two  ;D .

If you want to completely loose your sanity mate I made up the friulmodel sets for a russian T35 and for a Lorraine tractor..mate those are so small they make 251 halftracks tracks look massive  :lol:

Jakko

I've only assembled one set of Friul tracks in my life, for a Japanese Type 3 Chi-Nu, and didn't overly enjoy the experience :) Even though they're often more work, I prefer workable plastic tracks.

Wardukw

Trust me mate the first set of Friul model tracks I built was not a pleasant experience at all..stabbed my fingers over and over again..dude I got quite annoyed 😀
They were for a SDKFZ 7 8ton half track but after reading build articles where the builder used metal tracks I learned some tricks and mate it's a doddle now .
The trick is to drill out every link ..I use my Dremel ..super easy even with a .5 drill bit ..the wire feeds in very easy and I just cut it everytime I assemble a couple of links and it's surprising how fast you can do it.
I can knock out a full set of Tiger 1 or 2 tracks in an hour ..and nothing beats the natural sag these tracks offer.
When you consider the weight of the real thing be it tank or earthmover, they rock.
I did a commission build on a Meng D9 armoured bulldozer complete with PE slat armour and white metal tracks..by the way..bulldozer tracks are a real pain to put together and honestly the plastic tracks are much easier to work with and I get the same weathered results from either ..course what the customer wants and all that.

Jakko

It was the drilling out that annoyed me most, TBH. I had expected to be able to just stick the wire into the links, but no ...

Wardukw

Your expectations are not just yours alone mate..that was mine also ..plug and play so to speck..no such luck..still the same now ..there's other manufacturers out there now making metal tracks and I've used a couple of em and there's no drilling at all on one set which I made for Krupp waffentrager 12.8cm.
Alot of links there bud and there Panzer 38T so quite small but went together super easy.

Jakko

The original Friul tracks, when they were still based in Italy, didn't use pins at all: they usually had a piece that folded over to trap the next link. I've never even seen those (I know this from reviews in Military Modelling magazine) but I've always wondered why they went for pins instead. Maybe the folding-over bit couldn't be made to work for many designs of track?

Steel Penguin

possibly the metal would work harden, and become brittle, or to get the correct thickness it was too tough to bend, or too weak to hold?
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!