Project Blue Flash - the RAF's 'Streak Lightning'

Started by CammNut, March 27, 2023, 05:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CammNut

This build was inspired by one of our own:
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?action=profile;u=7754;area=showposts;start=105
Thank you for your creativity, Zero-Sen.

By the end of the 1950s there was growing concern that the Soviet Union was developing a supersonic bomber capable of launching long-range nuclear missiles. It was feared these would be able to reach launch points farther from the UK more quickly than Royal Air Force fighters could intercept them.

In response, the UK started a secret crash program to develop a longer-range Mach 3 interceptor. The only option in the time allowed was to develop a version of the English Electric Lightning. The project was codenamed Blue Flash and disguised as an effort to develop a long-range air defence missile system. This was in part an effort to avoid embarrassing the government, which had very publicly declared there would be "no more manned fighters".

Nicknamed the "Streak Lightning" by insiders, Blue Flash mated the Lightning's highly swept wing to a new fuselage build around a single massive de Havilland Gyron turbojet. Equipped with a ramburner reheat system, this produced more than 40,000lb of thrust, 30% more than the twin Avons in the baseline Lightning. Two crew were seated side by side in the wider fuselage behind a powerful long-range radar.

Blue Flash was intended to be armed with a new radar-guided missile with a longer range and larger warhead than the Lightning's Firestreak. But escalating delays and costs led to its cancellation. The Streak Lightning itself almost followed as it became clear the Soviets' supersonic bomber was a hollow threat. But in the end, enough aircraft were built to equip a three-aircraft flight that was assigned to each operational Lightning squadron.

Blue Flash saw a brief second life when a handful of aircraft were fitted with cameras and other sensors and used in the strategic reconnaissance role. But the advent of satellites and the cost of sustaining an orphan fleet led to the type's retirement after a relatively short operational life.

This is a resuscitation attempt on a painting (priming) debacle. Running, crazing, orangepeeling, pebbledashing, the glass black undercoat did it all. So I put it aside for a few months, then tried to buff it up as best I could. The result is not great, but it's done.

The base kit is an Airfix 1/72 Lightning, which supplied the wings, tails, gear, etc. The fuselage is a 1/32 resin F-15 external tank, which is PSR-merged into the Lightning's belly tank, a 1/48 F-16 jetpipe and nozzle and a 1/72 F-16 diverterless supersonic inlet.

I was not going to attempt to create a cockpit, so the windows are painted on. The decals are from the spares box, mostly Airfix 1/72 Lightning. (The wing and tail codes don't match, but I was past caring). After taking some pictures I noticed one of the gear doors was missing. It is back in place now.

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Lord_Voyager

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

looks very good  :thumbsup:   and a neat back story as well. :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Old Wombat

Well done to both of you! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Zero-Sen for the inspirational idea & CammNut for the physical realisation! :bow:  :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Vulcan7

WOW that looks superb  :tornado:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: (and great back story)
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Glenn Gilbertson

kerick

I watched the movie "Grease" with my wife a couple days ago so all I could think of was the song "Greased Lightning"!
Awesome build!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

killnoizer

Nice concept, those modern tanks in 1:32 are very big , indeed  :thumbsup:
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..