Malkara Cromwell - Finished

Started by buzzbomb, March 27, 2023, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Reckon I might be able to  contribute to this GB, so looking through all the great builds there are very few vehicles. Time to add another one in

The topic got me thinking about suitable Whiffer vehicles for this period and thumbing through some books and the interwebnet, the Malkara Anti Tank Missile popped up, one of the very early ATGM.
Malkara project was started in the early 1950's and wound up by the end of the 1950's
A joint development by the Australians and the British, it was not super successful, but certainly paved the way for improved projects.
There were some RW vehicles built around the Malkara, the Humber Hornet plus a plan to use the Centurion which would have been a complete new build with a superstructure and years in development.

But why not use a tank chassis that is not a front line tank anymore, nearing end of life, but still a useful and quite quick  platform, the Cromwell, which served front line up until the Korean war, albeit, not so successfully.

Tamiya Cromwell, viceless, simple to build kit.

Malkara missiles, or close enough for this build anyway out of Evergreen and some bits. If you think you get a Seacat vibe... meet its grandad ;D

Much hackage of the turret, first I was mounting behind the turret in a bustle, but that really blew chunks. So glad I did not take pictures of that.
So I now working on the AMX/SS11 type front mounted . However the Malkara is a honking big missile, over 6 feet long, so the gun had to go and only two mounted, but maybe some sort or ready reload might turn up on the rear of the turret hence the removed (at this stage) Loaders hatch, so  missile can be manhandled via track into the launcher.

Now I have a hankering for Bronze Green colour scheme as well. Let's see how it goes

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Interesting.  Not sure about the idea of a front mount.  Side mounted would have been easier and made sure the front of the turret was well protected.  Great choice of a missile.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

Old Wombat

Interesting that the Malkara didn't use a launch rail but, rather, a pylon, to which the missile was attached at 2 points until launched.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

There's a guy on YouTube I watch called Armoured Archives and he did a couple of vids on this missile and it's competition..talk about a huge pain in the arse to load ..the crew had to mount the fins from inside the vehicle before launching and their size was another draw back ..no doubting they were damn powerful ATMs but that's the RW ..not WW ..so these are gonna work just fine 🙂
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Looking forward to seeing this progress  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

buzzbomb

After a pondering session, some blu-Tack work and a bit of hand wringing, I ditched the Cromwell turret idea.

Quote from: rickshaw on March 27, 2023, 11:18:21 PMInteresting.  Not sure about the idea of a front mount.  Side mounted would have been easier and made sure the front of the turret was well protected.  Great choice of a missile.  :thumbsup:

Brian, pretty much came to the same conclusion, it is not working. So a new turret build may perhaps be no more engineering than to modify an existing turret to get a better result.
I thought about just hacking the sides off and go that way, but even then, work there made building a newer one easier for me.

A 3d Printed base and some plastic card work. Next is the curved front on then get the Launcher Pylons there.

Thanks for the support so far.

Wardukw

Part 2 looks much better Buzzy mate..nothing to to with it being practical or anything like that..just looks better ..fills the hull out more and balances the whole machine out..yep looking great man 👍
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

VERY fast work there!  :o

'A new turret design? No problem, we'll just weld one up.'  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Yes, this solution is really promising.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

AeroplaneDriver

Definitely liking the side mount better.  Great looking project!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....