Monogram P-51B Mustang oldie

Started by kerick, April 03, 2023, 11:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 07, 2023, 02:12:17 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 07, 2023, 02:02:14 AMThere's still a huge number of unexploded ordnance out there Chris..all over Europe..tens of thousands of them with out even guessing.
When you consider how many bombs were dropped on the UK and how often they come across them it's easy to get a clear picture of the just how many dud ones there might be.

Still amazes me the number of unexploded WWI artillery shells that are dug up every year in France and Belgium  :o
It's not surprising at all when millions of rounds were fired in the war what will scare you is this .
During the war they had miners from Australia digging tunnels under the German trenches and loading them thousands of kgs of explosives...then they would detonate the mine and it would kill several hundred plus
In a single blast...many hundreds in fact ...well here's the scary part..there's still one out there under a farm in France and I think it has a house on top of it..the explosive is so dangerous that it can't be touched...so their just leaving it there..it's slowly getting drowned but not yet.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 07, 2023, 02:33:43 AMDuring the war they had miners from Australia digging tunnels under the German trenches and loading them thousands of kgs of explosives...then they would detonate the mine and it would kill several hundred plus
In a single blast...many hundreds in fact ...well here's the scary part..there's still one out there under a farm in France and I think it has a house on top of it..the explosive is so dangerous that it can't be touched...so their just leaving it there..it's slowly getting drowned but not yet.

I've done a couple of WWI battlefield tours, very good trips if you have an interest, and we were told about that mine on one of them. We were also told it was the one they knew about.

Interestingly my maternal grandfather was a regular in 1914 and was wounded at First Ypres. When he returned he was transferred to a mining company (he'd been a miner before enlisting) and spent the rest of the War tunnelling. Hated it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 07, 2023, 07:31:57 AMInterestingly my maternal grandfather was a regular in 1914 and was wounded at First Ypres. When he returned he was transferred to a mining company (he'd been a miner before enlisting) and spent the rest of the War tunnelling. Hated it.

He probably enlisted to get away from mining & then the Army goes & gets all sensible & puts someone with mining experience in a mining company when normally it would have been someone like a fishmonger or office clerk. :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 07, 2023, 07:31:57 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 07, 2023, 02:33:43 AMDuring the war they had miners from Australia digging tunnels under the German trenches and loading them thousands of kgs of explosives...then they would detonate the mine and it would kill several hundred plus

I've done a couple of WWI battlefield tours, very good trips if you have an interest, and we were told about that mine on one of them. We were also told it was the one they knew about.

Interestingly my maternal grandfather was a regular in 1914 and was wounded at First Ypres. When he returned he was transferred to a mining company (he'd been a miner before enlisting) and spent the rest of the War tunnelling. Hated it.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he hated every second of it Chris...having to work in total silence and thr heat and mud and lack of light and when that's all done loading thousands of kgs of explosives down there to with lanterns which burned oil ..yeah not surprised one bit .
And then watching all that work turn to clumps of dirt flying all over the place.

It's still very easy today to find those areas where the mines were detonated...huge holes which are nearly perfectly round full of water..most of them are ponds now but I believe some done have water in them .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 07, 2023, 12:43:34 PM

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he hated every second of it Chris...having to work in total silence and thr heat and mud and lack of light and when that's all done loading thousands of kgs of explosives down there to with lanterns which burned oil ..yeah not surprised one bit .
And then watching all that work turn to clumps of dirt flying all over the place.

It's still very easy today to find those areas where the mines were detonated...huge holes which are nearly perfectly round full of water..most of them are ponds now but I believe some done have water in them .

I hate to think of what else might be in such a hole!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on April 07, 2023, 01:12:02 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 07, 2023, 12:43:34 PM

I hate to think of what else might be in such a hole!
Yep I know where your mind is going buddy and the answer is..yep 😳

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 07, 2023, 12:43:34 PMIt's still very easy today to find those areas where the mines were detonated...huge holes which are nearly perfectly round full of water..most of them are ponds now but I believe some done have water in them .

The couple I've seen had ponds in the bottom, but no wildfowl as far as I remember  :unsure:  Mind you the old battlefields are strangely/eerily quiet.

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 07, 2023, 08:10:12 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 07, 2023, 07:31:57 AMInterestingly my maternal grandfather was a regular in 1914 and was wounded at First Ypres. When he returned he was transferred to a mining company (he'd been a miner before enlisting) and spent the rest of the War tunnelling. Hated it.

He probably enlisted to get away from mining & then the Army goes & gets all sensible & puts someone with mining experience in a mining company when normally it would have been someone like a fishmonger or office clerk. :rolleyes:

Exactly what happened. Mind you they made him up to corporal as recompense. Was buried for over 24 hours at one point, when he was dug out his hair had turned white  :-\  Never talked about his army experiences with his own children, but was very open with me in his final years.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

The dead still haunt those grounds Chris and wild life seem to know it and they don't like it one bit .
If I hadn't done the army thing then battle field archeological it would have been.
It's in the blood for me ..war has been in my families history for thousands of years ..my sister is very nosey..her words  ;D

kerick

Some clean up today. So much better. I also reattached the horizontal stabilizer and the main gear doors.

Some touch up paint and a proper shot of gloss coat then new decals!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

This model is gonna love being finished mate  :thumbsup:

kerick

I've got the second one to do too. At least I have all the parts for it.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Do I dare to ask how long that one will take to build 🤔 😅

kerick

Definitely not thirty years! I'll be dead by then!
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Hell im not even sure if I'll be here in 5yrs let alone 30 plus...definitely not betting on that mate.

Old Wombat

30 years? We'll see. If I can keep juggling my marbles, I hope to get there! :thumbsup:  ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est