Site Activity And Changing Times...

Started by AeroplaneDriver, April 05, 2023, 09:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 07, 2023, 01:32:25 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 06, 2023, 03:06:34 PMOK...It was just a thought.  Seems the group are at best ambivalent about the idea.  I was just brainstorming after seeing the low participation in the GB Poll.  Maybe it is best to accept we have 50ish active members and that's it.

No problems mate , and in a way that's the beauty of the site in that such issues can be raised. :thumbsup:

Chris

Couldn't have said that better myself. And apologies if I sounded a bit harsh earlier. No harm intended.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 11, 2023, 02:33:38 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on April 11, 2023, 12:24:20 AMYeah, there's tons of posts to go through but we're all selective in what we read

Speak for yourself  ;)

But don't you get paid for reading all of the posts?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Old Wombat

Quote from: kitbasher on April 11, 2023, 03:09:11 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on April 11, 2023, 12:24:20 AMYeah, there's tons of posts to go through but we're all selective in what we read

Speak for yourself  ;)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on April 11, 2023, 03:09:11 AM

Speak for yourself  ;)

Oh it was you who dropped that anonymous note into my local HMRC office  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

No it must have been Martin, he was the one who told me  :wacko:
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on April 11, 2023, 07:53:55 AMNo it must have been Martin, he was the one who told me  :wacko:

Classic miss-information tactics  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Martin H

Quote from: kitbasher on April 11, 2023, 07:53:55 AMNo it must have been Martin, he was the one who told me  :wacko:
Now where did i put that site ban button?  :wacko:  ;D  ;D  ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on April 11, 2023, 09:22:13 AMNow where did i put that site ban button?  :wacko:  ;D  ;D  ;D

I saw it the other week, rolling down the A14 and muttering about being over-worked................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: Martin H on April 11, 2023, 09:22:13 AM
Now where did i put that site ban button?  :wacko:  ;D  ;D  ;D

🤣🤣🤣

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 11, 2023, 09:48:50 AM
Quote from: Martin H on April 11, 2023, 09:22:13 AMNow where did i put that site ban button?  :wacko:  ;D  ;D  ;D

I saw it the other week, rolling down the A14 and muttering about being over-worked................  ;D

Really? Then it must be one lazy sod, because I, at least, certainly don't see too many people being banned around these parts. :blink:

Possibly you misheard & it was actually muttering something about being "under-worked & under-appreciated"? :unsure: 
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Martin H

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 11, 2023, 11:02:14 AM[Possibly you misheard & it was actually muttering something about being "under-worked & under-appreciated"? :unsure:

That would explain why it went AWOL..........................
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

If anyone HAD been banned they wouldn't have been around to complain about it, would they?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Does it actually matter?

Since the dawn of the web modelling forum, the number of active participants has always been a
fraction of the total membership or viewership.

It's just a typical feature of human social interaction in group settings.

It seems to me that setting up a Facebook group would be a solution looking for a problem.

Weaver

Quote from: Hobbes on April 09, 2023, 09:59:13 AMAfter a number of years where I was very active on the forum, reading almost every thread, and commenting frequently, my activity here has declined. I've seen the same pattern with other forums I use.
The number of things I'm interested in has increased, so more stuff to divide my time over. Youtube has become a major time sink. I'm not happy with that, but it's proving a hard habit to break.

I still visit the forum every day, but I don't read everything any more. The shift to blog-type threads that are 100 pages long has made it more difficult to keep up to date.
Mental health plays a role - work pressure has gone up in recent years. Too many nights when I don't feel like doing anything. I still feel part of the community though.

Wot he said: that's almost perfectly my situation, except with me it's been health and family problems rather than work.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Another factor might be simply that we're victims of our own success. What-If models are WAY more accepted on 'normal' modelling sites and in clubs than they used to be, so a casual whiffer, who does the odd what-if in between real-world models,, maybe doesn't feel the need to seek out a community of like-minded souls for acceptance as much as he might have done fifteen years ago.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones