Site Activity And Changing Times...

Started by AeroplaneDriver, April 05, 2023, 09:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: seadude on April 06, 2023, 06:42:38 AMWe're in the 21st century, folks. People want things better, faster, and easier when it comes to communicating with others. And that's where social media is. In another few years, decade, or whatever, forums like this will go the way of the dinosaurs. It will happen.

Not while I'm alive.

OK, I KNOW I'm the oldest member on here, but that's a good reason to keep on keeping on here.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Well, if you believe Mr. Z. we will be all wearing VR googles soon or have, accoridsng to Mr. M, have plugs in our craniums that directly hook into virtual worlds - or totally controlled and marketed environments. I personally like this "little village" here, because it is independent and NOT a commercial playground for FIGJAM posers. I hope this will stay so far quite a while.

Steel Penguin

ill add my .02Cr  in that i deliberately avoid facebook and its ilk,  i lose enough time between a handful of modelling / wargames fours, and a couple of fanfic sites,  if i can get a neural interface, fine  but a phone is a phone, is a phone. i have enough problems looking at some of the stuff on this site on a 24" ( ish) monitor, i wouldant see a darned thing on a phone.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Wardukw

Quite a few of my mate are or were on FB and christ I am sick of FB ..I was sadly to say on FB for a month and even that was to much...all the BS which follows it and the sorts of ppl who are on it was more than enough to persuade me to I didn't like or want to be there.
I'm in no way a social media person and never will be .

There are so many rules and regulations and the freedom side is totally controlled and you know that the controlling side of it is more entuned to social engineering..the world has turned ppl into a "type" ..a social media junkie and their entire lives now revolve around it..in a way I get a feeling this is exactly what thr social media companies want..control in your day-to-day life and their happy as long as most of your life is now based there on twatter or FB or what ever the rest are called.
My arse will never ever visit any fb page no matter what it is about or how good it is ..the time I have left I would rather waste here than spending hours going thru that mind numbing crap.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on April 06, 2023, 04:24:47 AMI too detest face book and won't have anything to do with it unless it is absolutely necessary.

I'm happy how it is here.
Although I wish I knew what happened to Brad C (Chronic).

One thing which could be done is to email all registered members everytime there is a poll or a GB.  One of the model car forums I occasionally visit does this.  Doesn't make me visit any more often though TBH.

I don't detest FB but don't use it for much other than the modelling groups. I normally post some stuff on different groups and although it's great to reach a bigger number of people, that doesn't make it a priority for me. I like our "home" as is exactly because we have a great vibe going on. I see lots of meaningless "fights" and too much hatred thrown around on FB modelling groups so, i can live without it... Living without this forum would be a whole different story... i share personal stuff on here that i'd never even consider sharing on a public post on FB so i guess that shows my preference.

BTW, @ Fred - Brad C's normally active on FB. I've spoken to him a few times on messenger and told him to come by just to let us know he's ok but nothing since then and that was just a over a year ago... he seems to be doing ok... but i haven't seen any models or comments on the groups he used to frequent there so i guess he took a break or simply dropped the hobby. :-\
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Pellson

To be brutally honest, I don't really care about the numbers. And to be even more honest, I can easily find other fora with whatif content - BUT - there is NO OTHER PLACE on the internet wher people are so nice and friendly. And that's why my vote is for changing NOTHING!

Hell - if we shift this site from modelling to knitting, I'll start stealing yarn from the lovely Mrs P and stay on regardless.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Freightdog862

I normally only check the forum every few days, unless I've posting something new in my range and I can't resist looking more often for feedback! I only really use fb for Freightdog, I don't post anything on my personal account, and do get tired of seeing people posting about how wonderful their life's are going. I can honestly say as a marketing tool fb generate next to no sales for me, but its a way of communicating with a wider customer base, 

I think things change over time, I have become a member of three What-If groups on fb but I've never posted anything on it. actually I didn't realize it was three different groups until I checked, I really wasn't paying attention when I joined them! 

I like this site, I'm not an active builder here (despite ongoing efforts to try) but do try to post now and then.

Colin     

scooter

Quote from: Pellson on April 06, 2023, 01:48:28 PMTo be brutally honest, I don't really care about the numbers. And to be even more honest, I can easily find other fora with whatif content - BUT - there is NO OTHER PLACE on the internet wher people are so nice and friendly. And that's why my vote is for changing NOTHING!

Hell - if we shift this site from modelling to knitting, I'll start stealing yarn from the lovely Mrs P and stay on regardless.

Hear! Hear!
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

AeroplaneDriver

OK...It was just a thought.  Seems the group are at best ambivalent about the idea.  I was just brainstorming after seeing the low participation in the GB Poll.  Maybe it is best to accept we have 50ish active members and that's it.

I agree that the main What If FB group can be frustrating because they don't allow 'in progress' pics.  There is another group though that is not a What if group, just modeling in general.  Facebook Scale Modelers.  It's a VERY active group and accepting of any and all genres.  I post all of my builds there and a couple of my What Ifs have actually been made the group banner picture, so they are very accepting of the What If world.  It's really the only FB group I participate in to any extent other than a private group for work, mostly travel related. 

I will say I don't find it as onerous as some here seem to as I've managed to reconnect with a lot of friends all over the world through it. 

Anyway, as I said I was just brainstorming, and I appreciate the feedback on the idea. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

uncletain

Thought I would add my 2 pennies worth.

First time posting

About 15 years lurking.

I love this site, I check for new posts daily, love reading everyone's modelling journeys but most of all I love looking at all the pictures of your marvellous creations. It cheers my day.
At some point I'll join in and show  some of my whiffs, only done a couple in the 15 years  but in the meantime please keep doing what you are doing. You might not realise the joy you being to other people.

Weaver

I've been on here since 2008, with quiet and active periods since then. I don't do Facebook: didn't like it the first time somebody showed it to me and have never changed my opinion. I'd be wary of starting a Facebook page specifically linked to this site: a biker's forum I used to frequent did that and pretty soon, all the activity was on Facebook and the forum folded.

I do do Twitter though, and there's quite a decent modelling community on there. I plug What If Modellers as often as I can without turning into a stuck record.

I suspect that people registering here but never posting is mainly a matter of them wanting to see a particular picture.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

I think most of the regulars here are, in many ways, refugees for the Social Media world & are generally happy with the status quo ante.

I have no objection to a parallel Facebook page being set up but I doubt may of the regulars here would do more than glance at it occasionally, including me.

However, if there's a way of the group moderators (if Facebook has them) keeping the trolls & ... well, wankers ... off the site, so that the membership has the same values as the membership here, then it's at least worth a try for the future of the hobby's less self-obsessed practitioners.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 06, 2023, 09:21:31 PMI think most of the regulars here are, in many ways, refugees for the Social Media world & are generally happy with the status quo ante.

I have no objection to a parallel Facebook page being set up but I doubt may of the regulars here would do more than glance at it occasionally, including me.

However, if there's a way of the group moderators (if Facebook has them) keeping the trolls & ... well, wankers ... off the site, so that the membership has the same values as the membership here, then it's at least worth a try for the future of the hobby's less self-obsessed practitioners.

The page I reference above is VERY well moderated.  They have a strict rule against criticizing any builds and also against posting any links, and ads, etc. The atmosphere reminds me a lot of this site which in large part promoted the idea.  But I do understand the points made above and will let it rest for now.  For those who hate facebook and refuse to participate...to each their own but I'd encourage a look at the page I mention above. I'm more active there than here just because it is a lot more active (and less specialized) forum for modeling.  Some lovely folks are regular posters and there are some great models and ideas.  Maybe give it a shot. It doesn't detract from my activity here and this is still my "Whif Home" after almost 20 years here. 

Anyhoo...nuff said on the subject.   
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 06, 2023, 03:06:34 PMOK...It was just a thought.  Seems the group are at best ambivalent about the idea.  I was just brainstorming after seeing the low participation in the GB Poll.  Maybe it is best to accept we have 50ish active members and that's it.

No problems mate , and in a way that's the beauty of the site in that such issues can be raised. :thumbsup:

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 07, 2023, 01:32:25 AMNo problems mate , and in a way that's the beauty of the site in that such issues can be raised. :thumbsup:

And in a resonable/reasoned/civilised manner.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter