New Toy

Started by AeroplaneDriver, April 06, 2023, 08:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Treated myself to a new toy I've been eyeing for a while.  Getting tired of posting crappy iPhone photos so I've been considering a better camera.  Last week while looking for a decent point-and-shoot I found a GREAT deal online for a Canon EOS2000D DSLR.  It came bundled with a telephoto and wide angle lens, tripod, case, set of filters, memory card, and cleaning and accessory kit.  It arrived this afternoon so of course I couldn't resist experimenting a little this evening.  Too late to attempt any kind of proper setup so I just took a couple of shots of a model inside a display case, just in ambient room lighting.

Kit is the lovely new Tamiya 1/48 F-4B that I completed earlier in the year.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kerick

I'd say it works very well!  :thumbsup:
Nice job on that F-4!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on April 06, 2023, 08:42:31 PMI'd say it works very well!  :thumbsup:
Nice job on that F-4!

Very much so, for both! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Oh nice pics mate and a very nice camera.
I enlarged the hell out of those pics and still very clear  :thumbsup:
Wait till you play with the macro function  :wub:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Looks to be a very nice camera mate and a lovely F.4  :thumbsup:

I struggle with the camera on my phone, part of that is caused by one of my medical issues, but even without that I'm still far more comfortable with my weighty old Nikon  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Looks like a nice toy.

I have a Sony DSLR but since the mounting flange broke off my favourite lens (zoom with macro), and i've had to resort to a less suitable one, I find I can take better pics with my phone.
I really need a replacement lens but can't justify spending the $$$ ATM.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Proper size DSLRs can take good pics in conditions that make the most up-market phones curl up and die. I mostly use my Pentax K mount camera for that reason, and I've got a good range of lenses that fit its K Mount from previous cameras that I use for getting 1:1 scale pics too.

That Canon looks the BUSINESS!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Nice score!

I've got an 'old' Eos 20D and before that I used a wet film Eos 600 (which I still have somewhere). Love them both and never had the slightest problem with either. :thumbsup:

BTW, if anyone's wondering, 'EOS' isn't an acronym, it's the name of the Greek goddess of the dawn.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 07, 2023, 01:35:35 AMLooks to be a very nice camera mate and a lovely F.4  :thumbsup:

I struggle with the camera on my phone, part of that is caused by one of my medical issues, but even without that I'm still far more comfortable with my weighty old Nikon  :thumbsup:

Lovely camera, and model;  but I'll stick to my tatty old Nikon F1 film camera for ultra detailed work.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

I've still got a 35 mm Werra V I still use for aviation and motorsport pics because it has such a fast film wind.

For those who are mystified, this is one. It has interchangeable lenses, but only three of them, 35 mm, 50 mm and 100 mm, but they work just fine.

You cannot view this attachment.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

This has got me seriously tempted by a good offer on a just-out-of-production Canon that I've fancied for a while. It's an Eos M200, which is basically the same electronics as Aeroplane Driver's 2000D but without all the mechanical Single Lens Reflex gear (known as a 'mirrorless' camera in the jargon). It's tiny, so not as ergonomic handling-wise, but a damned sight easier to carry than my 20D, still has interchangeable lenses, will shoot video and will still be supported with software updates and the like for many years yet (my 20D's getting a bit thin on that score).

Have to see how the next few days at work go though: I was off ill again for two days last week...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Weaver on April 10, 2023, 12:19:01 PMThis has got me seriously tempted by a good offer on a just-out-of-production Canon that I've fancied for a while. It's an Eos M200, which is basically the same electronics as Aeroplane Driver's 2000D but without all the mechanical Single Lens Reflex gear (known as a 'mirrorless' camera in the jargon). It's tiny, so not as ergonomic handling-wise, but a damned sight easier to carry than my 20D, still has interchangeable lenses, will shoot video and will still be supported with software updates and the like for many years yet (my 20D's getting a bit thin on that score).

Have to see how the next few days at work go though: I was off ill again for two days last week...

I actually considered that one.  A really nice little camera and would be better for travel than the 2000D, but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend.  Found this bundle for well under $400. 

Weaver

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 10, 2023, 01:08:01 PM
Quote from: Weaver on April 10, 2023, 12:19:01 PMThis has got me seriously tempted by a good offer on a just-out-of-production Canon that I've fancied for a while. It's an Eos M200, which is basically the same electronics as Aeroplane Driver's 2000D but without all the mechanical Single Lens Reflex gear (known as a 'mirrorless' camera in the jargon). It's tiny, so not as ergonomic handling-wise, but a damned sight easier to carry than my 20D, still has interchangeable lenses, will shoot video and will still be supported with software updates and the like for many years yet (my 20D's getting a bit thin on that score).

I actually considered that one.  A really nice little camera and would be better for travel than the 2000D, but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend.  Found this bundle for well under $400. 

That's a good deal, but there's nothing like around here. The M200 is bundled with a few extras for £440, presumably because it's being cleared. The RRP for the same bundle on Canon's own website is £700+

- Indiana Jones

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Weaver on April 10, 2023, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 10, 2023, 01:08:01 PM

That's a good deal, but there's nothing like around here. The M200 is bundled with a few extras for £440, presumably because it's being cleared. The RRP for the same bundle on Canon's own website is £700+

I ordered if from a third party seller on the WalMart website. The odd thing was that when it arrived the power cable in the camera box was a UK one.  The bundle included a US cable but odd that the camera itself seems to be packaged for the UK market.

PR19_Kit

'Fell off the back of a container mate'.  ;D

Regards
Kit