M4A3 (90 mm) HVSS, Operation Coronet, 1946

Started by Jakko, April 07, 2023, 02:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakko

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 08, 2023, 02:57:50 AMbefore I really went down the wiffy hole I'd built over 200 models..planes first then armour..since then even my time in the army didn't stop my building armored vehicles.. freaking hundreds of em
I've been building models for over 40 years, at varying rates depending on other interests, and though I've always built things that you could call either "what-if" or plain fantasy, for as long as I have considered myself a serious modeller, realism and accuracy have been important factors for me. Sure, I can and might build a model that's essentially random stuff from all kinds of others stuck together but I wouldn't call it a "what-if" model because I can't find the realism in, say, using a Panzer IV hull with T-64 suspension, Sherman tracks and a Bradley turret: there is no logical extrapolation that I can see to get from real-world things to a model like that. As plain science-fiction model that doesn't pretend to be a Panzer IV derivative, sure. As a fictional variant of a real-world vehicle, no. What I basically build in this genre is the latter. I need to work out to my own satisfaction how and why this variant might have existed, had history run slightly differently.

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 08, 2023, 02:57:50 AM..for me..
This (even if it's a quote out of context), though, hits the nail on the head: we build models primarily for ourselves, so whatever works for you is how you should do it :) Sure, it's fun to share them with others who can appreciate them, but I don't think we should measure other people's models by our own standards. This keeps everybody happy :)

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 08, 2023, 02:57:50 AMOh by the way..bloody loving this build 😀 👏
Great :)

Let's finish this model, then ...

After shading and highlighting, I added decals for markings:

You cannot view this attachment.

They're from a number of of sources, mainly Tamiya and Italeri kits because I have decals going back almost my entire 40+-year modelling career ... Black stars on the hull sides, to represent them having been painted out by the crews so they don't form nice aiming marks for the Japanese, the turret number is from a Tamiya Sherman kit's Pacific theatre markings, the name is from yet another kit, etc. It doesn't really necessarily mean anything when added together but gives a good impression of typical US Army markings in the PTO.

After the decals, I could start weathering the model:

You cannot view this attachment.

This is a combination of washes, drybrushing, not-so-drybrushing, Tamiya weathering sticks, and more to give a very dirty lower hull (and a less dirty turret, but not pictured here). I looked into the soil colours in Japan so I could pick paints that seem to fit. In southern Honshu, it turns out the soil is often a fairly dark brown colour, which I tried to replicate. This makes it less visible than it could be against the OD of the tank, but I think I got it looking right for a tank that has been in-country for a while.

The rubber of the wheels and the inside of the track were painted with a dark grey and then given a wash of thinned-down Indian ink, roughly anywhere between 1:1 and 1:2 ink to water. After that dried, I drybrushed them with a few shades of grey again. I really like the look this gives to rubber parts, though you have to be careful applying a wash thinned with water over it, because the ink might run.

The tow cable, BTW, because I see I forgot to mention it earlier, is made with eyes from the kit plus copper wire. The wire comes from a length of electrical cable, that I twisted together with a hand drill and a hook I screwed into the wall above my work surface. The main difficulty is working out how many strands to use for the cable to fit the eyes, and I wish I could remember how many I used here ...
... I know all this and more ...

Jakko

And the finished model:

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

The empty casings are from the AFV Club turned-brass 90 mm set, given a coat of Tamiya Smoke to make them look less like polished brass, and drybrushed around the open end with black. They're positioned on the engine deck as if they have been thrown out of the pistol port with the turret as in the last photo :)

Oh yeah, and the antennas are 0.3 mm spring steel — great for antennas, because it will bend back if you happen to hit it by accident (unless you break off the whole antenna mount, of course).

Old Wombat

OK, the masked TC looks a little like a Battle Gerbil but, other than that slightly disorientating element, that's come out really well! Weathering is looking exceptionally good! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

(And it looks like four strands of wire for the cable. ;) )
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Very very nice matey 👍 👌
Subtle weathering is bang on..that's what I call a very clean build..top notch stuff 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Jakko

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 08, 2023, 11:09:56 AMthat slightly disorientating element
That was pretty much the purpose of adding the gas mask :) Well, that, and because there was the fear IRL that the Japanese might use chemical weapons when defending their homeland.

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 08, 2023, 11:09:56 AMthat's come out really well! Weathering is looking exceptionally good! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 08, 2023, 11:09:56 AM(And it looks like four strands of wire for the cable. ;) )
It was more like fourteen :) The wires are something like 0.1 mm each, and it was definitely more than ten of them.

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 08, 2023, 11:53:59 AMVery very nice matey 👍 👌
Subtle weathering is bang on..that's what I call a very clean build..top notch stuff 😀
Thanks :) Like I said, the weathering doesn't show up that well against the OD, it's more obvious if you see the model in the flesh. I'm not inviting any of you over to look at it, though ;)

buzzbomb

Weaver

That looks really good - well done, and welcome to the madhouse!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Quote from: Jakko on April 08, 2023, 01:11:18 PMThanks :) Like I said, the weathering doesn't show up that well against the OD, it's more obvious if you see the model in the flesh. I'm not inviting any of you over to look at it, though ;)

Rude! :rolleyes: :P ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Rats!  :wacko:  :wacko:
Really well done. And it seemed to go pretty quickly. That would have taken me months.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Jakko

Thanks all :)

Quote from: kerick on April 08, 2023, 10:36:27 PMThat would have taken me months.
Oh, this took me ... (checks the dates on the photos) ... from 25 January 2021 to 3 April 2021. So call it two months — which is pretty quick for me, especially considering I began building a medium tank M3 around the time the basic paintwork on this model was finished but before I built the tracks and did the weathering etc. Though, of course, it being two years ago is why I could post the whole thing here in just a few days :)

I've got a few other finished models I intend to post about here, and am still thinking about how to do an M247 Sgt. York what-if ... US Army M247A1 with Stingers? Israeli with Merkava tracks? South Korean with skirt plates? Something else yet?

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 08, 2023, 07:30:47 PM
Quote from: Jakko on April 08, 2023, 01:11:18 PMThanks :) Like I said, the weathering doesn't show up that well against the OD, it's more obvious if you see the model in the flesh. I'm not inviting any of you over to look at it, though ;)

Rude! :rolleyes: :P ;)

I agree.  I love to visit The Netherlands.  I was all packed, leave booked, flights sorted, and then this.
Now what am I going to do with the time.
 :unsure:

Seriously though, good job.   :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That's a terrific job  :bow:

Quote from: Jakko on April 08, 2023, 01:11:18 PMThat was pretty much the purpose of adding the gas mask :) Well, that, and because there was the fear IRL that the Japanese when defending their homeland.

And here's me thinking one of his crewmates had had baked beans for lunch ?  ;) Either that or one of my American relatives was serving aboard her  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Jakko

Quote from: zenrat on April 09, 2023, 04:19:01 AMI agree.  I love to visit The Netherlands.  I was all packed, leave booked, flights sorted, and then this.
Now what am I going to do with the time.
 :unsure:
Despite not liking that city very much, I'm just following Amsterdam's lead ;)

Quote from: zenrat on April 09, 2023, 04:19:01 AMSeriously though, good job.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 09, 2023, 05:38:47 AMThat's a terrific job  :bow:
Thanks, guys :)

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 09, 2023, 05:38:47 AMAnd here's me thinking one of his crewmates had had baked beans for lunch ?  ;) Either that or one of my American relatives was serving aboard her  :angel:
Chances of that might be pretty high ... I just noticed (only two years later) that it also looks a lot like he's leaving the tank in a hurry.

Wardukw

From what read and if it's correct US WW2 baked beans would have you doing a massive drum solo very quickly ..so this is very plausible  ;D
It's also a good experience for leaving a tank under extreme duress  ;)
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Jakko

It's how they trained for getting out ASAP when the tank got hit.