Meteors Over Africa

Started by NARSES2, April 09, 2023, 06:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This will be my second entry in this GB. Hopefully an easier and more relaxing build than the SR A/1

You cannot view this attachment.

It's the Airfix Club members addition of the recently tooled Meteor, but in its FR.9 configuration.

Couple of points to note. The plastic used looks a bit odd/different when compared to the recent Airfix releases. It's more of an olive grey than the grey of previous kits and reminds me somewhat of that use by Fujimi many decades ago ? Secondly you really do need to give it a wash before even looking at it with a paintbrush, ask me how I know ?  :angel:

The parts look gorgeous though, maybe a tad fiddly for my fingers, but gorgeous none the less  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I just had a look at my FR9 and I see what you mean, there's a slight greenish tinge to the plastic.

But that's one HECK of a complicated build structure for a 1/72 Meteor kit! Those wing spars could carry a Centurion tank I reckon!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Ok, at least construction should be straight forward if doing OOB

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 09, 2023, 07:21:15 AMI just had a look at my FR9 and I see what you mean, there's a slight greenish tinge to the plastic.

Yup and thinking about it, it might be Fine Moulds plastic I'm reminded of rather than Fujimi ?

Anyway made some progress with this today. Used the Eduard 3D instrument panels etc, and despite there being a numbering error between sheet and instructions (seems to be catching ?) they work well and look good. Certainly a grade up from those in the S.R. A/1, but whether 3D transfers are worth the extra cost is a close call in my opinion. These came with the seatbelt etch (which from the blurb I'd assumed was also 3D) and therefore were probably worth it. I'll be waiting to see what the next generation of 3D transfers are like before making my mind up.

Got quite a few sub-assemblies done and the fit is fantastic, if it doesn't fit then it's you, not the kit  ;) Tolerances are very tight and any paint on mating services will screw the fit, so they need to be clean. If they are then a lot of the parts are click and fit. The engineering is also very clever in places, perhaps over engineered ? But if it ensures an excellent fit, why not  :thumbsup:

My only moan, there has to be one I'm a Brit after all  ;) , is the number of sprue gates. Some of the plastic is very thin, the wings are almost see through towards the tips, definitely translucent and they can be a pain to clean up. I can see myself investing in a really good quality set of flush sprue cutters if Airfix are going to keep this up.

Overall though it's a superb kit so far 
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 09, 2023, 07:21:15 AMBut that's one HECK of a complicated build structure for a 1/72 Meteor kit! Those wing spars could carry a Centurion tank I reckon!  :o

Certainly looks complicated Kit, but it works and works well  :thumbsup:

Gondor

I was putting one of the new F.8's together yesterday afternoon, I totally agree about the fit. You could probably manage to build the engine and wheel wells without using glue at all! Something I may try on one of my FR.9's just to see if it's possible.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on April 10, 2023, 05:48:22 AMYou could probably manage to build the engine and wheel wells without using glue at all! Something I may try on one of my FR.9's just to see if it's possible.

Gondor

My thoughts exactly  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Similar build to the Airfix 1/72 fabric wing Hurricane I, you really DIDN'T need to pre-paint any parts or there'd be no chance it would go together.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 10, 2023, 07:55:46 AMSimilar build to the Airfix 1/72 fabric wing Hurricane I, you really DIDN'T need to pre-paint any parts or there'd be no chance it would go together.  :banghead:

I've gone through the instructions and hi-lighted those parts which I need to pre-paint, but which have areas on them where paint is to be avoided or scraped off. Hopefully that will work.

Wardukw

Oh I hate that part...gotta be so careful or like your worried about is alot more work .
So I try to avoid it as much as possible 🙂
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

My PR19 Production transfers arrived this morning and they are brilliant  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Aw shucks. [Blush]

Glad they made it Chris.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

This is one of those kits that sucks you in. The fit is so good that you assemble a part, quite often hearing that satisfying "click" as it goes together exactly as intended, touch it with a brush loaded with Tamiya Extra Thin and then your brain goes "oh just one more sub-assembly before bed". Then before you know it  :rolleyes:

Beginning to wonder if the Buccaneer is the same ? May need to get it off its shelf in the stash and find out  ;D

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on April 10, 2023, 05:48:22 AMI was putting one of the new F.8's together yesterday afternoon, I totally agree about the fit. You could probably manage to build the engine and wheel wells without using glue at all! Something I may try on one of my FR.9's just to see if it's possible.

Gondor

Thus supporting Gondor's third rule!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on April 14, 2023, 05:50:57 AM
Quote from: Gondor on April 10, 2023, 05:48:22 AMI was putting one of the new F.8's together yesterday afternoon, I totally agree about the fit. You could probably manage to build the engine and wheel wells without using glue at all! Something I may try on one of my FR.9's just to see if it's possible.

Gondor

Thus supporting Gondor's third rule!

I think your misinterpretating the rule. The rule only applies if the parts fit duering a dry test but fail to fit when glued together. If I simply do a dry test the rule does not apply.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....