Meteors Over Africa

Started by NARSES2, April 09, 2023, 06:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Right she's been painted and is now having her markings applied, first time I've used "Kit's Decals"  ;) and they are working very well so far  :thumbsup:  Thanks Kit.

I thought I'd jot a couple of thoughts down on the general build of this kit as they might prove useful to anyone contemplating a build, or indeed simply as a reminder to me if I build a second. (once I write or type something down I tend to remember it)

Try and keep paint off of any joints, tabs etc as the fit is that tight.

The fit is so good that you can probably finish the wing/engine nacelle assembly and then attach it to the fuselage at the end of the build. It will certainly make fitting various bits like the undercarriage easier and give easier access to parts/areas etc.

The undercarriage is interesting and it's a very fiddly fit the way Airfix would have you do it, almost beyond my fingers. The legs and supporting struts have a very positive tab and slot attachment process and I'm fairly certain you could assemble the supporting struts before the main legs/wheel assembly. The tab/ slot would keep it in the correct position and then you can ease the leg/wheel assembly into its slot. Apply glue once they are slotted in. If you don't paint the wheel bays, supporting struts and bottom half of the legs until they are assembled then that will make your life easier, even easier if you've kept the wing separate,  as you've no paint fouling slots and tabs. You have to paint the mudguards and wheels however before you fit them because of the peculiar way Airfix have moulded the parts.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

The Meteor is a plane ive always liked..probably said that before here  ;D
The Airfix..the new Airfix version caught my eye early and so did that now permanent PITA price tag..I'll get one at some point.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on June 04, 2023, 07:55:49 PMThe Meteor is a plane ive always liked..probably said that before here  ;D
The Airfix..the new Airfix version caught my eye early and so did that now permanent PITA price tag..I'll get one at some point.

£23.99 UK price, probably reasonable for what you get. I got mine as a freebie for my Airfix Club membership

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 05, 2023, 06:18:17 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on June 04, 2023, 07:55:49 PMThe Meteor is a plane ive always liked..probably said that before here  ;D

£23.99 UK price, probably reasonable for what you get. I got mine as a freebie for my Airfix Club membership
They start at $75 and up here Chris and even if you do the math that still don't match up.
I have thought about joining that club mate as Airfix has some beautiful stuff out there now 😀
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Another one I am waiting to see how it turns out :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Transfers are on, including the stencils that I've decided to use. There are 100 stencils or so on the transfer sheet and some of them are miniscule, the size of a pin-head, although you can read them, as long as I take my glasses off and hold them up to my eye. So I've just used the ones that stand out - wing walk, ejection seat warnings etc. The rest have gone in the bin. 

Hoping to get her varnished tomorrow or Thursday. So all being well she will make the ball.  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

You throw out decals ??? I've never heard such a thing 😳  ;D
I honestly don't know the last time I thru any decals away which were still good...ive still got decals from 25yrs ago..useless now I'll bet but still .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on June 07, 2023, 09:55:38 AMYou throw out decals ??? I've never heard such a thing 😳  ;D
I honestly don't know the last time I thru any decals away which were still good...ive still got decals from 25yrs ago..useless now I'll bet but still .

Oh believe you me I don't normally, but some of these "stencils" were tiny yellow dots the size of a pin head for the flaps. There is no way any normal, sane person could use them. Or if they did they'd be abnormal, insane by the end of it  ;)

25 years old ? Nothing mate. I've some generic national insignia ones which I got at BMW's in Wimbledon back in the late 60's and they still work fine.

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 08, 2023, 12:39:38 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on June 07, 2023, 09:55:38 AMYou throw out decals ??? I've never heard such a thing 😳  ;D

Oh believe you me I don't normally, but some of these "stencils" were tiny yellow dots the size of a pin head for the flaps. There is no way any normal, sane person could use them. Or if they did they'd be abnormal, insane by the end of it  ;)

25 years old ? Nothing mate. I've some generic national insignia ones which I got at BMW's in Wimbledon back in the late 60's and they still work fine.
Oh so your talking microscope sized decals is ya ..so pointless..I can see why ya hoofed em and I'm sure I've would've too.

Ahhh but Chris my friend I didn't even start building until I was 8 and that would 1975 ..so you had a good start matey  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 08, 2023, 12:39:38 AM25 years old ? Nothing mate. I've some generic national insignia ones which I got at BMW's in Wimbledon back in the late 60's and they still work fine.

Wasn't that a mecca for us back in the day?

I've still got some Hisairdec and ABT decals from that period too, and they're perfectly useable still.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

You can notice the quality with some decals..ive got some Tamiya decals which are around 10yrs old and they've had it..falling apart as the water releases them and others which are cheap and nasty which are older but work fine.

mat

Quote from: Wardukw on June 08, 2023, 12:04:25 PMYou can notice the quality with some decals..ive got some Tamiya decals which are around 10yrs old and they've had it..falling apart as the water releases them and others which are cheap and nasty which are older but work fine.

Sometimes you can salvage old decals by giving them a spray with clear lacquer.

The Wooksta!

Microscale have a product called Decal Film, paint it on and it holds the decals together. Wonderful stuff, been using it for years.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw on June 08, 2023, 12:04:25 PMYou can notice the quality with some decals..ive got some Tamiya decals which are around 10yrs old and they've had it..falling apart as the water releases them and others which are cheap and nasty which are older but work fine.

And some of them were DIABOLICAL even when they were new!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit