R/W Korean Meteor

Started by Gondor, April 10, 2023, 01:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

So I started building this as it's the new Airfix Meteor and I am also building a Matchbox/Aeroclub PR.10 and wanted to get a better impression of some parts such as the cockpit coaming.

As this is a Real World build and knowing a little about the F.8 Meteor, I decided that I better find out a few things about the aircraft I am going to model. Decals are from Xtradecal set X72071 and are for A77-863 "Chiquita II", the aircraft is depicted serving with 77 Squadron at Kunsan, Korea in 1954.

The kit has a number of options when it comes to the engine intakes and also the ailerons so I need to get that right.

So far I have built parts of the wing and the main undercarriage bays

The holes in the wings for 60lb rocket launch rails are present in the F.8 kit as well as in the FR.9 kit and as I have an FR.9 to be made as an RAF machine it's rockets have been donated to this build.

An un spoken of extra is on the clear sprue and is needed for this build.

Part 7, just above a dark blob of paint, is the Radio Compass aerial cover although I am not totally convinced that there is enough of it on the clear sprue but I am yet to find anything else to go with it so far.

The kit is going together well and is one of the new Airfix kits that you should only paint either after you have built a sub assembly or by being careful to avoid putting paint near any mateing surfaces as the tollerances are very tight in places.

More to follow

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Thanks to NARSES2 for saying that he has problems with paint adhesion to the plastic, I have now washed the parts in warm soapy water with almost every part now dry so I can paint something so I can progress further.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Received the MMPBooks White Series No9152 Combat Meteors by Alex Crawford today. I have decided to have a good read befor I decide which aircraft I will model as that part really only applies to the decals for the individual aircraft I can take my time over that as that will be about the last thing to be done to the build. The book certainly looks interesting.

Gondor