M3 Half track ,,PE to the extreme .

Started by Wardukw, April 11, 2023, 05:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

I don't know what's more mind-blowing: the fact that this PE set exists at all or the fact that you managed to complete it without doing something that meant you did the finishing touches in prison. Huge props for even attempting it and for doing such an outstanding job... :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

You should send the pics to Metal Earth and tell them that they need to up their game a bit... :wacko:

Anmyway, for your next project, how about Brengun's 1/144th scale DH.2?  :wacko:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Jakko

Quote from: Weaver on April 14, 2023, 02:51:42 AMMetal Earth and tell them that they need to up their game a bit... :wacko:
That is setting the bar very low :P
... I know all this and more ...

Wardukw

Quote from: Weaver on April 14, 2023, 02:51:42 AMI don't know what's more mind-blowing: the fact that this PE set exists at all or the fact that you managed to complete it without doing something that meant you did the finishing touches in prison. Huge props for even attempting it and for doing such an outstanding job... :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

You should send the pics to Metal Earth and tell them that they need to up their game a bit... :wacko:

Anmyway, for your next project, how about Brengun's 1/144th scale DH.2?  :wacko:

Hahahaha 😆.  Two words for ya mate..can you guess what they are..to help the last letter of the last word is f 🤣
That DH-2 is small in 72nd..bloody hell man !! 1/144???..who in their right mind would even try something that small...will admit..epic stuff that  :thumbsup:
Thanks matey  ;D ...until I found the pics I'd pretty much forgotten about this build..so I'm glad you guys like it...it makes me feel good because of the nightmares this thing gave me   <_<

Jekko I feel your pain..cutting angles is a pain and it's even worse in metal..on the normal full size steel I work with its not a problem..it's bigger  ;D
But when we go down to what we work with ..my set square don't work ..it's to big  ;D
Besides plastic is much cheaper and you get more in a packet  <_<
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

I reckon Brengun trained some sort of intelligent rodent to build that DH-2, it's the only possible way it could have been built. The old Revell ? DH-2 still gives me nightmares from when I had reasonable eyesight and decent hand/eye co-ordination.  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Stuart Little built that bloody DH2 im sure of it..it's the only explanation.
I did make a DH2 in 72nd when I was a kid and you can bet some extremely serious money it didn't look anything like that one .
I have no idea who made this DH2 I had ..Airfix or Revell..no idea but it would have been terrible.
I did not build good models when I was a kid .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Jakko

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 14, 2023, 11:27:19 AMcutting angles is a pain and it's even worse in metal..on the normal full size steel I work with its not a problem..it's bigger  ;D
But when we go down to what we work with ..my set square don't work ..it's to big  ;D
This is one of the reasons why I bought this:

You cannot view this attachment.

Yes, it's expensive. But if you regularly need a lot of pieces of strip, rod, etc. cut to specific sizes, and especially need to make accurate angled cuts in that kind of material, it's a lifesaver.

BTW, I used to own this one:

You cannot view this attachment.

and would definitely recommend the RP Toolz one instead. It feels more solid, it's more precise, it had angle guides you can adjust instead of a few fixed angles, and it's graduated in actual, real-world units. Not to mention, looking up those pictures just now, it seems the RP Toolz version is cheaper by €10–15 at that ...

Wardukw

Yeah I know what you mean about being expensive..out of reach as im a invalid so I made my own  ;D  .
What ever it cost you it will probably a minimum of 2 times more here when you convert the euro to nz dollars oh and that bloody postage thing to.😳
I have plans of a bit of a redesign for the cutting arm using a much heavier mount with counter sunk bolts which come from underneath the cutting plate.

I have to go thru my metal pile and see what's there..im sure I've got some 12mm thick alloy angle ..think it's 100x100x12mm ..should work quite well.

zenrat

I have a Revell DH2 lined up for the re-engined GB.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on April 15, 2023, 06:12:48 AMI have a Revell DH2 lined up for the re-engined GB.

Anticipation!!!!  Will it be something subtle......a Bentley BR1,  or more extreme....................a Bristol Pegasus, or downright wild.......................a Bristol Centaurus ?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Quote from: Rheged on April 15, 2023, 06:28:13 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 15, 2023, 06:12:48 AMI have a Revell DH2 lined up for the re-engined GB.

Anticipation!!!!  Will it be something subtle......a Bentley BR1,  or more extreme....................a Bristol Pegasus, or downright wild.......................a Bristol Centaurus ?

Klimov RD-45 F   :wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Steel Penguin

westingland A-59 ?  :unsure:  :wacko: 
itll give a heck of a top speed  probably C+
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Jakko

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 15, 2023, 02:07:06 AMYeah I know what you mean about being expensive..out of reach as im a invalid so I made my own  ;D  .
That's the advantage of being a metalworker, I suppose :)

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 15, 2023, 02:07:06 AMWhat ever it cost you it will probably a minimum of 2 times more here when you convert the euro to nz dollars oh and that bloody postage thing to.😳
That had me wondering ... the only supplier on your side of the world seems to be BNA Model World in Australia, who lists it for NZ$192.57 at the moment, which is €108.71. That's about €20–30 more than it costs over here at the moment, IIRC, so not too bad — but like I said, still an expensive piece of kit. I know I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't regularly need things chopped to identical lengths.

Wardukw

Hahahaha 😆 Fred ... love your mind matey  :lol:
God that would funny as hell to see 3 jets on a DH.2  :wacko:

Jakko mate you'll find the closer to down here you go the more everything costs and it can go from experience to down right mental ..we've probably got the most expensive petrol on the planet here at nearly $3nz a litre ..and tons more besides.
So when it comes to model tools it's just not in a lot of ppls budgets .
My cutter is made from scrap wood..alloys and bolts ..oh and a old steel ruler 😉
I'll post a pic of it here so you guys can have a good laugh 😃..ugly but it works perfectly.. but not perfectly enough 🙂

Rick Lowe

I often think some of these sets include replacement parts simply to boost the numbers... like gear levers and steering wheels - seriously?
Flat plate ok, but anything that has a round profile? Nuh-uh. Even with a coat of paint, it wouldn't make it round enough. Clean your parts up properly.

I recall a few of that sort of scratchbuild in FineScale Modeler back in the day, and that was my thought - under a coat of paint, who can tell how much work has gone into it?
IIRC there was/is now a category (in the US, at least) where you get everything completed up to before the painting stage, and stop, so all your work can be seen in all it's mind-numbing glory.

Wardukw

I'll admit I didn't really want to paint this and even now I'm not happy at all with that paint job.
It's never looked right to me ..it's like it's just not sitting right ..got no idea how to really describe it tbh .