GB's - The Way Ahead

Started by NARSES2, April 12, 2023, 07:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on April 18, 2023, 05:59:04 AMWhich brings me to my last thought.  How many bites at the cherry will an unfinished/part started* build be allowed?

*can anyone define the difference between an unfinished build and a part started build?

There's no need to define the difference: they're the same thing.

The "bites at the cherry" part is dealt with by the 12 months rule: if a build thread was last posted on in last year's FIGB on 10th July that year, then the model can't be posted as a new entrant in this year's FIGB until 11th July this year. If it wasn't finished in time for the end of last year's FIGB, then it wasn't eligible for the vote, so it didn't have a "bite at the cherry" then. In any case, giving stalled builds more bites at the cherry is kind of the whole point of the FIGB: without it, in the face of the no-part-started-builds rule that applies to every other GB, there's an active disincentive to work on a stalled build ever again.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kitbasher on April 18, 2023, 08:56:32 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 18, 2023, 05:59:04 AMWhich brings me to my last thought.  How many bites at the cherry will an unfinished/part started* build be allowed?

I'd say just the once.

Yeah, that was my thinking when I originally posted the thought.

If you still don't get it finished for the new GB, (I'm looking at Me, here  :banghead: ) then it could possibly go for another later on, but that would be solely at the Mod's discretion and I agree this would be the fairest method in any case - saving Chris' time and typing finger.  ;)

I wasn't meaning to open a Can'o'Worms, but simply thinking it might be a way of getting some stalled builds completed.

kitbasher

Can'o'Worms?

Not to me, I think it's a great idea.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Old Wombat

I think we're starting to "Talk in Circles", now. So, perhaps we should just leave it for Chris to mull over for a couple of/few weeks & see what he lays on the table.

I know that whatever he comes up with will be a sensible & reasonable compromise, even if no-one is 100% happy with the framework.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Maybe the Finish It GB never ends?  Maybe it just keeps on rolling along with builds being added to the roster as and when.
Once a year all those which have been finished in the last 12 months are put into a poll and a vote taken.  The rest continue to be unfinished and stay on the list.
And a new Whiffies category is created - Longest time in FIGB...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 19, 2023, 01:09:27 AMI think we're starting to "Talk in Circles", now. So, perhaps we should just leave it for Chris to mull over for a couple of/few weeks & see what he lays on the table.

I know that whatever he comes up with will be a sensible & reasonable compromise, even if no-one is 100% happy with the framework.

Nothing like a bit of pressure  ;D  No, cheers mate, appreciated  :thumbsup:

Thoughts are crystallising, so give me a week and we'll see what I can come up with.

Quote from: zenrat on April 19, 2023, 05:13:58 AMAnd a new Whiffies category is created - Longest time in FIGB...

And I can see the arguments developing now over Time Zones and what the heck is the Sites time based on in the first place ?  ;D  I know I could figure it out, but up until now it's not been necessary  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 17, 2023, 02:33:37 AMYeah I'm with ya now..using the GB to finish a part build is entirely different from what I've been yapping about..im thinking a parts model ..not a parts build .
If that's the case then I'm all good and can shut up now  ;D
In udda woids youse is talkin' 'bout using the Shelf of Doom as a breaker's yard aka Wardukw's Pull-a-Part.
;D

Wardukw

Quote from: jcf on April 20, 2023, 09:59:00 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 17, 2023, 02:33:37 AMYeah I'm with ya now..using the GB to finish a part build is entirely different from what I've been yapping about..im thinking a parts model ..not a parts build .
If that's the case then I'm all good and can shut up now  ;D
In udda woids youse is talkin' 'bout using the Shelf of Doom as a breaker's yard aka Wardukw's Pull-a-Part.
;D

Listen up me ol son ..finking of partin out a rolla..im ya man mate ..youse need tha parts..ive got em  :thumbsup:  ;D

Definitely some Ork language coming there mes finks  :wacko:  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Ya fink?!

"Needs More Dakka!!"

Wardukw

Big stonkin Dakka and some mad arse mech Boyz to build it  :wacko:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Wardukw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on April 20, 2023, 10:45:55 PMYeh!
Yep I used to do the 40k ...man I'm glad I don't anymore.

NARSES2

Woke up around 5:30 this morning and brain went "ah now there's an idea". Grabbed pen and notepad and quickly scribbled said thoughts about a possible way forward down (they had to be re-scribbled when I got up and put my glasses on  ;D ). See I think of you lot even in my dreams or should that be nightmares ?  ;)

On track for release of version two of proposal next weekend.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Nightmares, definitely! :wacko:

Thanks heaps, mate! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe