GB's - The Way Ahead

Started by NARSES2, April 12, 2023, 07:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

I would prefer no re-vote in case of a tie. If 10 build tie for first place then we have 10 winners.

Also I would add a rule that if it is not in the finished build thread, it is not finished and will not be entered in the vote.

And I like the idea of the one-year GB.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: TomZ on April 13, 2023, 07:59:43 AMI would prefer no re-vote in case of a tie. If 10 build tie for first place then we have 10 winners.

TomZ

This feels like overcomplicating the rules to accommodate a hypothetical that would never realistically happen.  Ties are rare as it is and it has never been more than a two way tie as far as I can remember.   
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 13, 2023, 05:41:26 AMOn the subject of allowing part started builds into GB's ? Personally I'm quite uncomfortable with this as it somehow seems to run against the whole ethos of what the GB's are intended to be ? What's to stop people entering a model that they finished 2 years ago into it..

My thinking is that as long as each model only participates once, then it's alright. Yes, it does dilute the principle of building "together" during a set period, but the upside is - hopefully - more completed projects to enjoy for all of us. And obviously, a pic at the GB start should be compulsory to prove that it indeed is an unfinished model.

Re the increased moderator workload - yes, but only if we split the GB into TB and GB, or into separate GB categories. If we instead look past the status at GB start, and focus at the end result, then the increased workload would be limited to adding the increased number of participating models.

However, Chris, I do respect and understand your view in this matter, and I'd rather leave things as is than annoy you. What I try to do above is only to show an opportunity, not demand a change.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

crudebuteffective

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 12, 2023, 05:53:10 PMThanks for putting this together Chris.

The tradition of the one one-week build and three 90 day GB's is about perfect.  Never any overlap. Propose we codify this format.   

I think the two main cornerstones of this forum are providing folks a place to build whatever they want on their own time, and the three GBs.  The GB's generate much excitement, banter and occasionally tears.  The three GB's give enough time for us slower builders, and you can always sit one out if it is not of interest or life gets busy, but your have something to look forward to just a few months ahead. 

My thoughts on your questions:

One week build:
-Yes, keep it.  Sometimes I participate sometimes I cant.
-Happy with the 2 weekends, 9 days
-Yes have a set date.  Don't adjust around those that have conflicts. There is no such thing as a perfect week for everyone. 

GB's
-3 to 1 sounds fine, 4 to 1 might be better for a large number of entries. 
-A tie is a tie, no revotes.  Co-winners or runners up are declared.  I worry tie breakers might come down to a popularity contest, or arbitrary factors. 

Concur with the rules.

For your finished build comments on number 3, I recommend being even more specific, and I think a BRIEF backstory is OK, with perhaps something like;
- All finished entries must be posted to the finished build thread by the end of the GB time where you are.  The format for finished entries shall be:
Title, by: entrants user name, no more than a 2 sentence (80 character) backstory/explanation, a maximum of three pictures and a link to the build/progress thread. 
Example: "Harrier GR1 in Rhodesian Service" by Sandiego89.  The RhAF was looking for a robust counter insurgency aircraft that could operate from austere air fields. Matchbox 1/72, (three pictures), (clickable link to build thread). Please do not comment within the finished builds thread.  All comments should be in the respective build thread or GB discussion thread. 

As for themed builds I am ambivalent.  One per year might be OK, but I caution about having too many or certain folks proposing themes that are way too obscure for broad interest.  Again, I think the 3 GB's are a key cornerstone of this site and we should not diminish them in any way.       

i agree with the comments from the right honourable member for the commonwealth of virginia
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

NARSES2

More food for thought. Thank you gentlemen  :thumbsup:

Regarding the Theme Builds, one of the original ideas behind it was that it could be a place where people who had similar ideas and interests could post pics of their builds when those builds either weren't in the annual GB schedule or hadn't even been suggested as a GB.

It's never really taken off as such and as a certain elderly marsupial says could certainly do with being cleaned up.  :angel:  I'm also starting to see a way forward thanks to the same gentleman's reply  :thumbsup:  Hopefully I'll get my brain around the subject nearer the end of the month, allows for more people chiming in and I've also got a few things on - still not got my Coronation invite though  ;) . Anyway my brain is starting to come to grips with this, so I just need to start scribbling  :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 14, 2023, 05:23:51 AMstill not got my Coronation invite though 

Judging by the lack of interest being reported, they might be selling them off cheap in the week leading up to the 'big' event, so don't lose hope... :wacko:

And also: thanks for all the work you put into organising this stuff and the trouble you're taking to find out the membership's views. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Pellson

Quote from: Weaver on April 14, 2023, 09:26:20 PMAnd also: thanks for all the work you put into organising this stuff and the trouble you're taking to find out the membership's views. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

What the gentleman said!  :thumbsup:

Rheged

Quote from: Pellson on April 15, 2023, 02:30:08 AM
Quote from: Weaver on April 14, 2023, 09:26:20 PMAnd also: thanks for all the work you put into organising this stuff and the trouble you're taking to find out the membership's views. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

What the gentleman said!  :thumbsup:

Agreed!  Weaver has it right!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

In regards to incorporating a related existing Theme Build into a Group Build, rather than integrating the TB into the GB perhaps
just include a link to the TB. Some of the TBs have been around for yonks and adding them as another thing for the moderators
to monitor would be increasing the workload with no inherent benefit to those running the GB.
;)
However a TB could serve as a good source of inspiration for the GB, especially those old builds that folks have never seen or
have become lost in the fog of glue and paint fumes.
;)

Perhaps add the TB link(s) at the bottom of the rules post, or as the opening post in an "Inspirations" topic.

Cheers, Jon

McColm

Rule 5
I would like to amend this rule to include kitbashing or broken models to be used as donors. Photos of the donors to be posted.
You might have something suitable that has been started for the build as long as it hasn't been declared Finished .

As to suggestions for future GBs,  this should be limited to 5 per nominee. Then groups or similar specifications can be included as one.

Tiebreaker,  if two builds have the number of votes then it should be shared. I think the podium is large enough to accommodate the winners.

crudebuteffective

Quote from: McColm on April 15, 2023, 11:34:59 AM.

Tiebreaker,  if two builds have the number of votes then it should be shared. I think the podium is large enough to accommodate the winners.

not sure about that, my doctors BMI charts says i'm 4 inches too short
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: crudebuteffective on April 15, 2023, 12:52:46 PMnot sure about that, my doctors BMI charts says i'm 4 inches too short

BMI charts have been fiddled by the NHS to show that EVERYone is too short, apart from a few serious marathon runners that is.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 15, 2023, 01:00:32 PM
Quote from: crudebuteffective on April 15, 2023, 12:52:46 PMnot sure about that, my doctors BMI charts says i'm 4 inches too short

BMI charts have been fiddled by the NHS to show that EVERYone is too short, apart from a few serious marathon runners that is.

Our surgery say BMI is not their preferred measure.   In fact, Dr Rob has said he'd rather people carried a few extra pounds on the basis that if you are unwell, you lose weight and someone who doesn't have the reserve is more at risk!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

Quote from: Rheged on April 15, 2023, 01:16:40 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 15, 2023, 01:00:32 PM

Our surgery say BMI is not their preferred measure.   In fact, Dr Rob has said he'd rather people carried a few extra pounds on the basis that if you are unwell, you lose weight and someone who doesn't have the reserve is more at risk!

My oncologist as well as my surgeon do fully support the valued mr Rhegeds statement. As does, by the way, the average difference in life expectancy between your average marathon runner and the rest of us.

PR19_Kit

And I've never even THOUGHT about running a marathon, and I've got as far as 80.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit