And another one

Started by The Rat, April 13, 2023, 03:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

3 on the go now, increases my chances of getting at least one done.  ;D

You may remember me posting my antique store find last year:

Box by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

The previous owner had taken it to the point where it would normally be ineligible for the build, because the main fuselage halves had been glued together. Then for some reason known only to them, they had been crudely broken apart again, leaving an intact rear half with two front halves that barely survived the process. It may have been because the interior, which consists of one piece seat, floor, rear shelf, panel, and pilot figure, (whoever made that mould is a minor god), had not been installed.

This will be 'wheels up', due to a missing main gear leg, livery yet to be determined.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Here are the two forward sections. Looks like the detail needs more grinding down, but my arthritic wrists are taking a break.

by Dave Bailey, on Flickr
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

NARSES2

I've fond memories of those old Revell boxes, they looked "So American" to us UK kids.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

That surface detail is crazy 🤪.
Man I do remember building birds like that when I was a kid..days I do not miss  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Rivets the size of softballs! And those decal placement outlines! You could just paint in the different colors!
It looks like somebody just tore it apart. You will deserve at least some high level compliments just for bringing this kit back to life. Power on!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Rat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 14, 2023, 11:51:02 AMThat surface detail is crazy 🤪.
Man I do remember building birds like that when I was a kid..days I do not miss  ;D

And that's after sanding it smooth, because I just ran my fingers over it! The flow lines must go about halfway through!

Wardukw

AFTER!!?? Bloody hell mate..I bet if ya sanded the inside you'll find it there to if thats the case  :o
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

killnoizer

Funny , found a B25 last week with the same scary lines. Interesting for some weathered effects I believe  :thumbsup:
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

jcf

Silver plastic is funky, even after you sand off the raised detail the pattern remains, which is good
if you were wanting to scribe in the panel lines etc. 

Note that I refuse to use the word "re-scribe" for the process as, if the panel lines etc. were raised
to begin with, then they were not scribed.
:wacko:

The Rat

Quote from: jcf on April 15, 2023, 12:21:15 AMNote that I refuse to use the word "re-scribe" for the process as, if the panel lines etc. were raised
to begin with, then they were not scribed.
:wacko:

Stop being pedantic, that's MY territory!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Now sit back while I explain the difference between a 'ground rule double' and an 'automatic double'.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Even MLB Gameday screwed that up last night.

jcf

The MLB is beyond the understanding of a mere mortal such as myself.
:o

The Rat

Almost gave up on this. The front and rear sections of the broken fuselage were too bent and smacked around to have any hope of mating easily, even if I had spliced sprue on the inside. So I placed the rear part on the engines, squashed it down to spread it out, applied the Tamiya extra thin, and held it until it set. Then I slid the front portion into place and glued it. There are still gaps, but a few buckets of putty should take care of that.

joint by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on April 18, 2023, 01:07:21 PMThere are still gaps, but a few buckets of putty should take care of that.

That would do well as a Forum motto.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

I'm surprised some of us don't have shares in modelling putting considering how much we us  ;D
Or maybe some of us do 🤔

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 18, 2023, 01:53:00 PMI'm surprised some of us don't have shares in modelling putting considering how much we us  ;D
Or maybe some of us do 🤔

How do you know we don't  ;)  :angel:

Maybe we should have a "Declaration of Interests" statement to sign when people join ? Mind you then we need a "Standards Committee" to chase up all those who don't "fully declare at the time"  :angel:  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.