SU-76c. Finished pics pg 7.

Started by zenrat, April 14, 2023, 04:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Funny thing is the Ukrainians captured so many T-62s they turning them all into ARVs because they don't have enough recovery vehicles.
The 62 is so outdated that even the Ukrainians are just like " Nope to old..ain't fighting with them "  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Or ditch the turret and build something you can fire javelin and tow missiles from.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kerick on April 20, 2023, 07:03:06 PMGotta hand it to the Ukraine troops to put these things back together and try to fight with them.

I guess a second-(or third-)string tank is better than none at all.
If nothing else, it attracts fire away from other targets...  ;)

And the Israelis have proven that the older tanks can be upgraded to a pretty useful level- though they did have the advantages of experience in that sort of thing and the time to sort the designs out and get them implemented.

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 20, 2023, 08:51:02 PMFunny thing is the Ukrainians captured so many T-62s they turning them all into ARVs because they don't have enough recovery vehicles.

Yeah; Vlod and his Tractor can't be everywhere...  ;D

Wardukw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on April 20, 2023, 10:22:28 PM
Quote from: kerick on April 20, 2023, 07:03:06 PMGotta hand it to the Ukraine troops to put these things back together and try to fight with them.

I guess a second-(or third-)string tank is better than none at all.
If nothing else, it attracts fire away from other targets...  ;)

And the Israelis have proven that the older tanks can be upgraded to a pretty useful level- though they did have the advantages of experience in that sort of thing and the time to sort the designs out and get them implemented.

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 20, 2023, 08:51:02 PMFunny thing is the Ukrainians captured so many T-62s they turning them all into ARVs because they don't have enough recovery vehicles.

Yeah; Vlod and his Tractor can't be everywhere...  ;D

Well when a country opposite yours keeps giving you dozens of free tanks without them intending to you may as well make use of them ..it would be rude not to . ;)
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Wardukw

;D  ;D
Scarey when ya think just how ture that is  :lol:

kerick

There's a good conversion project in that!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on April 21, 2023, 10:40:10 AM

Good point ..it would probably be a rather simple one as im guessing these would be more like tow trucks than full on ARVs .
A purpose built ARV is a rather complicated machine.

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 21, 2023, 01:07:16 PM

Good point ..it would probably be a rather simple one as im guessing these would be more like tow trucks than full on ARVs .

Maybe some storage boxes for tools and parts. A big fat winch might be useful. Probably regional or even local production so made out of whatever is handy. Each one different.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on April 21, 2023, 04:24:04 PM

Maybe some storage boxes for tools and parts. A big fat winch might be useful. Probably regional or even local production so made out of whatever is handy. Each one different.
If they build em for just recovering broken down machines then yeah some storage boxes and extra tow cables .
Mounting a winch us a whole different kettle of fish..it's a ton of installing a winch ..hydraulic systems have to be installed..winch controls..cable guides..strengthening the tanks hull plus a blade mounted to the front to work as a anchor when winching .

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 21, 2023, 04:31:20 PM

If they build em for just recovering broken down machines then yeah some storage boxes and extra tow cables .
Mounting a winch us a whole different kettle of fish..it's a ton of installing a winch ..hydraulic systems have to be installed..winch controls..cable guides..strengthening the tanks hull plus a blade mounted to the front to work as a anchor when winching .

Just thinking of when they might have to recover a vehicle stuck in mud when the tank itself can't pull it out. Could be Russian or one of their own. Of course, you have a point thinking of old Russian built tanks the hull might just pull apart.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on April 21, 2023, 08:46:18 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 21, 2023, 04:31:20 PM

Just thinking of when they might have to recover a vehicle stuck in mud when the tank itself can't pull it out. Could be Russian or one of their own. Of course, you have a point thinking of old Russian built tanks the hull might just pull apart.
No thinking really mate ..Indian armed forces used T-55s and T-72s and were constantly having to reweld parts on the hulls ..inside and out..they'd get cracks near where the suspension arms are mounted ...so yeah I could see them having problems with a T-62 mounting a winch with a 80+ton pulling capacity.

zenrat

Scratchbuilding on this today.  Cutting some odd shaped pieces to fill the remaining gaps between the resin casement and the hull.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

This is coming along.  The conversion set included PE strips to cover the seam between the new casement and the hull.  I have added these and put primer over the top.
Gun mount and gun is glued on.  If no more PSR is required then on with the fiddly detaily bits and wheels and tracks and so on and so forth.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est