What is the right place to sell my unmade model kits?

Started by Paper Kosmonaut, April 14, 2023, 05:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paper Kosmonaut

I still have a couple of plastic model kits in my stash that I think I will never build. They come from the time I still did an occasional plastic model now and then. Nowadays I have 100% transitioned to paper models so I don't need them any more and they take a lot of space.
What is the best place to sell them? Ebay? Or the Dutch version of Marketplace?
After some investigating I found out some of the  models are quite valuable.
These are the ones I want to sell:
Revell History Makers 1982 Gemini 1/24 + New Ware after market set
Monogram 1/72 Shuttle stack
Hobby Model 1/32 X-15A2
MRS 1/12 Atomic City Mercury capsule
ESCI 1/72 R4D-5 South Pole Pioneer
The rest (4 or 5 small boxes) are not really valuable.
I don't know whether the prizes people on Ebay ask for these models (especially the shuttle stack which goes for $300) are realistic.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
dei t dut mout t waiten!

Joe C-P

Might you have a local IPMS or other such group?  I finally joined my local a couple months ago, and people bring kits to sell or trade.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

kerick

Kit collectors on eBay drive up some kits to silly prices. If you are selling them you might as well get as much as you can out of them. It will help finance your current endeavors. Of course if you feel like you want to give others a chance to build them an IPMS club can help you out. I bought a tank kit at the last meeting of my club for $15.00 USD. Nice bargain.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

frank2056

I have the same question. I don't have an IPMS or similar club near me. How safe is selling a small collection on ebay? Or Etsy?

NARSES2

Quote from: frank2056 on April 14, 2023, 02:10:15 PMI have the same question. I don't have an IPMS or similar club near me. How safe is selling a small collection on ebay? Or Etsy?

I sold a fair few kits I was never going to get around to building on EBay a few years ago and I had no problems at all with it. I was even pleasantly surprised at how much I got for one or two of them.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

1) check carefully your kits for missing or damaged parts, and specify so in he ads.
2) photograph the kit parts and the box. If a collectable kit, photograph all box sides and specify conditions.
3) check postal rates, and write them in your ads. Usually buying the shipping labels directly through ebay is cheaper (at least it's so in France and Italy)
4) select which country you are sending to. you can do it country by country for all the world in "my ebay" and also in the single ads. AND block bidders from countries you not sending to. Avoids some hassle.
5) pack carefully what you sell,and always get a proof of posting.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Yup, parcel tracking is highly recommended, even if it makes postage cheaper. But it signals buyers that you care for their purchase (esp. when you have collector items on sale), and in case of any later dispute it improves your position as seller/sender and might ease investigations.

McColm

Facebook Market Place is another option or on this forum.

Hobbes

For anything possibly valuable or specialized like space models, use eBay. Marktplaats is fine for general models but the space modelling scene in the Netherlands isn't large enough to find buyers here.

zenrat

Quote from: loupgarou on April 15, 2023, 12:35:13 AM1) check carefully your kits for missing or damaged parts, and specify so in he ads.
2) photograph the kit parts and the box. If a collectable kit, photograph all box sides and specify conditions.
3) check postal rates, and write them in your ads. Usually buying the shipping labels directly through ebay is cheaper (at least it's so in France and Italy)
4) select which country you are sending to. you can do it country by country for all the world in "my ebay" and also in the single ads. AND block bidders from countries you not sending to. Avoids some hassle.
5) pack carefully what you sell,and always get a proof of posting.

Take the item to the post office, discuss packaging and options and ask them how much it will cost to post.  They should happily give you advice and a quote.  When people do this  (in Australia anyway) I can usually get them a better price than e-bays rates.
Open the box and add padding to stop the sprues bouncing around inside.
Always make the buyer pay for tracked postage.
Never post it until you have seen that you have their money.  Don't trust a notification e-mail allegedly from pay-pal (or whoever), log in and have a look.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

frank2056

Thanks guys, those are all good solutions. If I limit sales to US only and shipping to the Paypal address should add some protection. Good print about checking that you've been paid through the ebay account.

Paper Kosmonaut

Thanks for all the good advice! So Ebay it will be.
@Hobbes: Never knew the space model market was that small in the Netherlands. I absolutely take you on your word for it.
It might be interesting to see how quick the kits will sell. Or not.

Thanks again, everyone.
dei t dut mout t waiten!

loupgarou

Quote from: Paper Kosmonaut on April 18, 2023, 10:10:16 PMThanks for all the good advice! So Ebay it will be.
@Hobbes: Never knew the space model market was that small in the Netherlands. I absolutely take you on your word for it.
It might be interesting to see how quick the kits will sell. Or not.

Thanks again, everyone.

In Europe, for model kits, I prefer to put them on german ebay, unless it's some very country-specific item. I think that from most european countries buyers tend to check on ebayDe, where the market is bigger, more than on other national ebays. Keep in mind that not all the items posted  on, say, dutch or italian ebay, will appear elsewhere. Ebay is more and more a mess....
And I limit my sales to EU only. No hassle with customs froms etc.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

I had a look what monogram 1/72 Space Shuttle stacks are going for.  Hoooweee!
Kit collectors I guess.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..