This complicates things...

Started by frank2056, April 16, 2023, 02:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

I posted this on BTS a while ago, but forgot to post it here.

I saw this funny cartoon in the BTS humor section. The name of the artist and his website had been cropped out, but I did a reverse image search and found it:

"Excavation Surprise" by Ryan Mason

It's a great visual joke and I immediately thought of ways of building the scene. At first, I thought of making it in 1/35, but that would have made for a pretty large diorama. I remembered that I had the Hasegawa 1/72 Aircraft Weapons Loading Set so I started the rather crappy tractor. I modified it with a scratchbuilt dozer blade and some questionable mechanics for the blade mechanism, but close enough:

Some more mods later (moving the headlights, for instance):

The saucer is one of the bulkheads from a Monogram 1/48 B-29. I vacuformed a copy and flipped it upside down for the bottom half. I don't remember where the bubble canopy came from, but it's getting replaced as well - it's just here to get an idea for the layout.

The two figures are from another Hasegawa set, suitably modified. The T. Rex came from a skeleton scan by the Smithsonian, which I scaled it to roughly 1/72. I did a test print on my filament printer, but the final version is in resin. I had issues with my lab space being too cold for the resin printer, but I managed to warm up the printing area and got some good T. Rexes. The base is several sheets of styrofoam glued together.

I cut the styrofoam to allow the skeleton and saucer to fit. The weathering on the tractor is mostly pigments - I fixed it before plopping the tractor down on the diorama.

This is the diorama almost completed. The groundwork is mostly acrylic spackle over styrofoam. The T.Rex and saucer were blended in with yet more spackle, then painted. I added some rocks, clean kitty litter (which was rock sized in 1/72) and some sand from the Kelso Sand Dunes. All the groundwork is held in place by either the spackle, paint or diluted white glue.The groundwork has an overspray of clear satin mixed in with some dust color.

Closeup of the T.Rex, saucer and alien.

With the original artwork:

I printed a nameplate and called it done:

I mailed it off to Ryan (the artist) as a gift and it got there in one piece.

PR19_Kit

Hehehehehehe I LOVE it!  :wub:  :bow:  :drink:  :cheers:  :party:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

You really made this work! Well done!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

NARSES2

That seriously tickled my funny bone  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Oh excellent - I love that!  :wub:  :thumbsup:

Do you mind if I post it on Twitter?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

su27rules

Excellent, I love it!!   :thumbsup:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :thumbsup:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :wub:

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Vulcan7

Genius buid  :tornado:  :party:  :dalek:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Glenn Gilbertson

frank2056

Thanks guys! It was fun to build - part of the challenge was to make a realistic version of the artwork, but not too realistic. The hardest part was the T-rex. I scaled it down (including tiny, tiny bones) added printer supports and printed it. That's when i realized that half of the very delicate skeleton as buried within the supports. Luckily I only needed a hit of T.Rex.

@Weaver- go ahead and post it on Twitter - I don't think Ryan is there, so please add a link to his page as well.

Weaver

Quote from: frank2056 on April 17, 2023, 02:34:56 PM@Weaver- go ahead and post it on Twitter - I don't think Ryan is there, so please add a link to his page as well.

'Tis done. Here's the link to the tweet: https://twitter.com/hws5mp/status/1648171362437984257?s=20
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones