The F-35 we should have had...

Started by Devilfish, April 23, 2023, 10:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

When the HMS Queen Elizabeth went in for a refit in 2030, it was decided to replace the ski jump with electro-magnetic catapults, due to unserviceability issues with the F-35B and an issue with the lift fan drive.  The Royal Navy opted to buy its own aircraft, this time going for the conventional F-35C.
As they were in the business of "showing the flag" a more traditional colour scheme was opted for, as recent breakthoughs in paint technology had allowed the USN to do the same.

Kit is the absolutely awful Kittyhawk F-35C fitted with StormShadow missiles (anti-shipping variety)

2023-04-23_07-36-21 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
2023-04-23_07-35-54 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20230423_190213 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20230423_190208 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20230423_190229 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20230423_190724 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20230423_190735 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Pellson

I can honestly say that I am very, very ambivalent to the stealth generation of fighters. That said, this one is absolutely great! Magnificent scheme!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

Great build,  I thought that you were going to say the Yak-41/141.

Wardukw

For a terrible model you made a epic  one  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Attractive! Now a grey/green one for the RAF.  ;D

Devilfish

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 23, 2023, 11:40:21 PMAttractive! Now a grey/green one for the RAF.  ;D

A mate of mine said about doing the new Airfix one camo....Don't think he will though, so I might have to

Hobbes

EDSG over white looks good on anything  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Quote from: Hobbes on April 24, 2023, 02:20:26 AMEDSG over white looks good on anything  :thumbsup:

That almost sounds like a challenge  :wacko:

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

DogfighterZen

I like that!  :thumbsup:
Can you share what were the main issues you had with the build? I have one of those to build at some point in the future... :-\
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Devilfish

Quote from: DogfighterZen on April 24, 2023, 02:48:07 AMI like that!  :thumbsup:
Can you share what were the main issues you had with the build? I have one of those to build at some point in the future... :-\

I think the worst thing is the lack of locating pins. Well, there are some, but they are very small and weak.  The fuselage on all of the KH F-35s I've done doesn't join at the front end without a lot of pressure .  Worst part about this is that it shares sprues with the F-35B, and they aren't well marked (in fact I had to identify most parts visually. rather than by part no) So, in my case I used the wrong undercarriage bays....
It's generally a lack of forethought a lot of the time.  There were no holes to locate the joystick and throttle.  The pilot will not fit, no matter how hard you try!
All I can suggest is trial fit over and over, and double check parts.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Devilfish on April 24, 2023, 03:02:13 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on April 24, 2023, 02:48:07 AMI like that!  :thumbsup:

I think the worst thing is the lack of locating pins. Well, there are some, but they are very small and weak.  The fuselage on all of the KH F-35s I've done doesn't join at the front end without a lot of pressure .  Worst part about this is that it shares sprues with the F-35B, and they aren't well marked (in fact I had to identify most parts visually. rather than by part no) So, in my case I used the wrong undercarriage bays....
It's generally a lack of forethought a lot of the time.  There were no holes to locate the joystick and throttle.  The pilot will not fit, no matter how hard you try!
All I can suggest is trial fit over and over, and double check parts.

Thanks, Paul.  :thumbsup:
I think that to me, the worst of the issues you've mentioned is probably the pilot not fitting. I try to use pilot figures in all my models... :banghead:
The front end may end up not being a problem because that's one of the areas that i wanna modify.
Regarding the part numbers, i agree. I'll make a note and put in the box as a reminder. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Weaver

Nice one!  :thumbsup:

Although now I may have to build one of my X-32s as the F-35 we really REALLY should have had... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on April 24, 2023, 03:27:31 AMAlthough now I may have to build one of my X-32s as the F-35 we really REALLY should have had... ;)

Perish the very thought!  :banghead:

A leading candidate for 'The World's Ugliest Aeroplane' title to my mind.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 24, 2023, 03:49:17 AM
Quote from: Weaver on April 24, 2023, 03:27:31 AMAlthough now I may have to build one of my X-32s as the F-35 we really REALLY should have had... ;)

Perish the very thought!  :banghead:

A leading candidate for 'The World's Ugliest Aeroplane' title to my mind.

Aw c'mon, how could you hate an aircraft that greats you with a smile like this every morning!

It's like a big daft enthusiastic dog!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Well maybe, but the rest of it?

YEUK! :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit