M70A2 Krueger MBT, Gulf War, 1991

Started by Jakko, April 25, 2023, 02:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Very very nice matey 👍 👌 😊
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

That is very good! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Attention to detail is almost over the top - but not quite. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

That's going to really turn some heads at a show if you're into that. It looks so completely real! Well done!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Jakko

Thanks :) It would be nice taking this to a show with people who know their tanks, but that's unlikely to happen :(
... I know all this and more ...

buzzbomb

Dizzyfugu

This looking very good! Worth the attempt to smuggle it into a "normal" model exhibition.  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Quote from: Jakko on May 19, 2023, 02:24:39 AMThanks :) It would be nice taking this to a show with people who know their tanks, but that's unlikely to happen :(

I don't know, there are innumerable universal-multi-disciplinary experts around. I'm sure if you took it to a show at least one person will swear to having seen them operational in Kuwait or Iraq. :wacko:

Steel Penguin

" see that, i was a commander in one of thouse i was,  but i cant tell you more, its all hush, hush"  :banghead:  :banghead:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Jakko

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 20, 2023, 03:16:35 AMWorth the attempt to smuggle it into a "normal" model exhibition.  :thumbsup:
Definitely, but even getting to most model exhibitions, let alone doing so with models, is difficult for me due to a combination of a dependance on public transport on my part coupled to model exhibitions in this country generally being organised far away from good public transport links :(

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 20, 2023, 08:15:31 AMI'm sure if you took it to a show at least one person will swear to having seen them operational in Kuwait or Iraq. :wacko:
Almost certainly :) It would be worth it just for that.

The crew was painted in OD uniforms:

You cannot view this attachment.

No point in painting the lower legs of the commander and driver, they'll be out of sight anyway.

I also selected stuff to stow on the tank and painted it:

Most of this is Tamiya, from accessory sets and a few AFV kits, but there is also some Academy in there as well as AFV Club .50 calibre ammo boxes and an Italeri Leopard 2 wheel. This because the Leopard 2 has the same diameter wheels as the KPz 70, even if they're not exactly the same; I had to drill ten holes instead of the Leopard 2's eight for that reason too. The jack is a part from a Second World War German vehicle kit, but these really are industry-standard jacks that turn up everywhere, are there are some photos of M1A1s in the Gulf War that have a sand-painted one in the bustle rack.

A quick photo for my own reference, really, so I could remember where it all was supposed to go:

Then it just remained to glue it all in place:

As you can see, a lot of it isn't where I had decided to put it at first :)

As well as make up some straps for the ALICE packs hanging from the side stowage rack bars:

These are some bits cut from the metal of an empty tube of superglue, in the right shape for ALICE pack straps (owning real ones helped a lot there too :)) that only needed to be painted OD afterward:

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

This looks so well done and realistic I'm sure many people in many places would be fooled.
It always bugs me that anything "soft" like camo net bundles and ALICE packs at molded with detail all the way around. Makes difficult to apply it to "hard" objects like a tank or truck bed. Lots of carving even in the best kits.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on May 22, 2023, 02:04:46 PMIt always bugs me that anything "soft" like camo net bundles and ALICE packs at molded with detail all the way around. Makes difficult to apply it to "hard" objects like a tank or truck bed. Lots of carving even in the best kits.

At the same time it means that it may be able to be fitted in to different positions; so a camo net or tarp, for example, which may usually sit draped over something thusly " Ո ", may be able to sit dropped into something thisly " U ".

I find I have more issues having to create detail on flat "underside" surfaces that I do having to remove detail.

kerick

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 22, 2023, 06:32:15 PM
Quote from: kerick on May 22, 2023, 02:04:46 PMIt always bugs me that anything "soft" like camo net bundles and ALICE packs at molded with detail all the way around. Makes difficult to apply it to "hard" objects like a tank or truck bed. Lots of carving even in the best kits.

At the same time it means that it may be able to be fitted in to different positions; so a camo net or tarp, for example, which may usually sit draped over something thusly " Ո ", may be able to sit dropped into something thisly " U ".

I find I have more issues having to create detail on flat "underside" surfaces that I do having to remove detail.

True. I just cringe when I have to cram a pilot figure with a soft butt into a seat that has a soft cushion when they are both made of hard plastic. It just doesn't sit well with me..........

;D
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Jakko

Quote from: kerick on May 22, 2023, 02:04:46 PMThis looks so well done and realistic I'm sure many people in many places would be fooled.
I hope so ... :)

IMHO, the trick is to pick items that fit reasonably well :) What I've also seen (in articles in magazines) is to sculpt some of the stowage yourself from epoxy putty, but use plastic or resin "standard" parts on top of that — so you can make them sit as you want without looking unrealistic. But I don't like epoxy putty and my sculpting skills are not great.