M70A2 Krueger MBT, Gulf War, 1991

Started by Jakko, April 25, 2023, 02:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

One of my favourite tricks to use up various "not good" equipment is to put them into stowage bins & drape a canvas tarpaulin over them.

When doing this I often use random bits of scrap styrene/resin, too, to add shapes under the tarp. My preferred tarpaulin material is Aves Apoxy Sculpt rolled thin (that is the trickiest bit but any minor issues can be fixed easily enough), cut a rectangle to size & drop over the bin, then push it down gently with a damp sponge &/or firm(ish) brush; at this stage you can create wrinkles & folds which make it look more realistic. You can, also, fold it back on itself & make hem lines by running a spatula just in from the edge.

Tissue & "lead" foil are other alternatives but I find the way that Apoxy Sculpt can be made to flow over the shapes is a touch more realistic.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Oldpanzer1

Great work! The figures and kit look amazing!

Jakko

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 23, 2023, 08:26:36 AMOne of my favourite tricks to use up various "not good" equipment is to put them into stowage bins & drape a canvas tarpaulin over them.
That works too, though for anything that will be completely out of sight, I would consider it a bit of a waste — bits of styrofoam or balsa carved to shape would do just as well then :)
... I know all this and more ...

Old Wombat

Ah, yes, but I usually have parts of those pieces exposed &, as I said, bits of left over styrene & resin to bulk up the unseen bits. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 23, 2023, 08:26:36 AMTissue & "lead" foil are other alternatives but I find the way that Apoxy Sculpt can be made to flow over the shapes is a touch more realistic.

Parafilm M works well.  You can stretch it as thin as you like and if you want it thicker than it comes, you can fold it up and squeeze out the creases.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Jakko

I was wondering about that too ... A quick search turns up that it's some kind of stretching, laboratory tape that some people apparently use for masking models with.

Jakko

It just occurred to me that I forgot to post the photos of the completed model ... So here they are:

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.     

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Jakko on May 26, 2023, 01:32:07 AMI was wondering about that too ... A quick search turns up that it's some kind of stretching, laboratory tape that some people apparently use for masking models with.

They do, but it takes a bit of practice
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: Wardukw on May 25, 2023, 08:41:15 PM
Quote from: kerick on May 25, 2023, 08:21:55 PMNever thought of parafilm!
What the hell is paraflim???

Quote from: Jakko on May 26, 2023, 01:32:07 AMI was wondering about that too ... A quick search turns up that it's some kind of stretching, laboratory tape that some people apparently use for masking models with.

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 26, 2023, 05:43:38 AMThey do, but it takes a bit of practice

Yep, you can get it relatively cheaply from eBay, a small 5m roll will last ages.  I've used it in several labs, it's like stretchy cling film that doesn't stick to itself with the slightest draft and it's solvent resistant. 

I've got some stuff that I, ahem, liberated.  It's a bit old and snaps a bit easier than when new, but otherwise still good.  Chris is right, it takes a little practice but is worth getting to know it's idiosyncrasies.  I used it as a windscreen tarp on a RAF Gulf War Corsair, took two attempts but looks good.

Jakko

Quote from: Wardukw on May 26, 2023, 01:55:45 AMGreat build matey 👍  ;D
Quote from: zenrat on May 26, 2023, 06:46:06 AMVery good.

:thumbsup:
Quote from: Mossie on May 26, 2023, 09:42:54 AMOh, that's excellent.  :thumbsup:  :wub:  :thumbsup:
Thanks :) I enjoyed building it — well, for the most part :) — and I'm happy with the way it came out in the end.