Ryan F-98 point defence fighter

Started by PR19_Kit, April 26, 2023, 07:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Nice work, there, Kit! :thumbsup:

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 03, 2023, 06:05:45 AMI didn't realise the launcher was quite as big, or the F-98 quite so small

Would you be thinking that if you were the one strapped into the cockpit waiting to be fired into the air? ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 30, 2023, 04:05:16 AMThe original X-13's engine was a RR Avon as the Americans hadn't got a light enough engine that produced the same amount of thrust. I see no reason why the F98 wouldn't carry on using an Avon so the added grunt from the two 'winders would have the same effect as on an RAAF Avon Sabre I guess.

Exit rapidly stage left!  :o
Sidewinders? Surely it'd have AIM-4s.  ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: jcf on May 03, 2023, 09:49:05 AMSidewinders? Surely it'd have AIM-4s.  ;)

The 95th knew the AIM-4 was a load of rubbish already, and the F-98 only had a radar ranging gunsight, not a radar pokey enough to guide a Falcon. The 'winder was already in service by then with the USN, so it was a more  logical choice.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Epic stuff Kit ...absolutely epic stuff 👍  ;D  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 03, 2023, 06:24:29 AMNice work, there, Kit! :thumbsup:

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 03, 2023, 06:05:45 AMI didn't realise the launcher was quite as big, or the F-98 quite so small

Would you be thinking that if you were the one strapped into the cockpit waiting to be fired into the air? ;)

No chance. Ask the UK lads just how thick my specs are.  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 03, 2023, 10:34:22 AM
Quote from: jcf on May 03, 2023, 09:49:05 AMSidewinders? Surely it'd have AIM-4s.  ;)

The 95th knew the AIM-4 was a load of rubbish already, and the F-98 only had a radar ranging gunsight, not a radar pokey enough to guide a Falcon. The 'winder was already in service by then with the USN, so it was a more  logical choice.
Yes, but F-98s on an F-98 has a certain ring.
;) ;D

Rick Lowe

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

I must salute those guys that were standing inside the little director's cab directing the Vertijet onto the raised landing platform.  Nothing like a turbojet delicately balanced on a pillar of thrust and flame heading right toward you for hook-up. 

Nicely done. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Hm, yes. I really ought to put a bloke in there, shouldn't I? Otherwise people don't know what it's for. :(

Regards
Kit

frank2056

The F-98 came out great! Ready to intercept Tu-95s or UFOs

jcf

Give the figure a sky-pilot's collar, they're already standing in a pulpit.

;) :wacko: