Ryan F-98 point defence fighter

Started by PR19_Kit, April 26, 2023, 07:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

WTF happened here with all these "posted for" previous post stuff, which I remember reading? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I had them moved out of the B-54B thread and into separate builds as the B-54B won't be finished in the 50s GB time frame.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

This model will be henceforth known as the F-98, as it will have guns and missiles.

Yes, I KNOW the RW F-98 was the Hughes Falcon missile but it was re-designated and my backstory says the operational X-13s were then re-designated into F-98s,
OK?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Yup, it's not much bigger than some missiles anyway  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

This is gonna be so funny and cool at the exact same time  ;D  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Interested. Not sure I have ever seen one of these built

sandiego89

Ahh, with all that posted on behalf stuff, I had thought Kit had got caught up in an alternate time/reality loop, one in which everything looks better with shorter wings, everyone asks for a reduction in GB build times as they are done early, and Mach 2 Kits are thin and crisp.....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

This could make an interesting UAV. Just close up that canopy and hang it under a wing.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

The canopy's on now, and it's masked up and had its first coat of primer. Amazingly there's very little PSR needed and the panel lines on that 'big' wing are very nice
indeed. 'Big' only in comparison with the rest of the airframe....

It may get a first colour coat later today with luck.

The backstory's almost written (in my head anyway...) and I've got the required decals all drawn up and waiting to be printed.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Note the change in the thread title, influenced by the forthcoming backstory.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

It's looking surprisingly good (due to the fact that it's a Mach 2 kit).

The Wooksta!

A lot of Mach Poo stuff builds well despite the company's well deserved poor reputation.  I rather enjoyed the Valiant, which was an easier build than the Matchbox Victor, and I'm looking at the Junkers Ju 352 for use by Spain.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

The aircraft itself goes together very well, which is more than be said for the 'trailer/launcher'. :(

It's not helped by the usual Mach 2 single sheet 'instructions' which are darn nigh useless in building the trailer and needed lots of study of pics of the real thing before I could figure out what bits went where.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Lots of progress on the F-98 today, it's silver now, and looking not too shabby. I'll do a few different toned panels later on, after a 2nd colour coat.

The launcher/trailer has had its first primer coat applied too, but there's still some bits and pieces to be added before the main colour coat.

You cannot view this attachment.

Oh yes, the small tubular bulge under the wing root, that's the port 20 mm cannon......  ;)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Stumpy little fella. Coming along well for first coat