Super Arleigh Burke class DDG

Started by seadude, May 03, 2023, 06:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Just for the hell of it, I paired my future Arleigh Burke destroyer next to my future USS Wisconsin battleship just to see what they'd be like next to each other.
Pics are slightly blurry. Sorry about that. But otherwise, not too bad I guess. ;)

Rheged

The models are of high quality  (well done)  even if the colour of the anti-fouling paint below the water line is rather flamboyant.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

seadude

Quote from: Rheged on May 28, 2023, 12:38:09 PMThe models are of high quality  (well done)  even if the colour of the anti-fouling paint below the water line is rather flamboyant.

I based the anti-fouling color on a real situation from the early 2000's when the TICONDEROGA class cruiser USS Port Royal was painted with a new experimental blue anti-fouling color. I liked the color in the pictures so much that I wanted to try it out on a few of my own models. The color might not be a perfect match, but I'm not that concerned.

Old Wombat

Well done, mate! :thumbsup:

The dynamic duo look good together, too! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

That's come out really well  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

I saw the battleship at a show and it's fantastic! I'm sure the cruiser is just as good.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

seadude

Quote from: kerick on May 29, 2023, 08:09:15 AMI saw the battleship at a show and it's fantastic! I'm sure the cruiser is just as good.

If you're going to the NIMCON model contest in Illinois on June 24th, I might be entering it there.

kerick

Quote from: seadude on June 03, 2023, 11:40:38 AM
Quote from: kerick on May 29, 2023, 08:09:15 AMI saw the battleship at a show and it's fantastic! I'm sure the cruiser is just as good.

If you're going to the NIMCON model contest in Illinois on June 24th, I might be entering it there.

I'll be there!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

seadude

I didn't get a chance to post more finished pictures long ago.
But now I have the time to post more pictures of the finished model. Enjoy.

seadude

And a few more finished model pics.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Quote from: seadude on May 28, 2023, 01:42:32 PM
Quote from: Rheged on May 28, 2023, 12:38:09 PMThe models are of high quality  (well done)  even if the colour of the anti-fouling paint below the water line is rather flamboyant.

I based the anti-fouling color on a real situation from the early 2000's when the TICONDEROGA class cruiser USS Port Royal was painted with a new experimental blue anti-fouling color. I liked the color in the pictures so much that I wanted to try it out on a few of my own models. The color might not be a perfect match, but I'm not that concerned.

Exactly the same thing happened to the Royal Navy a couple of decades earlier. A new anti-fouling paint came out that they were eager to try, but it was only available in 'commercial blue/green/yellow' and the manufacturer wouldn't commit to making 'military red' unless they placed a large order, which wasn't going to happen for a trial. As a result, HMS Exeter got a coat of the blue paint and went to the Falklands like that. We'll draw a veil over the p1ss-taking that resulted from her having a "blue bottom", sailors being such sensitive and delicate souls and all... :wacko:

The trials were successful BTW, and the manufacturer starter making the stuff in an RN colour, which I believe is officially called "dark plum".
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.