Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit (Airfix 1/48)

Started by 2996 Victor, May 07, 2023, 05:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

2996 Victor

Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

2996 Victor

I've spent my modelling time over the last few afternoons basically getting the starboard fuselage and cockpit walls to mirror the port sides. A lot of sanding later.....and the mouldings are exhibiting a fairly high degree of transparency ;D but I wanted the cockpit to retain its "normal" width otherwise the pilot wouldn't be able to have any shoulders or arms, which would have made this version of the PR.XIX even more difficult to fly..... So the objective is to retain the fuselage frames in standard form as far as possible. Ideally I want all of them to stay their original height above their locating tags as if they were normal PR.XIX structures adapted to fit the rearward-cockpit application.

I've managed to do this for the instrument panel frame and the seat frame, the third frame back has been shortened by 1mm below its locating tags to allow for the shallower fuselage. I've done a small amount of re-profiling the outsides of the frames to fit the modified fuse and sidewall parts. The pressure bulkhead at the back will also need shortening to fit, and the front pressure bulkhead is still on its sprue ;D

I also found that I needed to split the upper rear fuselage along a panel line to allow for test-fitting the frames. I'm probably going to lop off those bits and make a replacement from 10 or 15thou' styrene, heat formed to a conical shape (not sure yet what I might use as a former). The 5thou' styrene overlay was a bad move as it interfered with the instrument panel and seat frame, so it was carefully peeled/scraped/sanded off. Sorry for the iffy pic, I must get my proper camera charged up and use that instead of using my rotten old phone camera! Oh, and I drilled out the lightening holes in the frames, too, cos why not ;D

We've got Grandson staying overnight, so that's it for sanity for the next 24 hours :wacko:

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

Wardukw

May sanity have mercy on your soul   :wacko:  :angel:

That's a lot of work so far mate with bugger all to show for it ..a feeling I know so well right now 😊
But none the less it's coming along very nicely 👌 😀

I did think of a saying which describes us lot...
The insanity of what we do keeps us sane ..works in my case  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Keep up the good work! If you have to slightly widen the fuselage we will understand. I don't think Spitfires ever had much shoulder room anyway.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

2996 Victor

Quote from: Wardukw on May 13, 2023, 01:13:58 PMMay sanity have mercy on your soul  :wacko:  :angel:

That's a lot of work so far mate with bugger all to show for it ..a feeling I know so well right now 😊
But none the less it's coming along very nicely 👌 😀

I did think of a saying which describes us lot...
The insanity of what we do keeps us sane ..works in my case  :thumbsup:

Thanks :thumbsup: it was great having the little lad around, but he's quite full-on <_<  and after a lot of vacuuming and tidying, I was able to get a bit of time at the workbench this afternoon.

It's been a very enjoyable conversion so far, I think it'll look okay when it's finally completed!

Quote from: kerick on May 13, 2023, 07:38:35 PMKeep up the good work! If you have to slightly widen the fuselage we will understand. I don't think Spitfires ever had much shoulder room anyway.

Thanks :thumbsup: I'm keeping the fuselage width constant until aft of the rear pressure bulkhead, then taper it in. It'll have to be a fairly sharp taper, which I hope will look okay.....

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

2996 Victor

Quick update on yesterday afternoon's efforts. Some sticking-together occurred, and then I sprayed some rattle-can primer over my hand while managing, miraculously, to get some on the kit parts as well :o Also text fitted the wing panels. Verdict: pretty good but a bit of thinning needed here and there. I also need to fill the armament-related panel lines, shell case chutes etc.

Next job, though, is to create a few bits of upper-cockpit-sidewall detail, and then paint the interior colours.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

Wardukw

2996 Victor

Mark's workbench:

Old Wombat

Red primer!? That's a rarity on aircraft builds. :blink:

Still, each to their own! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

2996 Victor

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 15, 2023, 02:24:15 AMRed primer!? That's a rarity on aircraft builds. :blink:

Still, each to their own! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I always like to be different ;D I would have preferred grey, but the Tamiya red was all my local model shop had. In some ways, it can be easier to spot flaws, though, so it has its uses!

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

2996 Victor

So, an attempt at interior grey-green met with failure. Since returning to the hobby, I've used primarily acrylic paints, but I find increasingly that they dry on the airbrush needle and very quickly I need to flush through and clean up. Maybe I'm using too high a pressure, I don't know - I'm very much a novice airbrusher.

First problem was not much paint, especially after I'd overthinned it to begin with. Second problem was clogged needle. Third problem was some ham-fisted ape bending said needle when trying to clean it.

Once I've got a replacement needle (roll on payday), I think I'll try either going back to enamels (like Sovereign ColourCoats) or using Mr Color.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

Wardukw

Mark I use acrylics 90 percent of the time ..brush and air brush..the pressure isn't your problem..your problem is easily sorted.
You need a paint retarder..tamiyas works bloody well and I can spray in the middle of summer with no problems at all .
Trust me ..once you've got that.. life will be much better.
Just put a small amount into your air brush first and use that to thin your paint and it's almost away ya go..just practice a little bit so you can figure out how much to use and you don't  need much to thin ya paints out.
I use Ammo...Tamiya and Vallejo primarily with the odd Mr Hobby thrown in for good measure 😊

2996 Victor

Quote from: Wardukw on May 18, 2023, 01:54:57 AMMark I use acrylics 90 percent of the time ..brush and air brush..the pressure isn't your problem..your problem is easily sorted.
You need a paint retarder..tamiyas works bloody well and I can spray in the middle of summer with no problems at all .
Trust me ..once you've got that.. life will be much better.
Just put a small amount into your air brush first and use that to thin your paint and it's almost away ya go..just practice a little bit so you can figure out how much to use and you don't  need much to thin ya paints out.
I use Ammo...Tamiya and Vallejo primarily with the odd Mr Hobby thrown in for good measure 😊
Thanks - I'll give it a try! I've been using mostly Vallejo and Hataka, and with my old single-action they worked pretty well. Since that expired and I bought a new dual-action, not so much. But that sounds like good solution to the issue :thumbsup:
Mark's workbench:

Wardukw

I've use both and no issues since using the retarder..works a treat .