DONE @p.3 +++ 1:72 Lockheed FV-2 'Solstice' VTOL fighter; US Navy VX-8, 1956

Started by Dizzyfugu, May 09, 2023, 05:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Fred mate that looks bloody cool man..very nice result 👍
I wish ya a big pile of luck Thomas..seems ya might need it ..I say might cause ..well you've turned dogs dinners in a fine meal before 😄😉
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

More good progress yesterday. More PSR around the fuselage and I added the wings (with PSR, too) and the tail fins. Both had better fit then expected, esp. the fins were quite easy to align a) because I apparently got the right upper and lower pair that matches the tail cone and b) there are fine panel lines that help a lot with their alignment, despite the lack of locator pins. The separate intakes on the cheeks and underneath were also added (again, zero fit, but nevertheless relatively easy to integrate). Plan is to modify the exhaust, which is only a lip with a deflector plate, into two separate and somewhat bigger/longer pipes. Work on the new wing tip pods (with guns, as planned) also made progress..

PSR on the fins' bases next, and then the white metal pods with the wheels will follow, I hope I can get all 4 feet onto the ground simultaneously for a stable stance. But after good experience with the metal parts from the propellers (the white metal is quite rigid) I am enthusiastic. The prop was also been modified/completed. The two prop sections move, while the tip remains fixed, but the parts are so big that they do not spin freely due to the inherent resistance of everything with each other.

I will probably also add a ventral plug for a display holder. Might be quite visible later when the thing stands, but I guess I will not be able to take proper flight pics later without this support. The huge twin disc prop also makes me wonder how I can properly simulate it in "action scenes". Quite a challenge, but I like that.  ;D

Here's a look at the thing:

1:72 Lockheed FV-2 ,Solstice'; 'XH 001' of the United States Navy Air Development Squadron 8 (VX-8); NAS Atlantic City (New Jersey, USA), 1956 (What-if/modified Pegasus kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

For armament, I replace the wing tip tanks/pods (below in the pic) with USN Mk. 4 gub pods from a Hasegawa air-to-ground weapon set. Perfect in size, shape and content!  :mellow:

1:72 Lockheed FV-2 ,Solstice'; 'XH 001' of the United States Navy Air Development Squadron 8 (VX-8); NAS Atlantic City (New Jersey, USA), 1956 (What-if/modified Pegasus kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

Nothing dramatically new - I have mounted the fin tip pods with the wheels, and the fact that the white metal they are made of is quite stiff makes handling them easy. Looks quite robust! Additionally I work on the new twin exhaust. Not a dramatic modification, but its changes the aircraft's profile. Eventually also find the sense behind an odd metal parts, which turns out to be an armor plate that protects the pilot's back of the head.

Behold the modified exhaust section, raw and with some PSR:

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And here's a look at the FV-2 with the gun pods in place - so natural!  :lol:

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Wardukw

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Painting next; at the moment I prepare the exhaust area with metallizer and other stuff, and the cockpit has become green. Decided to keep the canopy closed, due to the upright position on the ground, so that I will also add a pilot figure. Hope to start with the all-over blue tomorrow or already this evening.

Dizzyfugu

The canopy turned out to be a final challenge before painting: it did not fim in three dimensions. Most absurb devaition I found is the fact that the canopy edge on the fuselage somehow "hangs thorugh", but only on the left side... And the head armor is a tad too tall for the thick canopy to fit over it. The result was a visible open seam on the left, which I was able to fill with white glue.
Painting started later than expected, but the all-blue livery is simple to apply (and the XFV looks good with it!) and I even already did some post-panel-shading, plus wee red highlights. The "prop discs" will receive white contrast squares, another small and rather subtle highlight.

Wardukw

Dizzyfugu

Not much new to tell. Painted the props, including the blades, and started gathering decals.

Will add WiP pics to previous posts soon.  :angel:

Dizzyfugu

Decals were applied yesterday, and I added WiP pics to previous posts.

Gondor

How about makeing a push fit cover for the mounting hole? Something like a flatish dome for some undisclosed electronics aerial or something. Just to cover the hole when it's not in use.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Well, the hole might be quite obvious in the WiP pics,, but with some paint inside, on the dark blue surroundings, it's not very visible at all. And the model will mostle be "presented" from "above" or from the side, and i eventual flight scenes the ventral areas can be easily edited. It's not much of a problem.  ;)

PR19_Kit

I like your exhaust arrangement a lot better than the 'trough' on the RW aircraft, makes a lot more sense.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I thought it was bit small, and maybe the residual thrust could be better used?