Decal print disaster, what am I doing wrong?

Started by The Rat, May 10, 2023, 09:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Testors decal paper, Epson inkjet printer. When they first came out they looked fine, so I set them aside to fully dry.

Came back to this unsightly mess.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Ooooer, that looks terrible. :(

I've never used Testor's paper but I do use an Epson printer mostly, and it's never happened to me.

Could the paper have been slightly damp, or got damp maybe? That's just what it looks like.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I print on glossy decal paper and set it on glossy photo paper setting. Works for me.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Rat

Quote from: kerick on May 10, 2023, 12:40:25 PMI print on glossy decal paper and set it on glossy photo paper setting. Works for me.

Exactly what I did. But... looking at the instructions, (maybe I should have read them first?) it says the settings should be "plain paper, normal quality." So now that I'm back home I'll try that.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 10, 2023, 11:48:13 AMCould the paper have been slightly damp, or got damp maybe? That's just what it looks like.

Nope, only thing damp was the ink.

The Rat

Okay, did a second print at the settings suggested in the instructions - no spreading so far. I guess the previous settings dropped too much ink.  :thumbsup:

Spey_Phantom

i think there are a few things that can cause this:

1. is the decal paper intended for inkjet or laserjet printers?
2. did you use photopaper quality settings (recommended)?
3. was it placed on a level surface to dry?
4. was there dust on the paper (decalpaper should be stored in plastic or a dust free envelope).

another tip i can give you is to spray the decalpaper with a fin layer of clear matt coating before using it.

also: my video tutorial on how to make your own decals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPaVORhJLKk
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

The Rat

Quote from: Spey_Phantom on May 10, 2023, 09:14:13 PMi think there are a few things that can cause this:

1. is the decal paper intended for inkjet or laserjet printers?
2. did you use photopaper quality settings (recommended)?
3. was it placed on a level surface to dry?
4. was there dust on the paper (decalpaper should be stored in plastic or a dust free envelope).

another tip i can give you is to spray the decalpaper with a fin layer of clear matt coating before using it.

also: my video tutorial on how to make your own decals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPaVORhJLKk

1. Yes
2. Recommended setting in the instructions is plain paper
3. Yes, top of the printer
4. Fresh out of the plastic bag

I thought about spraying it, might do so on my next try. But the second attempt at the recommended settings is looking ok.

I will certainly have a look. Thanks!

Dizzyfugu

I'd suggest to try a printer setting that uses as little ink as possible - the paper seems to gave a strong inherent capillary action that "sucks" the ink from the printed areas into the dry sections. Had this at home (HP printer, Experts' Choice paper, which comes in clear and white, all matt) with High Quality settings, too, or when I later tried to fix the ink with varnish. I now use "Standard Paper, High Quality" setting, and it works fine, but I guess you will have to make experiments with various settings to see how your individual setup works.

Weaver

If you spray it with clear varnish, tape it to a firm surface first (I use a sheet of aluminium), otherwise there's a chance it'll curl as it dries.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Weaver on May 11, 2023, 12:29:23 AMIf you spray it with clear varnish, tape it to a firm surface first (I use a sheet of aluminium), otherwise there's a chance it'll curl as it dries.

...what IMHO indicates that you used too much varnish or fixative, because it affected the carrying paper under the decal film. From my experience, a thin "hush" with varnish is enough to fixate the ink. You just have to be careful later when you put the decal into water that it stays afloat at the surface, so that the paper soaks wet only from underneath, while the decal film stays above the surface and dry - at least with the decal paper I use. It becomes wet almost instantaneously, and then I place it quickly on the model and slide the decal film over to the surface. Delicate, but the best method I have found out so far.

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 11, 2023, 01:24:38 AM
Quote from: Weaver on May 11, 2023, 12:29:23 AMIf you spray it with clear varnish, tape it to a firm surface first (I use a sheet of aluminium), otherwise there's a chance it'll curl as it dries.

...what IMHO indicates that you used too much varnish or fixative, because it affected the carrying paper under the decal film. From my experience, a thin "hush" with varnish is enough to fixate the ink. You just have to be careful later when you put the decal into water that it stays afloat at the surface, so that the paper soaks wet only from underneath, while the decal film stays above the surface and dry - at least with the decal paper I use. It becomes wet almost instantaneously, and then I place it quickly on the model and slide the decal film over to the surface. Delicate, but the best method I have found out so far.

Have you tried wetting the transfers on a wet sponge or cloth rather than in a bowl/saucer/whatever?
Strikes me that might be a more controllable way to prevent overwetting.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Thank you.  I can come up with one occasionally.   ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Educational.
I was under the impression that in order for a decal to work, it cannot have any capillary connection to the carrier paper at all, as then it won't leave the paper. And also that the decal itself, whereas only ink or ink plus varnish (or even varnish-ink-varnish) normally isn't water permeable at all.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!