The Wooksta's High Flying Birds - Blue Moon Rising

Started by The Wooksta!, May 11, 2023, 11:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I mentioned in my Non Spitfire Blog that I was mucking about with Planet's Me 209H. 

TBH, it's not a kit I have much time for. Nice enough Czech casting, I'm just dubious as to the shape of the blasted thing. It doesn't match any of the drawings I have and it just looks...well, odd.  Anyway, I paid twenty odd notes for it in 1996, it's in the stash to build and I'm working on the 109 family. An ideal opportunity to get shot by building it.

One of several gripes is the cockpit, or the lack of. Given it dates from 1996, there were many resin upgrades for Bf 109s at that point, so wtf did Planet think that a basic floor, stick, blank shape for an instrument panel and a BFO throne for the pilot were acceptable? And especially at the high price tag asked for? Hashtag not as good as they seem to think they are aka overrated expensive tosspots.

Anyway, I spent some of last night with some plastic card and the 109 spares box and this is how it's coming out so far.

You cannot view this attachment.

The last one is just a dry fit as I've yet to add any paint.  It just looks...well, odd.  The Me 209V-5 and V-6 look like this:

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Anyway, at some point by the end of the year, this will be done. Low demarcation dark green over that nice chocolate brown that Messerschmitt was wont to use.   And raf markings for a machine captured at Leck. Tempted with an ISS RVD band.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

I can't get over how thick that fuselage looks compared to your new cockpit Lee ...it looks like it's 2mm thick.
Builds coming along nice tho mate 👍
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Wooksta!

The casting is quite thick and the forward cowling is quite boxy bit not wide enough to take a DB603. It's not one of Planet's best efforts, that's for sure.

My tarting up efforts aren't quite competition standards, but 100% better than what was there previously.

Now with a first colour on, there's a few bits I need to pick out in others colours, add some tape belts and close it up.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

Huma. It's okay but has a split wing ie not a single piece lower.  There are several Bin ones on eBay for under £20. 

I've a Czech resin one that is much better, but I've only seen one in 25 years.  I'll post a pic later if I remember.

The other, resin one is by Toad Resins. Long gone but AFAIK the masters still exist, I'm just not sure who currently holds them.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

"Welcome indeed to the Man with the Stick!"

Not far off closing up now. The paintwork is done and the lap straps are in. I need to do some fettling furthe up so the main ones will go in later.

And this is the other Me 209 kit.

This is the only one I've ever seen and bought from a European trader at Telford in 1998.

There were other resin 209A kits, done in ye olde CMK style but I only saw one and that was around the same time.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: