1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)

Started by Old Wombat, May 22, 2023, 01:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

I know they takin the chassis of the MLRS and turned it into command vehicles and I think supply vehicles too.
The MLRS uses the same mechanicals as the Bradley so your idea is a good one..another version for command and supply 😉
Been thinking of ideas for my Meng Bradley and one thought is a Bradley MLRS ..kinda like the russian BM-21 deal.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

I got the idea from when I read the book Thunder Run. Several chapters tell of the run into Baghdad and how the unarmored supply vehicles were getting beat up on the way. So I thought what if older Bradleys were cleaned out and had maybe a taller rear section added to keep up with the AFVs. And that's as far as I've gotten.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

I see where your going ..a M2 or 3 Bradley delivery van ..with a turret or something like a CROWS turret .
I'd got with a CROWS turret..gives ya a lot more space 😉
That would be a good conversion and a very good one..i like this idea and I can see it in my head already 😀
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Maybe the CROWS or in Ukraine service with Russian parts for the TC.
Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on June 22, 2023, 01:48:07 PMMaybe the CROWS or in Ukraine service with Russian parts for the TC.
Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Isn't that typical of us lot...one person's great idea..Guy's Merkava in this case..leads to other people's great ideas...Ken's Bradley  ;D
One person's mind feeds another person's .:thumbsup:

Old Wombat

As it should! ;)

Keep chatting, chaps, it's going to be a few days, minimum, before I get back to this.  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

It's just that the sides of a Bradley would be great for that digi cam. M-113 even better!
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on June 22, 2023, 07:48:55 PMIt's just that the sides of a Bradley would be great for that digi cam. M-113 even better!
Don't get me tempted matey   ;)  ;D

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw on June 22, 2023, 07:59:08 PM
Quote from: kerick on June 22, 2023, 07:48:55 PMIt's just that the sides of a Bradley would be great for that digi cam. M-113 even better!
Why not? hehehe!
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on June 22, 2023, 09:02:27 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on June 22, 2023, 07:59:08 PM
Why not? hehehe!
If I build that MLRS Bradley digi cam would be a nightmare to paint but if I built the missile tubes into a box type structure like a proper MLRS it might not be so  bad ...damn it Ken ya got me really thinking now ya bugga  :angry:  :wacko:

Jakko

Quote from: Wardukw on June 22, 2023, 01:27:06 PMI see where your going ..a M2 or 3 Bradley delivery van ..
The Dutch Army had YPR 765s for exactly this purpose. They had an empty rear area, the normal commander's hatch plated over (and the commander moved to what was the gunner's position on other YPRs) and a folding screen inside to protect the crew from sliding cargo. No reason a similar Bradley couldn't be made as well, I would think. Move the commander over to behind the driver, with a new cupola in the roof there, and plate over the turret opening, maybe with a big cargo hatch?
... I know all this and more ...

zenrat

You are all thinking too small.
What you want to do is combine an Abrams hull with the container handling gear from a HEMTT (or even two) and then slap a heap of ERA all over the outside of the container.
 ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 19, 2023, 02:23:04 AMThis has already been mentioned (previous page & top of this page) but with less discussion of the topic than over on BtS, however, the talk is still regarding Merkava 2s & 3s, not 4s, going to an unnamed European country.

That country could be any of a number that have supported Ukraine, or others which haven't, or even Ukraine itself.

However, I'd be less inclined to think it's Ukraine because Israel has gone out of its way not to antagonise Russia, at the moment, because of its close ties with the current ruling regime in Syria.

Still, from my perspective, no matter which way it goes, a Ukrainian Merkava IV is still a whif! :thumbsup:

I suspect the country getting Merkava will be Cyprus. They can then send their Russian supplied T-80s and BREM-80 to Ukraine.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Nick on June 23, 2023, 04:22:54 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on June 19, 2023, 02:23:04 AMThis has already been mentioned (previous page & top of this page) but with less discussion of the topic than over on BtS, however, the talk is still regarding Merkava 2s & 3s, not 4s, going to an unnamed European country.

That country could be any of a number that have supported Ukraine, or others which haven't, or even Ukraine itself.

However, I'd be less inclined to think it's Ukraine because Israel has gone out of its way not to antagonise Russia, at the moment, because of its close ties with the current ruling regime in Syria.

Still, from my perspective, no matter which way it goes, a Ukrainian Merkava IV is still a whif! :thumbsup:

I suspect the country getting Merkava will be Cyprus. They can then send their Russian supplied T-80s and BREM-80 to Ukraine.

That's how it's looking, yep. ;)

Old Wombat

It was a pic of real Ukrainian Bradleys wearing digi-cam that formed where I was going with the Merk's digi-cam. (See the quoted post below.)

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 02, 2023, 08:19:44 AMOne of the gent's over on BtS posted this;

Quote from: Ramba on June 02, 2023, 04:41:09 AMUkraine is using different greens other than that dark green. Here is an M2A2 in a new digital camo with different greens.

My reply;

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 02, 2023, 07:52:17 AMThe Bradleys seem to have a 3-colour scheme (two greens & a sand - possibly a Spring scheme?), which seems to be the norm for Ukrainian vehicles.

The PL82 looks fairly close to the dark green on the Bradleys but I also have a similar light green, a red-brown & a vaguely similar sand colour for the digital colours.

I may stick with the most common 3-colour scheme that I've seen for the Merkava (dark green/brown/sand - Autumn?), or I may go 4 colours (dark green/light green/brown/sand), plus a partial over-wash of white (Yes, it'll be a Winter scheme).

PS: Nice photo, by the way, it may influence the final scheme quite a bit. :smiley: