1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)

Started by Old Wombat, May 22, 2023, 01:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

;D  ;D  ;D
Can't wait..can't wait  :wacko: 😃
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on June 28, 2023, 12:23:28 PM;D  ;D  ;D

Well you'll just have to learn patience  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 28, 2023, 11:49:37 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on June 28, 2023, 12:23:28 PM;D  ;D  ;D

Well you'll just have to learn patience  :angel:
I did learn it..got a certification in ..A grade certified..then I get all excited and it goes completely out the window  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Old Wombat

Turret digi-cam, therefore all of the digi-cam, is DONE! ;D

Not a bad job, if I do say so myself, but the Merkava looks so-o weird in multi-coloured camouflage! :o  ;)

I'm leaving it looking fairly rough (field applied with disposable quality masks) but, despite that, there are some touch-ups required.

Photo's sometime over the next few days, when/if I get time.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

The great thing about field applied camo is it never looks perfect..they use whatever comes to hand and other times nothing at all.
I've seen German tank's in WW2 where they didn't care what they sprayed over ..tools..tow ropes..Jerry cans ..spare tracks, so yours is accurate to a tee mate 👌

Old Wombat

OK, photo's have arrived now because I have to go to work shortly but I have a double shift tomorrow.

Here they are:

As I said, a few touch-ups (& fixes) required but, overall, I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out. :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Mate where you messed up the marks on the side armour works extremely well at messing with the shape of the tank ..the blurred edges really stuffs up the sides and if you look straight at the sides man is it annoying to make out details.
If you did that to every edge that machine would be bloody difficult to accurately see .
I would leave that exactly how that is bud..it works brilliantly  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

The difference between paper templates & tape templates. ;)

And "Thank you!" :bow:

Wardukw

;D  ;D

Tape mate..only tape for stuff like that..the only problem is no matter how careful I am I always seem to tear off paint somewhere.  :banghead:
I'll get it right at some point 😀

Jakko

Apparently (read: I've never tried this myself), paper templates work very well if you moisten the paper so it sticks to the model.

But the model looks great in that camouflage anyway :)
... I know all this and more ...

Old Wombat

The paper worked pretty well on the hull (I was looking for a little of the over-spray effect, although it did go a bit overboard in places) but the turret, with all its complex shapes & angles meant that tape was the only real option.

Jakko, I tried the wet paper masks on the turret but they didn't really sit down all that well, until they became extremely fragile & tore on every raised bit, & having to wait for the paper & the model to dry before painting was going to extend the build time out considerably further than it is already going.

Jakko

My impression is that the idea is to make the paper just moist enough that it sticks to the model, then spray right away? But like I said, I've never tried this myself ... I might end up trying it on the M247 Sgt. York I intend to build In The Foreseeable Futureā„¢, depending on what kind of what-if version I'll end up deciding on.
... I know all this and more ...

Old Wombat

I'm afraid "damp" didn't cut it with the (surprisingly) complex shape of the hull & turret.