1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)

Started by Old Wombat, May 22, 2023, 01:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Oh Guy .i forgot to ask ya something..have ya ever used Chipping fluid..it's a Ammo product and it's heaven mate..makes chipping a absolute pleasure...beats the hair spray and salt technique hands down....you'll see it at work soon 🙃😉
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

That's so far looking really good!  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Thank you very much, gentlemen! :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Quote from: Wardukw on July 29, 2023, 09:25:57 PMOh Guy .i forgot to ask ya something..have ya ever used Chipping fluid..it's a Ammo product and it's heaven mate..makes chipping a absolute pleasure...beats the hair spray and salt technique hands down....you'll see it at work soon 🙃😉

Thanks for the heads-up, Phill! They have it at BNA. I may give it a go later but I'm not delaying progress just for that. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Oh no no nooo....not be stopping the goodness matey  ;D
But next time  :wacko:  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

The Merkava's sitting in the modelling room covered in hairspray, salt & tape, waiting for some white paint ...  :blink:  ... That just sounds weird!

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 04, 2023, 05:54:18 AMThe Merkava's sitting in the modelling room covered in hairspray, salt & tape, waiting for some white paint ...  :blink:  ... That just sounds weird!
Agreed  :wacko:  ;D  ;D

Old Wombat

Wardukw

Old Wombat

Weathered down the white tonight ... Didn't go quite to plan. :-\

The white, it turns out, is, if not a latex-based paint then, very similar to a latex-based paint &, when I was trying to take off chips, either rolled back, or came off in sheets.

I've fixed it fairly well, I think, but only time, & a bit more weathering, will tell.

Wardukw

I've heard many a horror story  of how the ol hair spray technique can be very hit and miss ..been there to and when it works it's brilliant..when it don't.
My biggest bug bear is its so damn hit and miss...it's a 50/50 crap shoot most times .

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw on August 06, 2023, 12:40:44 PMI've heard many a horror story  of how the ol hair spray technique can be very hit and miss ..been there to and when it works it's brilliant..when it don't.
My biggest bug bear is its so damn hit and miss...it's a 50/50 crap shoot most times .

Phill, the issue in this case was mostly the paint.

I'm not a fan of latex-based paints at the best of times but, when applied over a gloss surface (required for the hairspray & salt techniques), it never adheres to the surface properly & often comes of at the slightest touch.

Lesson learned (Yeah, sure!) - make sure I trial a paint before I use it on something. :rolleyes:

Old Wombat

Now, a few pic's to keep you all posted on where I'm at:

The TC is added to show where he's at, too, as I'm waiting for Ukrainian BDU digi-cam decals to arrive from Ukraine to finish him off.

I used 3mm Tamiya tape to create some visible marks in the white paint equivalent to 100mm/4" masking tape the crew used to mask over the identifying markings.

The tank has had a coat of matt over the white & the panel line pin washes I did last night. A little bit a weathering, a touch of dry-brushing & lots more MUD! (Glorious MUD!) to finish her off.

Anyway, as usual all comments & constructive criticisms welcome. :thumbsup:

Wardukw

The thing is Guy yup you asked for criticism but ghat bloody hard on this build so no you can't have any  :wacko:
By the way that white paint looks like total crap 😐
Perfect for a tank 😀😀
This is a perfectly horrible mucky beauty 👍👍👍

Jakko

That looks very convincing as a worn whitewash.
... I know all this and more ...