1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)

Started by Old Wombat, May 22, 2023, 01:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

That looks rather nice (Up for the understatement of the year in next years Whiffies  ;) )
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Thank you very much, gentlemen! :bow:  :bow:

Happy coincidence - the Ukrainian BDU digi-cam decals arrived today! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

Camo'ed the TC's tanker coveralls from the bottom of the body armour down - because it won't be seen & is, therefore, the perfect practice area. ;)

I'm glad I paid attention to the tips that Ramba (over on BtS) gave out about putting camo decals on figures because, even though I did, I still had some small(ish) issues. :rolleyes:

Still, I've learned a bit - mostly relating to how stiff & fragile the Breeze Decals are until they've soaked up a LOT of Micro Sol. :blink:

Overall, though, still quite happy with this first effort. Hopefully the important upper parts will go a bit better. :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 07, 2023, 08:01:51 PMCamo'ed the TC's tanker coveralls from the bottom of the body armour down - because it won't be seen & is, therefore, the perfect practice area. ;)

I'm glad I paid attention to the tips that Ramba (over on BtS) gave out about putting camo decals on figures because, even though I did, I still had some small(ish) issues. :rolleyes:

Still, I've learned a bit - mostly relating to how stiff & fragile the Breeze Decals are until they've soaked up a LOT of Micro Sol. :blink:

Overall, though, still quite happy with this first effort. Hopefully the important upper parts will go a bit better. :thumbsup:
One thing is certain..camo decals for figures do not like me at all..no matter what I do including youtube vids my luck with this is zero ...so I'll just have to do it by hand  :o
Also it's been said on this site before ..where's the proof ?? 😁😈
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Camo decals are a slow process, in that I have to do one patch then let it settle & dry before doing the next - & it can take a few hours for all the Micro Sol to dry.

Having been looking at the tank, itself, I think the weathering is done as is, any more would be too much.

So, next will be "mudding" &, maybe, the base/dio, but that will need me to be able to sit down at it for several hours uninterrupted, which may not happen for a little while.

In the meantime, onwards & upwards with the TC! :thumbsup:

Wardukw

I'm starting to get impatient with this Guy but slowly getting that under control   ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw on August 08, 2023, 09:07:03 PMI'm starting to get impatient with this Guy but slowly getting that under control   ;D

Patience, young padawan! ;D

At the moment all I can say for how it's going is "I'm glad I'm using a digi-cam, where most of my faults are camouflaged by the camouflage!" :-\

This is, obviously, primarily a side-effect of my inexperience using the things but may, also, be something to do with this brand of decal; the body armour decals may indicate if this is so, as they're a different brand (but are also Ukrainian),

Time will tell! ;)

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 09, 2023, 08:32:07 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 08, 2023, 09:07:03 PMI'm starting to get impatient with this Guy but slowly getting that under control   ;D

Patience, young padawan! ;D

At the moment all I can say for how it's going is "I'm glad I'm using a digi-cam, where most of my faults are camouflaged by the camouflage!" :-\

This is, obviously, primarily a side-effect of my inexperience using the things but may, also, be something to do with this brand of decal; the body armour decals may indicate if this is so, as they're a different brand (but are also Ukrainian),

Time will tell! ;)
I had 3 sheets of uniform camo decals from Trumpeter..brand new..totally fell to bits and stiff are printing paper..utterly useless..Mocro set and sol wouldn't do a thing with em ..since then I haven't really bothered .

Old Wombat

A photo for the impatient people (person) ;) ;

Click For Bigger View (CFBV)

Wardukw

Hahaha 😀 😆 no name mentioned 🤣
He looks awesome mate...really looks the bis 👍👍

Very nice work with decals 😊

Old Wombat

No names were used to protect the guilty. :wacko:

Well, it turns out that's the easier sheet to deal with (Breeze Decals).

The Print Scale decals are even thinner, & more fragile, & take longer to come off the backing, although it appears that if I use Humbrol DecalFix to start with, then use the Microscale products it seems to hold together a little better.

With a larger pattern I think it would be much more difficult to hide the errors that I've made but the biggest difference comes from the printers & how they've printed the decals, & (I assume) with what type of ink.

Still, even with the stuff-ups, looked at from 12" to 8" away the decals still look good; it's only at 4" with a magnifier that you can see most of the repairs, & even some of those you need to know where they are & really look for them.

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 09, 2023, 07:54:36 PM...looked at from 12" to 8" away the decals still look good; it's only at 4" with a magnifier that you can see most of the repairs, & even some of those you need to know where they are & really look for them.

Stop looking so close is something I have to frequently remind myself of.  Especially with PSR.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Little chap looks good  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on August 10, 2023, 03:39:52 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 09, 2023, 07:54:36 PM...looked at from 12" to 8" away the decals still look good; it's only at 4" with a magnifier that you can see most of the repairs, & even some of those you need to know where they are & really look for them.

Stop looking so close is something I have to frequently remind myself of.  Especially with PSR.

I take my glasses off  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

It's that classic the more you look the more you find sort of deals and in most cases..it's a crappy deal so  I now work with this system...if I  can see it but you can't see it then it's not there  ;D

Old Wombat

My theory is: If I can minimise the number of faults I can see at 4" under magnification, the less likely anyone is to see them at 12".

Anyway, more photo's of the TC;

CFBV

He'll be getting a thin gloss coat tonight &, probably, some oil washes.

Then tomorrow I'll hit him with a matt coat & some dry brushing, followed by fitting the final pieces (mic & binoculars) & another matt coat.

After that he should be done!

Then it's back to the main event! ;)